Warm Boots for Stand Hunting?

GeoFish

FNG
You want warm feet? Put on another hat. It’s that simple. Warmth comes from the core. I wear chinooks. Very spacious (allowing the toes to keep wiggling) $30 rubber boots with a wool liner. I also wear thin/medium sized gloves.

I’m thin as a rail and hate the cold. I tree stand hunt and kayak duck hunt into the 10’s with no problem hours on end.

Get that core temp up! (And throw away your cotton and polyester)
What is your best cold weather hat?
I wear a 2XL and it's hard to find a good hat that fits.

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking into some new boots for the upcoming season? My feet stay cold and I'm looking for something different. I've been using Muck Arctic Pro but my feet still get cold with those and merino socks with a wicking base. What does everyone recommend for cold weather boots for stand hunting?
I second the arctic shield overboots. They allow you to hike to your stand in lighter boots preventing overheating your feet and perspiration that will inevitably bring the chill. Once your setup toss em on and your good.

WRM

WKR
There's cold feet, which may be helped by a "warmer core" or other tricks of the trade. Then there's poor circulation, which results in cold extremities. I have poor circulation, and my extremities get cold no matter how warm the rest of me is. If that's you, read on...

The overboots have only been minimally helpful to me. Gave up on the ones mentioned over and over.

I have gotten good relief from vapor barrier socks. I use ones made by RBHdesigns. Takes a little getting used to the "wet foot", but it does work. You can try this with a thin plastic bag like a bread loaf sack. Stick your foot in bag (no socks) then right into your boot. That may have saved me a couple of digits on one trip.

It's miserable--good luck!!

Birddog00

FNG
I bought a pair of lacrosse agility 1200g this year and they are amazing for Michigan cold at least. They blow my Alphaburly's out of the water

ahammer

FNG
I do best with uninsulated boots and artic shield covers than I do with my artic pros or 1600 g lacrosse

Kyle K

FNG
Putting carpet on you tree stand base so that your feet aren't on metal and there's no cold air coming from underneath makes a huge difference too

HCMike

FNG
Classified Approved
I'm looking into some new boots for the upcoming season? My feet stay cold and I'm looking for something different. I've been using Muck Arctic Pro but my feet still get cold with those and merino socks with a wicking base. What does everyone recommend for cold weather boots for stand hunting?
One of your biggest enemies in staying warm is ability to breathe and dissipate the moisture. I found that walking to my stand made my feet sweat as much as my body. Feet would absolutely freeze after settling into my stand no matter what boot I had on. Now I do not put on my boots until leaving the truck, wear uninsulated top quality European leather boots, and change my socks as needed. Usually when arriving at stand and maybe again at mid-day. Dress lightly getting to stand and have the necessary layers ready including the Heater Bodysuit. This will keep you toasty even in Midwest below zero, howling wind hunts

Topher502

FNG
huge fan of muck "artic" boots with good wool socks for staying warm in the winter while on stand.

bullnose

FNG
I've had success with boot blankets, but I use the Icebreaker version. They're much bulkier than arctic shield, but they work for me on stand.

