Want to know anti-hunting companies

I see that American Airlines, United, Delta and Air Canada have now banned Africa big 5 trophies from their luggage and cargo service. A fall out from Cecil event or so it appears. What is next, no shipping of trophies from Canada on these carriers? A bit concerning and a good example of what happens with media sensationalismM.

I appreciate this thread. So I'd like to bring it up again. I am more concerned with companies that actively fund other companies or organizations that influence legislation. In other words, I don't want to spend money at a business that donates money to organizations who actively fight against hunting rights. If Starbucks donates money to sierra club then I don't want to buy Starbucks. Not saying they do, as I believe facts are very important in threads like this. But I think this is the sort of list that could really benefit people like us that don't want to spend money against our benefit unknowingly. So with facts it would be nice to know where not to spend money. If a few of us just find one company with evidence I believe the information would be beneficial.

Hmmm, saying that you heard someone say "Company X will not sponsor a hunter," and therefore Company X is anti-hunting, is very thin logic.

This is "us versus them" propaganda, and very non-productive.

Someone mentioned Patagonia as being anti-hunting, but Patagonia has already responded to this allegation by simply stating that they make products for those sports enjoyed by the founder, Yvon Chouinard. He surfs, fly-fishes, climbs, etc. His personal choices do not make Patagonia the company an anti-hunting organization. Also, the fact that a company like Patagonia spends money to improve the health of ecosystems, should make the average hunter happy, even if the money isn't always spent 100% the way YOU MIGHT HAVE SPENT IT.

Cripes fellas, this is the kind of idiotic discussion that has mainstream America thinking we're a bunch of yahoos in the woods.

Spot on.

It is interesting that someone on the first page of this thread would list Patagonia as anti-hunting. Stupid. Just stupid.

http://www.idausa.org/campaigns/wild-free2/habitats-campaign/anti-hunting/ Ignorance at it's shiniest.

This is the kind of radicalism that hurts us. Buying goods and services from companies that donate to organizations like these directly impacts our outdoor and hunting rights. Finding out who gives to them is not so easy I've discovered.

Reading that BS just makes me angry. I'd love to start my own fake animal rights non profit and take the money from the people that donate to it and then turn around and send the donations to all the pro hunting and conservation groups like bha, rmef, etc. probably end up in jail but it would be for a good cause!

It would also be a good way to compile a list of companies that support anti hunting!

Reading that BS just makes me angry. I'd love to start my own fake animal rights non profit and take the money from the people that donate to it and then turn around and send the donations to all the pro hunting and conservation groups like bha, rmef, etc. probably end up in jail but it would be for a good cause!

It would also be a good way to compile a list of companies that support anti hunting!

So simply do it the legal way. Don't lie about what your going to do with the money, just say it will be used for habitat restoration or the like, and then make the donations, limiting the manner in which it is used.

Be a good steward of the hunting sport, and people will react positively. REI has always gotten a bad rap for being anti-hunting. I think that is where some of the companies like patagonia get sucked in. I personally have seen a change in attitude from the people at REI. Being a NW guy, we do a lot of shopping at the REI and the Mountain adventure stores. The Mountain Shop in Portland now carries a limited supply of Seek Outside equipment, and says hunters now represent about 30% of their business. I always tell people what I do. When you talk to people, talk about the great hunt experience in the mountains instead of flashing a picture of the dead bruiser in a gut pile. We take for granted that most people are not comfortable with such things, regardless of their views.

Be a good steward of the hunting sport, and people will react positively. REI has always gotten a bad rap for being anti-hunting. I think that is where some of the companies like patagonia get sucked in. I personally have seen a change in attitude from the people at REI. Being a NW guy, we do a lot of shopping at the REI and the Mountain adventure stores. The Mountain Shop in Portland now carries a limited supply of Seek Outside equipment, and says hunters now represent about 30% of their business. I always tell people what I do. When you talk to people, talk about the great hunt experience in the mountains instead of flashing a picture of the dead bruiser in a gut pile. We take for granted that most people are not comfortable with such things, regardless of their views.

I agree 100 percent. People love photos of wild places, one because they are beautiful, but also because it represents somewhere they probably will never go. If all you show is a grip an grin I imagine it's off putting to people who are not comfortable with death. We as hunters understand the harshness of the wild, and animals. Most people don't get to see that side, or choose to ignore it.

Hell I've got buddies at work who have shown me photos that I thought were distasteful.

Last edited:
http://www.idausa.org/campaigns/wild-free2/habitats-campaign/anti-hunting/ Ignorance at it's shiniest.

This is the kind of radicalism that hurts us. Buying goods and services from companies that donate to organizations like these directly impacts our outdoor and hunting rights. Finding out who gives to them is not so easy I've discovered.

Who wrote this essay? Where did you find it? I'm with you I don't want to support any company supporting or funding any sort of anti hunting group.

