What to do with all that Goose in your freezer

Well not sure how many people in here are like me and just like to watch birds fold up after taking a shotgun blast. But needless to say during hunting season, I don't have much time to prepare meals soon after harvesting them, so they generally get vacuum sealed and thrown in the freezer. 2 or 3x now the wife has asked me to cook up the goose meat in the freezer because she's messed it up her last 2 attempts. She even threatened to feed the dogs.

Saturday I pulled every last bit of it out of the freezer to thaw and headed to the garden to pull some herbs. I didn't actually measure everything out but I can get you in a ballpark for this recipe. It was ~7# of trimmed goose breast. I say roughly because i cooked some up and had 5# i packed in tubes and froze for later.

7# goose breast cut into whatever strips you deam appropriate for your grinder
1/8 cup sea salt/himalayan salt
8oz red wine. Preferrably a cabernet sauvignon
3 heads of garlic minced .. Not cloves.. I used 3 heads of garlic which probably equates to probably 25 cloves
~1/8 cup of tallow so the meat doesn't dry out when cooked
1/4 cup Herbs de Provence- This part is a guesstimate. All the herbs were fresh from the garden and we used A LOT. Dried however it was probably around 1/4 cup. If you're following this recipe and using dry ingredients I would suggest cooking a very small amount of the grind and seeing how much you might want to adjust

I threw the unground meat and seasoning into a bowl, hand mixed and ran through the grinder 2x with a 4.5mm grind plate(i think its a 3/16 plate)
The 2nd grind was just to more thoroughly mix the seasoning into the meat. I don't use a meat mixer

Needless to say.. These turned out completely off the wall delicious when paired with a fresh pasta and fresh tomato sauce. The wife has regained confidence to cook with this concoction

amassi

WKR
I was looking inside for best ways to cook it for the dog. My British Lab gets it mixed in over a couple months.
Crockpot and shred. Use the juice it renders over dry food.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
D
I was looking inside for best ways to cook it for the dog. My British Lab gets it mixed in over a couple months.

I throw my dogs a few geese each season. Last year he ate an entire goose.. I breasted it out and left it on my tailgate. Came out the next morning and it was gone.. I figured he was being a lazy ass and letting foxes on the property. 2 days later I see him shitting out feathers

I braise them down in stock then shred and stick under the broiler with a little bbq sauce.

I'll have to give this method a shot since I still have a few geese and a bag of deer trim.

Pastrami is the best use of geese breasts. I will do up a couple batches with 10-12 lobes per batch...after I pull them from the smoker I let then cool..then vac pack and freeze in 2 packs...makes great app dishes with cheese and crackers for parties or just sandwiches with cheese and some jalapeño mustard.

Jerky is my favorite way to eat goose or duck. Used to make a couple of the over complicated waterfowl meals twice a year and that was more than enough. We used to just give a lot of our geese to the zoo whole.

It takes a whole weekend to make something that is tender enough to not worry about losing one of my crowns with each bite. I think every recipe I've seen for goose/duck includes soaking it in a half gallon of some liquid, then cooking it in another liquid, multiple temperatures, a half hour on dictionary.com, two trips to whole foods, and enough booze to fool yourself into thinking it tastes good. You want duck for Christmas, honey? Ok, remind me to start soaking it in saltwater, wine, and some overseas herb I can't pronounce by Thanksgiving! I've got kids I would like to see grow up, I don't have time to cook goose. My recipe for everything else is my freezer is salt and fire and it almost always turns out fantastic!

(they're just jokes guys, enjoy your waterfowl. I envy all the spare time you must have!)

rideold

WKR
Some of the best tacos I've had were "pulled" goose barbacoa. That said, I didn't cook them but I sure ate a ton. I've had squirrel done the same way and it was quite tasty as well.

KJH

WKR
My true hunting passion waterfowl... some years LOTS of geese come home. I've done about everything you can with them. My easiest go-to recipe treats them like beef, not birds.

Split the breasts the thin way so you end up two breast size filets out of each side of the breast (4 total per bird). The slice them the long way. In the end you have 8 pieces per bird that are 1.5 inches by 4-5 inches by half inch. Sorry for poor explanation of that. Then marinade them 8-24 hours in Italian dressing.

Once the marinade period is done roll each piece up around some fresh vegetable (onion, green pepper, jalapeno, mushroom, etc. Pin them together with a toothpick. You can wrap in bacon if you want. Grill on high heat until about a medium rare. Baste with Italian dressing or soy sauce before you pull them off.

My other regular recipes are making into corned beef (goose), shredded BBQ beef, and jerky. My uses have changed and evolved overtime.

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
I was given a 1930's Hobart grinder. Damn thing weights 75 or 100 lbs. Me and the neighbors once a year get together and grind meat. We make breakfast sausage and link sausage. We grind everything. Ill be giving meat away come December. My freezer stays full...

dtrkyman

WKR
Before freezing I like to render some bacon fat in an iron skillet or dutch oven, pull the bacon and crank the heat, sear the goose breast on both sides and slide into the oven for 10ish minutes, just keep it rare.

Eats like roast beef! Still good that way after freezing but better fresh!

M1D

FNG
My favorite 80% goose 20% pork shoulder or bacon. Grind and mix with pork sausage seasoning , Put into 1lb packages, freeze and use it in place of ground beef all year.

duckp

FNG
get some salamie seasoning grind up real fine make snack sticks with it very good i put some high temp cheese and a few ground up halapinos in it

metau

FNG
Pastrami is the best use of geese breasts. I will do up a couple batches with 10-12 lobes per batch...after I pull them from the smoker I let then cool..then vac pack and freeze in 2 packs...makes great app dishes with cheese and crackers for parties or just sandwiches with cheese and some jalapeño mustard.
Do you pickle it or go straight to the smoker?

Charkan72

FNG
I use to take all my goose meat in at the end of season and have summer sausage made out of it.

yfarm

WKR
Shot white geese during the conservation season in Feb., filleted out the breasts, butterflied pan seared with seasoning, indistinguishable from good beef filets.