Warm Boots for Stand Hunting?

Crazy Coot

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking into some new boots for the upcoming season? My feet stay cold and I'm looking for something different. I've been using Muck Arctic Pro but my feet still get cold with those and merino socks with a wicking base. What does everyone recommend for cold weather boots for stand hunting?

2muchhp

WKR
Artic shield over boots, not as packable as some but for cold temps in the stand they absolutely work for me. You can even toss a hand warmer in. In Northern MI when its friken really cold its the only thing I've found that works.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Check out the Footwear sub forum. There are lots of threads on this topic.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Artic shield over boots, not as packable as some but for cold temps in the stand they absolutely work for me. You can even toss a hand warmer in. In Northern MI when its friken really cold its the only thing I've found that works.
I've tried dozens of different boots to try and keep my feet warm, and none ever worked. Over boots are the only solution, and let me walk in wearing comfortable boots rather than some giant, bulky, heavy boots that suck to walk in.

Gen273

WKR
Hoffman's double insulated mountaineer pack boots are the warmest I have ever tried. I have battled cold feet all my life.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I've always used these:

I don't have experience with anything else, but those work for me. Not the greatest if you have lots of difficult walking to do, but manageable. I usually just switch to hiking boots when I need to go retrieve an animal since I go and shed layers anyway.

mgmicky

FNG
Arctic Shields for me too. After hunting 25+ years in the Midwest, they are the only option that really worked for me. Just strap them to your pack for the hike in and out and you hardly know they are there. It’s hard to believe that they can be so lightweight but warm…

pk_

WKR
The arctic shield’s did not seem to work at all with my rubber boots. Plus they are bulky and loud.

For rubber boots the best thing I have found is a light-med merino sock (and merino liner) in a boot that is .5-1 size oversized for your foot. Once at the stand, the boots slide off easy and I put on a pair of neoprene wader socks. Slide the boot back on. The neoprene will soak up any moisture and still keep your feet warm, just like a wetsuit in cold water…

I get cold feet very easy and that keeps my feet warm down below freezing. If you are talking about extreme cold, I would be looking at some Mickey Mouse boots or some other extreme cold weather boots mentioned above. Your typical ‘thinsulate’ or cold weather, whatever box store boots don’t cut it in extreme cold if you get cold feet easy IMO.

Artic Shield blankets and the large size chemical warmers over uninsulated LaCross Alpha Burly Pros work for me. The warmers are the key though, without them the blankets do very little.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
If you are walking very far to your stand, then I also vote for comfortable light-moderate insulated boot with boot blankets once you get on stand. If not walking far then a quality pac boot could also be considered. My extra advice with pac boots is to select one that has beefed up insulation in the underfoot section to insulate from cold under your feet. Either the pac boot or boot blanket option can be enhanced with the addition of chemical toe warmer.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
A little off topic but four years ago I started using Lenz electric socks in my waders while winter steelhead fishing and I could not believe how warm they kept my feet. I’ve since used them for stand hunting. They have been a game changer for me. No more clunky boots, over boots and chemical packs. When my feet get a little cold I simply use a phone app to turn the heat level up in my socks.

The only downside is the socks were very expensive and now I have a basement full of winter boots I hardly ever use.

Baffin Apex. They're expensive but they work. I have nerve issue that mess with my feet when cold out so I bought heated insoles as well. Haven't tried the insoles while hunting but they were outstanding at an outdoor hockey game when it was 15 degrees. If it weren't for the nerve issues the Apex would be fine by itself I believe.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the secret, tested on a Saskatchewan deer hunt, 60hrs on stand, as in 6, 10hr days. And no, didn't get anything....

Anyway, I took felt pack boots, artic shield boot covers. The secret is, I taped hand warmers over the toe box on the pack boots, then put the artic shields over the boots.

Feet never got cold. I only wore thin liner socks , so I had a lot of air apace and room in the boots. Don't lace the boots tight, it cuts off circulation in your foot.

Temps were single digits several days, no problem.

You can even tape the body warmers, if you want more boot toe box coverage.

Warmers, electrical or duct tape are your friends.

I waited till I got to the pop up blind to complete the setup. You can do the same thing in a tree stand.

You could probably do the same thing on leather insulated boots in the teens and 20s, without the boot blanket, and keep your feet warmer.

You can feel the heat on your toes coming through the boot.

Easy peasy.....