Jimbo,

I think your analysis needs to go a bit deeper. Patagonia is known for giving money to groups, including groups that are against "canned" hunts, for example. That doesn't make them anti-hunting. The hunting community as a whole should be less afraid of speaking out against unethical hunts, including hunts that are not fair chase. Just because a thing is legal, doesn't make it right for the future of our kids and the planet. Again, you have to ask whether fostering an "us versus them" attitude is going to be productive in the long run, when such a small percentage of the population hunts.

When the population of planet earth snowballs around 2050, what will the non-hunting populace say about our activities? If we're respectful of people and the planet, then we have a fighting chance.

Companies that got their start in mountaineering, like Patagonia (and many others that make excellent backcountry gear) are pro-environment more than they are anti-hunting. And, not everything embraced by the hunting community is good for the long-term outlook of hunting.

I don't know about you, but I want my grandchildren to have the ability to hunt, fish, backpack, see the milky way shining bright over the mountains. If hunting continues to be so unsustainable, for the most part (i.e. guys hauling massive amounts of gear into the woods, atvs, etc.), then that bright future probably will not be there for our grandkids.

Just my two cents...

What is the definition of fair chase? Is a tradition bow hunter more fair chase then a rifle hunter, is a public land hunter more fairchase then a private land hunter. Are using hounds for Bears or lions not fairchase. Becareful trying to define fairchase. When you define fairchase you are giving anti's the ability to use our own words against us. What is canned? Is that pushing historical 100% success rates like some big horn and pronghorn tags/hunts?

Not trying to start a debate just something to think about.

As far as Patagonia I won't buy any of their products, outside of their non pro hunting stance it's hard to put diesel in my truck every week, or heat my home and support them.

Who wrote this essay? Where did you find it? I'm with you I don't want to support any company supporting or funding any sort of anti hunting group.
I found this org online while I was looking for companies that donate to defenders of wildlife. The essay is just a page on their site from what I've gathered. They have links to donate, engage, etc. Actually some of their accomplishments seem commendable but with this anti hunting rhetoric they pose a threat. At the bottom you'll see they are based out of California.

I found this org online while I was looking for companies that donate to defenders of wildlife. The essay is just a page on their site from what I've gathered. They have links to donate, engage, etc. Actually some of their accomplishments seem commendable but with this anti hunting rhetoric they pose a threat. At the bottom you'll see they are based out of California.

Yeah I see now. The way I was viewing it through tapatalk wasn't showing the full website. I see it all now

I'm too lazy to dig it up, but there is a thread from ~2 or so years ago where a blogger reached out to various companies (TNF, Black Diamond, Patagonia, Lowa etc) for a statement on their position regarding hunting. Most were bland, neutral corporate responses, some were responses from interns which were hardly the official company positions and others, Lowa I believe, said something to the effect of "our warehouse manager is a hunter and brings in delicious elk all of the the time for the staff." I don't recall any of them taking a dedicated anti hunting stance. There may have been a "our gear is designed for X,Y&Z, but if hunters are using that same gear, that's cool" sort of sentiment.

Non-pro hunting stance? If by that you mean anti-hunting, how many anti-hunting companies do you who grant money directly to hunting organizations? The notion that Patagonia is anti-hunting is false. Folks need to do the research rather than parroting what they read on the internet.

I agree. I've had some great conversations with store staff about hunting. Many of them are very interested in it and find out quickly that what they see on TV does not accurately represent many hunters.

Non-pro hunting stance? If by that you mean anti-hunting, how many anti-hunting companies do you who grant money directly to hunting organizations? The notion that Patagonia is anti-hunting is false. Folks need to do the research rather than parroting what they read on the internet.

I'll buy Columbia a very pro-hunting company(they have a hunting line) over Patagonia.

Thought it was the Jetboil brand (or the brand that owns JB ) that was anti? Might be remembering wrong but, thought Aron is running a MSR, maybe reactor? That runs off kerosene?

So I think I know a few of the companies, but while watching The Gritty Bowmen, Aron said that MSR which is Casacades Design is anti-hunting that's why he doesn't use them. I was looking for a list of the companies so I can avoid using them. I searched on here and didn't find anything. Anything that anyone can add would be great.
Jimbo

I think you have that backwards. I'm paraphrasing but Aron uses the MSR Reactor as one of his stoves of choice over the Jeboil. Party due that he believes MSR to be more hunting friendly, likes the stove better, and their warranty/customer service is great. Jetboil, he believes, leans anti-hunting and they told him to pound sand after he ruined 3 Jetboils and they didn't warranty any. But his wife still has a Jetboil. Listen to the podcast on backcountry stoves again for details on what he says. You may consider revising your post so folks don't get the impression MSR is anti hunting.

I have also ran both Jetboil and MSR stoves. I ended up keeping the MSR and selling the Jetboil.

Back