Where are my penny pinchers? Budget time

CMF

WKR
Family of five, 10,13,15 and Homeschooling so they're eating at home every day. Two years ago we were probably around 1k a month including other household stuff like laundry detergent, etc.
We probably buy less food now, but spend more. We've been steadily trying to cut back to get us all in better shape.
Cutting snacks back could definitely be a big one and I think it's all what they're used to. You have to set the expectation that they aren't getting snacks just because they ask for them. One of my kids was really bad about that and still does it at other places, like his pops, but he finally knows not to ask me or the wife now. A few years back my wife's grandmother watched our kids, she'd give them whatever they want and they were overweight. We've been dialing it back ever since. For the past year or so, most days we just do a brunch or early lunch between 1030-12 and dinner around 5-6 with one snack in between and it's usually nuts or fruit.
They also usually eat better when they aren't getting snacks. It's comical to watch my buddy let his kids have two bags of chips an hour before dinner and then struggle to get them to eat dinner.
We also mostly drink water, they get a flavored or Gatorade mix a day. Occasionally almond milk cause it's less calories and doesn't go bad compared to regular.
If we're not using game meat, we shop sales like whole pork loin and cut our own chops, or family packs of chicken thighs for multiple dishes like alfredo, wraps, salads, or just cut in pieces and toss in wing sauce.
It definitely depends on where you shop too. We travel around the country and sometimes find it better to make a 30 or 40-minute trip to a Walmart vs a small-town grocery. But sometimes the small town groceries have better sales. Some areas of the country are just much higher.