Washington Archery Elk hunters …

RockJock1

FNG
Finally! Yesterday the temps dropped and a little cold rain got the action going. It’s been quiet in 513+516 the last 2 weeks, but now it’s on and bam.

Attachments

• 054CCD56-AB60-4FAF-A09C-890CA7BC275F.jpeg
    054CCD56-AB60-4FAF-A09C-890CA7BC275F.jpeg
    587.5 KB · Views: 70
  • B2021904-3B28-4269-81E0-E40210F81A4C.jpeg
    B2021904-3B28-4269-81E0-E40210F81A4C.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 70
Pros to hunting NE WA…you’re alone.

Cons to hunting NE WA…”alone” includes no wildlife.

Never have I seen such a great landscape so devoid of life.
Not sure if you're from up that way or just visiting, but just about anyone from there will tell you it's the wolves.

Met a guy through a friend of a friend that told us some stories around the campfire at our turkey camp. He'd moved out to Kettle Falls and had been hunting there for 4 years and finally found a good elk spot. He went back the next weekend to "booby traps" and signs saying "stay out", etc. Said it was sketchy enough for him to not want to go back.

It's a beautiful part of the state, but also the only place I've had negative interactions with other hunters. Lots of dudes driving roads with loaded guns and people that don't want to share a trailhead.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Not sure if you're from up that way or just visiting, but just about anyone from there will tell you it's the wolves.

Met a guy through a friend of a friend that told us some stories around the campfire at our turkey camp. He'd moved out to Kettle Falls and had been hunting there for 4 years and finally found a good elk spot. He went back the next weekend to "booby traps" and signs saying "stay out", etc. Said it was sketchy enough for him to not want to go back.

It's a beautiful part of the state, but also the only place I've had negative interactions with other hunters. Lots of dudes driving roads with loaded guns and people that don't want to share a trailhead.
Had similar situations on my moose hunt in 2016. Many "Private Road No Trespassing" signs on public roads. Local sheriff took care of that shit. A few known bad apples. 13 days hunting and never seen an elk or a mule deer. 1 million turkeys though.

MTtrout

WKR
Sounds like the North Idaho boys have been crossing state lines

RockJock1

FNG
Anyone hit the stretch of public lands on the east side of Lake Roosevelt, just south of Northport? I was up there in July and again for a couple days last week, and stopped at some of the campgrounds along the lake to check their maps. Looked like great habitat, but I only saw turkeys crossing the road.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
I was able to connect on the last day at 5:30pm on west cascades elk. . . I was ohh so close to the herd bull a few times, but I'm more than happy with this one. First ever elk.
How close was the shot ? Did you call him in ??

duckhuntr

FNG
How close was the shot ? Did you call him in ??
18 yards. Yes I called him in. I stopped him 1 step too short behind a big tree and thought it was all over/that he would spook. Luckily he took a few more steps.

dromero

FNG
Elk since 2002. I've done West side archery, East rifle, and a majority of it East archery. Can't hunt arch season this year so may go rifle Eastside.