Weight Loss For Hunting in 2024

KodaJax

FNG
This was a great podcast about the problems with sugar and processed foods:

Its literally this simple.

Think thermodynamics. Eat less food and you will be less fat. By eating only a normal lunch every day (no breakfast, no dinner) I can lose over a pound a day. It's not easy, but it is that simple.
I’ve tried a lot of diets. From Keto to Atkins to Whole30 to Mediterranean. All have worked at different points in my life. I couldn’t find anything that worked for me over the last few years. Found myself a bit over 300lbs on a 5’9” frame. At 51 I felt horrible and wasn’t doing, or even able to do, things I enjoy.

I decided to take control. I am blessed with health, other than my weight. Never had a single prescription in my entire life. I decided to get on Mounjaro to see if that would help. That was September 1st. I’m down 63 pounds. Feeling better every day. Now doing 8 miles every other day on the treadmill and lifting weights again. First sheep hunt booked in NWT this fall. I will be 188 by then (famous last words I’m sure). The motivation plus just the ability to move again have been a blessing.

Hard work and discipline alone weren’t getting it done for me anymore and I don’t regret doing what I needed to get kick started. I can’t wait until July.

How is everyone doing on their diets? I am exactly one month into the carnivore diet and am down 12lbs.

Doing much better this go around. No urge to cheat except for when grandma has a pot of gumbo on the stove

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
This was a great podcast about the problems with sugar and processed foods:

Thank God someone posted this. I have watched people with sugar addictions eat nearly nothing and still not lose weight effectively. The only calories they would eat when on their diet were candy bars because they couldn't give up the junk food. The constant insulin ruins them.

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
Down 15 since the 1st. Started Carnivore diet mid December. I am consistently down 2- 3 lbs a week. Just starting to add a little exercise to the routine. Want to make sure I get my 10k steps. If I can get under 200 (209 now) by April 1st, the nicer weather will help me get to the goal. I think 185-190 ideally. Started at 230 on December 8th.

BFM

FNG
Started carnivore Jan 1 with the plan to just do it for the month. Lost so much and feel so good that I've been continuing. On 12/30 I weighed mid day at 249lb. This morning I was 212lb. I have a pretty muscular build and am surprised I've been able to lose that much while maintaining a decent amount of lean mass. I wish I would have done a blood test before but I did not... so as long as I'm feeling good I am not inclined to do one now.
Have been dealing with a herniated disc and not lifting as much, just some light work and dog walks.

Down 11. I've just been tracking my food, cutting back drinking alcohol, and walking several days a week. Hope to keep it going into the spring and drop another 10. This seems to be the hard part for me--sustaining it.

chris

My company just started an incentivized steps and weight loss challenge.

I am going to turn up the intensity this month and try to win them both. Aiming for a minimum of 10K steps a day. I am going to do my best to lace up the Crispi's and get at least 3 miles a week on them at a nearby park with some trails. I am getting anxious that I won't be in good enough shape for my 9-day April AZ bear hunt in April. Will be my first backcountry hunt.

TaperPin

WKR
For 4 weeks I’ve been losing about two pounds a week, which is fast enough, but damn, being hungry all day sucks - this has to be the hardest year I can remember. In the past it was easy to buckle down and tough out losing 3-1/2 lbs a week, but age is wrecking my metabolism. On the plus side it is nice eating a fairly decent amount of food, but I miss those snacks.

The funny part is one week our chicken soup was litterally the best soup ever of all time. Then last Sunday the omelet at a little breakfast place was the best ever. Apparently the new normally bland diet has really brought out flavors. Lol

For some reason steel cut oats really fills me up for relatively few calories. I like turkey sausage links so one of those helps break up the blandness. No snacks other than celery, carrots, oranges or apples. Lunch is a normal sandwich of some kind, and dinner is a chicken breast, big salad and veggies.

LongOdds

FNG
Carnivore, Keto, Low Carb, Whole 30.......

Doesn't really matter. Find the low carb version that works for you, stick to it, add some exercise, and the weight will come off. (easier said than done, tho)

Yoder

WKR
I've leveled off at 175. So that's down 17lbs since Christmas. I've been lifting weights a lot more and cut back the cardio. Even though I haven't lost any more weight, I just got down to the last loop on my belt. I think that's a good sign. I don't want to just lose weight, I want to build more muscle and lose fat.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Down 72 now. 40 lbs to go to hit 188 by July 23rd!
Great stuff man! Aweosme reading everything here with everyone getting in better shape. Love to see it.

Besides backcountry hunting, fitness is another passion of mine. Has lead me now to take a course to become a certified personal trainer cuz I love seeing people getting better and really want to help with that where I can.

Best diet in my opinion is the one that works for u and stick to! Cut out the processed junk , dial back the alcohol, and stick to as much whole foods as u can. Then just stick with that over time! Thats the 80/20 imo

cusecat04

FNG
down 15 after looking at the scale Christmas eve and wondering how the hell did I get here....
started after the new year so 15 in 6-ish weeks.
nothing crazy diet wise just trying not to eat like a gluttonous a-hole and cutting back on the drinks.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
down 15 after looking at the scale Christmas eve and wondering how the hell did I get here....
started after the new year so 15 in 6-ish weeks.
nothing crazy diet wise just trying not to eat like a gluttonous a-hole and cutting back on the drinks.
Thats it right there man. Good stuff

DuckDogDr

WKR
Did a first true work out for the 2024 year. I’ve been slacking from 2023.
I know I’ve been having a hard time enjoying some of the things I used to do , and the waders I bought in September didn’t fit by January and that was embarrassing…

So did a kettle bell circuit, farmers carries and walking lunges today and dayumm

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
One of the biggest things I’ve seen is people quitting by month two because they see so much progress in month one, but they can’t replicate it and that’s fine! I’ve seen people lose 30 pounds in a month, but then get discouraged when they only lose 5-10 the next one. Just keep grinding!

BowBaboon

FNG
The funny part is one week our chicken soup was litterally the best soup ever of all time. Then last Sunday the omelet at a little breakfast place was the best ever. Apparently the new normally bland diet has really brought out flavors. Lol
This is the exact thing I noticed! I gave up sugar and most processed foods. I've only eaten out a few times since the beginning of the year. The flavors pop every time the wife and I make a new dish.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm down 11 lbs since January 1 (257lbs down to 246). I'm 6ft. My first goal is get down to 235. From their I'll see what's realistic to get down to later this year.

I'm doing Kettlebell workouts 3 to 5 days a week, with some rowing or neighborhood hikes with a weighted backpack thrown in.

For food, my breakfasts and lunches have been this: https://huel.com/. About $250 a month for all Breakfasts/lunches for the month and healthy snack bars. Eating these pre-prepped meals has helped me stay disciplined in my calorie intake.

runnhunt

FNG
You don’t need some crazy detailed plan or fad diet… Just eat a bit healthier. Lay off the soda and sugar. Get out and move around with a purpose once per day. Watch the weight fall off.
Yep! I second this. Eating clean and healthy and moving everyday. Set goals and hold yourself accountable.