Macintosh

WKR
If muck arctic's arent keeping you warm the issue is not your footwear per se. Not that they are the best or warmest, but they are pretty darn good and pretty darn warm, and an incremental difference in insulation above this isnt going to suddenly flip a switch magically making you go from numb to toasty warm. I havent used overboots to hunt in, but hearing how people are using them I'd go out on a limb and suggest that has a lot more to do with moisture management than it does with how "warm" or how well insulating those are, and is worth looking into as one way of achieving warmer feet.
I guided ice climbers for many years, and saw a ton of people with cold feet issues. Usually their feet are fine, there are 3 main issues in play that I see--1) overall heat management, 2) moisture and 3) circulation.
Start with making sure you aren't cutting off the circulation to your toes and feet--if you compress the blood vessels across the top of your foot you WILL have cold feet, no way around it. So make certain your socks are large-enough to not compress your feet, if you wear 2 pr of socks make sure the second pair is oversized enough to not squeeze the first pair too much, etc. Make sure your boots are large enough with all of your socks on to not reduce circulation, and not laced too tightly to reduce circulation.
Next, if ANY part of your body is cold below skin-level 1) put a hat on and/or 2) add a layer on your torso. Your body is trying to keep your brain and your vital organs at temperature, so as soon as it starts getting cold it will reduce blood flow to your extremities (hands and feet) to compensate. You lose a huge % of the heat from your body through your head, so this is usually the easiest and fastest way to manage how warm/cold your feet and hands are. If you are moving and want to stop, throw on the hat or a quick insulating layer while stopped to avoid getting chilled. And shed the layers BEFORE you start sweating--it is NOT a good idea to just bust out the approach to your stand with all your warm clothes on and get all sweaty if there's any issue with staying warm. This is overall heat/moisture management 101, but I'd say it is a learned skill and 99.9% of the hunters I have hunted with east of the rockies, unless they have a cold-weather athletic background or specific training in cold weather (military mtn warefare school or equivalent) are clueless about managing their own body temperature to stay both warm and dry while exerting themselves, so keep it in mind and practice, it takes being able to anticipate how you are personally going to react to exercise in cold weather.
Last, either keep your feet dry, or at least keep the insulation dry and any moisture trapped against your foot--the old military bunny/mickey mouse boots were rubber on the inside so your feet come out soaked and looking like white prunes, but the insulation never got wet. it works. Or, keep your feet and insulation as dry as possible--change socks. One of the biggest ways I get cold feet is from the drive to where I'll be hunting--when I go ice climbing I usually drive there in my street shoes (around here cold wx street shoes are sorel's or 1600g lacrosse, etc), then when I get there I change my socks and put my climbing boots on, and start the trip with dry feet and socks. Even if I wear uninsulated sneakers with no heat to the floor of my truck, my feet still sweat on the drive, so this makes a difference for me personally.
If you still have cold feet you may have a circulation issue, in which case it's not an issue of insulation, it's a physiological inability to warm your extremities. In this case I dont know what choice you have other than adding external heat, i.e. heat packs or electronics, etc. I have never had to do this and I loathe relying on this stuff, but people do use it and it works. You can get heat-producing footbed liners, etc, just again make sure you dont cut off your circulation by putting too much junk in your boots.

Last edited:

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted in the northern most areas of Alberta & Saskatchewan whitetail hunting the end of November & December. I have learned over the years that buying the “best” pair of boots will not keep you warm if they don’t fit properly.

The key to “stand” hunting whitetails in extremely cold weather is to buy boots that are at least a 1 1/2 to 2 inches bigger than your normal size with sock liners and thick wool socks on when you buy a pair of boots. I also bring boot blankets when it’s below zero and place them over my boots. The other thing that I do is bring an extra pair of socks and liners in case your feet sweat on the way to the stand. I take them off and then replace them with dry socks.

I use Cabelas Saskatchewan Pack Boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unckebob

WKR
What is your best cold weather hat?
I wear a 2XL and it's hard to find a good hat that fits.

I have a big head as well. One Size Fits All ... but me. When I lived in New England
- I got lucky and found a big bomber hat at Cabelas
- I like a fleece balaclava that converts into a regular hat when the face mask isn't necessary.

Last edited:

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
Spent 60hrs in a pop-up blind in Saskatchewan.

Felt pack boots and artic shields.

The key is taping large hand warmers over the toebox on each boot, then the artic shields.

I use electrical tape just to keep the heater on the toe box. You can feel the warmth in your toes.

Never got cold feet.

I used to buy 1000 or 1200 thinsulate boots fir cold weather stand hunting. These days I buy Leather ,600 with gortex and focus on my gaiter and sock set up for warmth and moisture control. I find its a better system than just focusing on my boots.

dtrkyman

WKR
Non insualted or lightly insulated hikers, throw on Artic shield covers. Hate bit rubber clumsy boots!!!

Throw a hand warmer or toe warmer in the boot cover when single digits.