Warm Boots for Stand Hunting?

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the secret, tested on a Saskatchewan deer hunt, 60hrs on stand, as in 6, 10hr days. And no, didn't get anything....

Anyway, I took felt pack boots, artic shield boot covers. The secret is, I taped hand warmers over the toe box on the pack boots, then put the artic shields over the boots.

Feet never got cold. I only wore thin liner socks , so I had a lot of air apace and room in the boots. Don't lace the boots tight, it cuts off circulation in your foot.

Temps were single digits several days, no problem.

You can even tape the body warmers, if you want more boot toe box coverage.

Warmers, electrical or duct tape are your friends.

I waited till I got to the pop up blind to complete the setup. You can do the same thing in a tree stand.

You could probably do the same thing on leather insulated boots in the teens and 20s, without the boot blanket, and keep your feet warmer.

You can feel the heat on your toes coming through the boot.

Easy peasy.....
Pretty much what I do, only I rarely tape the warmer on. It's nice to be able to lift my toes up tight to the top of my boot, and feel the heat of the warmer.

Before I had boot blankets, I'd tape the warmers on, then wrap in an old sweatshirt. Worked just as well, but was less convenient.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
For stand/still hunting where I’m not hiking in more than a mile or so at very slow speeds…. I have a few years old pair of 850 gram insulated water proof Irish setter boots that keep my feet super warm.

ltkasten

FNG
I can vouch for the Arctic Shields as well. Used a set while ice fishing this winter and after throwing a few hand warmers in each one it was bearable even with uninsulated boots.

GWHunter

FNG
What I have found to work well is spraying my feet with unscented spray antiperspirant during the winter to stop most of the sweat. I thin liner sock over a heavyweight wool sock and a lightly insulated boot for the walk in. Once in stand, I untie and loosen the laces of the boot, put a large body warmer over the top of the toe box of my boot and put on the Artic Shield boot warmer. If crossing water and I have to wear rubber boots, I take off the rubber boots once in stand and put the body warmer and boot blankets on over top of the just the socks. This year I may try and bring a pair of crocs or similar shoe to put on if wearing rubber boots to the stand.

If you can find a rubber boot with the pull out insulation layer, those are what I have found to work great in wet areas. Ordered mine on fleet farms websites for $50 not on sale. Add a hand warmer to that when it gets really cold and your set. I’ve never had good luck with an over insulated rubber boot with the insulation built in. The removable insulation layer allows a barrier of warmth between you and your boot and it transfers some of the moisture out of your socks into it.

GeoFish

FNG
If your feet get cold it is not always your boots. In 2019 I hunted Iowa. We had two mornings at 16F. With my Cabelas stand hunter and Iceman boots I was warm head to toe. Later in the week the low was 27F. Same boots, gloves. Mid and base layers. I wore a 150 gr thinsulite bibs and a 200 gr coat. My core felt warm, but my feet and hands got cold. My core was loosing too much heat and my body directed blood flow to my core.

Scrappy

WKR
I used artic shields for several years in many different configurations with ok results. The last couple years I ditched heavy boots all together and stopped wearing boots at all on stand. Western mountaineering down booties is the only way to go for sure enough toasty feet. A hand warmer in each and I'm absolutely toasty down to 12 below so far. https://www.westernmountaineering.com/down-garments/booties/standard-down-booties/

All I wear in is a light pair of 400gr boots to hang my stand then climb in and put on my booties. I made some insoles for them so standing on my stand didn't hurt my feet but other than that no more heavy boots or over boots for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220417-123238_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220417-123238_Photos.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 32

*zap*

WKR
Depending on how cold it is I use artic shield or Icebreaker over boots.....little or no insulation for the footwear I walk to the stand in, the exception would be if it is either/or extreme cold or snow. I also have wm down booties but those are more for camping...

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
As what has been said...Artic Shield over boot.

Get hand warmers and tape them over the toe box of your boots, then put the artic shield on.

Electrical or duct tape works. Just something to keep them in place over the toe box.

Keep the boots you currently have, and do the above

I'm looking into some new boots for the upcoming season? My feet stay cold and I'm looking for something different. I've been using Muck Arctic Pro but my feet still get cold with those and merino socks with a wicking base. What does everyone recommend for cold weather boots for stand hunting?
When it's real cold (up to 25 above) I wear Lacrosse Ice Kings, (20's to 30's) Muck boots. Always use chem toe warmers, and on the walk in I wear regular cotton socks inside of a gallon ziplock bags, and change too 2 pairs of wool when I get there. That way my feet are dry.

Mikido

WKR
You want warm feet? Put on another hat. It’s that simple. Warmth comes from the core. I wear chinooks. Very spacious (allowing the toes to keep wiggling) $30 rubber boots with a wool liner. I also wear thin/medium sized gloves.

I’m thin as a rail and hate the cold. I tree stand hunt and kayak duck hunt into the 10’s with no problem hours on end.

Get that core temp up! (And throw away your cotton and polyester)

Jimbee

WKR
Neos overshoes work pretty well for me. I've also battled cold feet. Any really warm boot I wear makes my feet sweat a little and then they freeze. Lightweight hiking boots or even tennis shoes with lightweight merino wool socks and neos overshoes are the best thing I've found. I work outside and everyone has gone to overshoes when it gets cold.

kordo

FNG
You can probably solve your issue with better insoles. I use the muck arctic pros, and didn't like the original insoles. Switched to some felt thermal insoles and have had countless all day stand sits in the late season with no issues.