What are you cooking with your game meat?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the biggest benefits of hunting is the ready supply of healthy meat it provides for us. In our household we don't purchase meat or fish at all, except for the occasional meal out at restaurants. I love knowing that the meat we eat is well cared for from start to finish, and that it is totally free of chemicals, hormones and preservatives. What do you all cook with the game meat you bring home?

Last night at our house we had moose burgers:

From the field:
SANY0824.jpg

To the table:
IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
WOW. Actually I just finished some whitetail steak.....BUT those burgers look like heaven.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same here for buying meat. I do buy chicken breasts, clean as possible. After my supply of spring turkey runs out, I do buy organic fresh ground turkey. Catch all of our own salmon, walleye, and trout. Then its whitetail, antelpe, muley, elk, and bear. We do burgers, steaks, stews, roasts, tacos, enchiladas, hot dishes, chilis, you name it. I would hunt regardless even if I couldn't eat it, but I wonder how much $ I save in grocery bills each year? Probably scare me....especially if you compare to restaurant prices!

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would hunt regardless even if I couldn't eat it, but I wonder how much $ I save in grocery bills each year?
Us too...course when you factor in the price of all our gear--tents, packs, optics, clothing, boots etc. the price per pound goes up a little :)
We are currently running three freezers, and have on hand moose, caribou, blacktail, mountain goat, dall sheep, black bear, halibut, salmon and maybe a little ptarmigan. which reminds me since it's less than 6 months to go, I had probably better do an inventory and figure out what we have left to try to use up before next season.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
No doubt it isn't cheap. However considering I would do it regardless, I don't look at it as an expense...I envy your meat selection....and maybe the part where you harvest it too!!:)

7mag.

WKR
I just finished some delicious blacktail steaks. Even have a little left over for lunch tomorrow. My son and I love wild game, but my wife is hesitant. We eat it regularly, but sometimes she has chicken instead. She's coming around to liking deer, but doesn't care for elk, which I think is crazy. I would love for her to try some moose someday. We love grouse, and eat a lot of salmon. I would prefer to do like Becca, and never buy meat. Maybe, someday.

R

rebecca francis

I made spagetti tonight with mule deer burger....delicious. Wild game is pretty much all we eat as well!

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing everyone...I love getting new ideas, and hearing what you all do with different types of game!

7mag.

WKR
Here's my favorite deer backstrap recipe:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Pre-grease casserole dish and put in oven.
Start one cup of brown gravy per steak, cooking.
Saute onions, bell peppers, fresh garlic, and mushrooms.
Set veggies aside, and add a little olive oil to the pan, set on high.
Lightly spread dijon mustard on both sides of steak, then brown both sides.
Pull casserole dish from oven, place steaks in dish, cover with veggies, and then with gravy.
Bake in oven until steak is done to your liking.
Serve with bread, or potatoes, or asparagus.

I'm stuffed from dinner, and my mouth is watering just writing this.

Schleppy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm actually in the middle of cooking a really large venison roast from the buck I posted pics of on the whitetail page. I'm using Les Welch's recipe from the Nutrition page. I'm just waiting for the Pressure cooker to de-pressurize and it's gonna be some sweet nibblins. I try hard to eat wild game as much as possible, but sometimes living in WI limits the menu a bit. We can shoot as many deer as we want and 1 bear every 7 years or so, the small game hunting isnt great but we usually manage a few grouse, pheasant, ducks, and squirrels. I need to move to Alaska.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chili and breakfast cassarole!

Last night we had a crowd for dinner, so I cooked up a pot of moose meat chili in the crockpot. Simmered on low all day, served with salad and cornbread.

130a5e82.jpg

Because we had overnight guests I also made a breakfast cassarole with blacktail breakfast sausage, eggs, cheese and green chiles. I made it ahead and refrigerated overnight, then just baked it in the oven this morning...I will be making this one again!

17ffe8e0.jpg

ee9de2d3.jpg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Becca, that looks great. I don't know how you and Luke stay skinny:).

Ryan

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Becca, that looks great. I don't know how you and Luke stay skinny:).

Ryan

Thanks Ryan! We did cross country ski for about 3 hours yesterday, but If we hadn't had company this amount of food would have fed us all week! I often vaccuum seal leftovers and freeze them so I have something to warm up in a hurry, or for times I don't feel like cooking. Luke doesn't cook at all (aside from Mountain House), but he is skilled at washing dishes...

My wife makes some killer elk/deer steaks, couldn't tell you how she does it though. She is crazy good in the kitchen.
My oldest daughter is hooked on deer meat tacos, and my youngest loves deer chili.
I love smoked turkey, but I have to be honest I hate to clean the things.

You guys have made me seriously hungry!

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
We eat venison at least 5 times a week in one for or another. As an example, my wife smoked a leg of venison over apple wood chunks for 2 hours, then wrapped it in Russian boar bacon, and finished it in the oven for another hour. It was heaven! Had as left overs twice, then used the rest of it to make venison quesssidillas(sp). Today it was venison pastys. About the only meat we by is chicken, and the occasional lamb chop or roast. Chills, gumbos, stews, chops, roast, pasta sauces, you name it, some sort of wild meat that we killed goes into it.

Here is one of my ABSOLUTE favorites: The 2 AM Burger!!

1/2 lb of Antelope per person ( I use -- liquid smoke, season salt, Pampered Chef Smokey BBQ Rub, Weber Garlic and Herb seasoning, Garlic Salt, Pepper )
Hash Browns ( I use either Yukon Golds or Reds from the garden )
Egg ( cooked over easy )
Colby/Jack cheese ( I know use store bought here )

ADDITIONAL: I have tried it with fresh tomato ( again from the garden ) when available

My side is the salad pictured. All from my folks' garden except for the croutons and dressing :)
2011-04-03_21-40-18_325.jpg

P1040832.jpg