Venison Jerky Recipe

ChrisS

WKR
Another thing to try, and it's not "jerky" but it's biltong.

South-African-Biltong-300x199.jpg

It's South African dried meat, traditionally made with very lean game meat and dried in a breezy shaded area. The cure is basically salt and pepper, crushed coriander, and a little cider vinegar. It's different from jerky because you dry larger cuts. Take a sirloin or top round thick cut, about an 1-2" thick and cut it length wise into strips (with the grain) about an 1" thick. Season the strips liberally with kosher salt (bigger salt is better) and pepper. Let the strips sit in a non-reactive bowl (glass or plastic) for an hour to 2 in the fridge. Toast up some coriander seeds in a skillet, just to heat them up until they're aromatic, and then crush them. Remove the strips from the fridge and dip them briefly in a shallow bowl with cider vinegar to wash off excess salt. Coat the strips with the crushed coriander, let rest overnight in the refrigerator, and then hang to dry (people these days use a plastic tote with ventilation holes) in a cool dry place (I do mine in a dehumidified basement). There are many different variations, but this is the basic recipe.

You can also do this with thin strips and dry them in a dehydrator like American jerky. I prefer them to be still pliable and a little soft. Tastes great though.

I made the Alton Brown recipe listed above and really liked it... it is peppery.

So for this last batch I split it in two with the AB recipe and Chipotle Venison Jerky Recipe this one. This is Hank Shaw's web site.

With the Chipotles it is has an initial little kick on the first piece that seems to ease off on the next few pieces... then I can't hardly stop, I want yet another, then another.... then dang where did it go. If you like your jerky a little tangy give this one a try.

It is best after the marinating to dry the meat in paper towel before putting in the oven or the meat could get an outer layer of "mush". I just did this a week ago, it was still good but I am marinating another batch over night and will dry it in paper towel before it goes in the oven. I may even put an hour of smoke on it. I have tried dehydrating and just don't like it as much as smoked or oven dried.

I use black pepper, salt, garlic powder, old bay, and brown sugar as my dry ingredients and Tabasco, worchestershire , soy, and liquid smoke as the wet. I also use about half a sachet of pink salt or cure. I have an old 1950's meat slicer that was my Mom's I'll pull a roast out of the freezer and let it sit about 3 hours then slice it on the slicer, mix the wet and dry and pour it over the sliced meat in a gallon ziploc getting all the meat coated and leave it in the fridge overnight, the next morning I fill up the dehydrator and let it go about 6 hours before I check it. When it's done I reload the dehydrator and continue until it's all done. Mine gets divied up into paper lunch bags, labeled and delivered to friends, my boys ussually take some to school for a favorite teacher too. It doesn't last long. I'm at work so I don't know the exact measurements, i sorta eyeball it anyhow, it's hard to screw it up once you have done it a few times.

I've tired some commercial buffalo jerky made from ground bison that had dried cranberries in it. Made for a spicy yet sweet flavor that was delicious. Has anyone tried something similiar? About to make up my first batch of caribou.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I enjoy a homemade marinade as others have suggested, but I like to put whiskey (the cheaper the better) and sprite in mine along with soy & worchestershire, sugar, and a bunch of spices. After a good soak, pat dry and add Hi Mountain strictly for the preservation aspect. I cut the Hi Mountain down to about 1/4 of their recommendation to minimize the amount of nitrate/nitrites I'm putting into my body but that's a personal thing. I then hit it with a low temp smoke for an hour or two, and finish in the dehydrator to the consistency I prefer.

Depending on batch size I'll portion some in ziplocks and larger quantities in vacuum bags. It's difficult to mess up and fun to experiment! Good luck!

I usually don't put any of the "cure" that comes with commercial mixes on.
Do you guys always put the "cure" on?
I do have salt in the dry rub and a soak in Soy Sauce an Worcestershire over night. I figured that was salty enough to kill most things.
It never lasts more than a couple weeks in my house so I figured it wasn't needed.

71dc82a642abe3429eea2aacf4291e6d.jpg
. Just finished a batch of Caribou jerky, my first attempt. It turned out really tasty. 2 lbs ground Caribou. Cure: All appx. 2 Tbl Spoons of Pink Salt ( no nitrates), 2 Tbl spoons of cracked black pepper, 2 Tbl spoons brown sugar. 1 tspn each of the following: smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder. 2 tspns of crushed red chilis. 2 tspns of chopped dried cranberries. 1/4 cup of Worcestershire. Mixed well into ground Caribou, Put in fridge for 12 hours. Loaded into jerky gun and shot onto dehydrator trays. 5 hours in the dehydrator on high. 170 ish degrees.
63b10401f6f40a6fbe0a15b90bd620ce.jpg
5f9ecaa1705b36f6cdb43a4095f0b8af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been making the following recipe or iterations of it for years. Everyone who has tried it has loved it. It doesn't usually last long either.

Wolverine Lodge Jerky
5 lbs Venison
3/4 cup Soy Sauce
3/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 bottle of Chipotle Tobasco
2 tsp Black Pepper
8 cloves Garlic - Pressed
1/2 tsp Powdered Onion
1 Tbsp Nutmeg
1 Tbsp Ginger
1 - 2 tsp Chipotle Chili Powder
2 Tbs Raw Sugar

I like the meat sliced in 1/4" slices and I let it marinate for no more than 24 hours. If you let if go longer, it will start to Ceviche and that messes up the final texture of the jerky.

As far as storage is concerned, the whole point of drying meat it to cure it, so freezing is unnecessary. Unless you cook your jerky like your steak... medium rare, which I do not. I pinch the thickest part of the piece to see if it's done. If there is any spongy give, then it's not done. You can also cut it in half and if there is any pink or color change across the meat then it's not done.

The best way to store it is in a paper bag in a cool dark place like a pantry. However, I wrap mine in paper towel and put it in a gallon zip lock. I don't know how long it will last like this because it's usually gone within 2 - 3 weeks.

If you intend to keep it for a really long time, then vacuum sealing may be the way to go.

Good luck and let us know if you find any other recipes that turn out good.

Necro post, but this recipe is so good I wanted to thank Hoostma.

Just don't have a bunch of snacks handy when you make it. Easy way to end up ruining your appetite for supper. :)

This is a top sirloin and a top round roast from last year's buck. I pan fried a few of the marinated strips in hot olive oil for lunch. It was outstanding. Tender, juicy, and filled with flavor. So this is really two recipes in one.

20200827_143025.jpg

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
Necro post, but this recipe is so good I wanted to thank Hoostma.

Just don't have a bunch of snacks handy when you make it. Easy way to end up ruining your appetite for supper. :)

This is a top sirloin and a top round roast from last year's buck. I pan fried a few of the marinated strips in hot olive oil for lunch. It was outstanding. Tender, juicy, and filled with flavor. So this is really two recipes in one.

View attachment 210739
Yeah I agree. This recipe is awesome. Made it several times. Best I've ever had. Thanks Hootsma.

I make a lot of jerky every year to use up my deer roasts and loin.

Cut Partially thawed roast or loin into 1/4 thick strip with the grain of the meat.

Marinade 8 pounds of sliced meat in 64 ounces of soy sauce, 5 ounces liquid smoke, 2 pounds of brown sugar for 24 hours in fridge.

Put on nesco dehydrator wet, sprinkle season salt and grill mates Montreal steak spicy seasoning.

Dehydrate at 160 degrees for 4 hours.

I double bag mine in zip lock freezer bags and put in freezer to store.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I finally got on a unique and delicious jerky this past weekend. I spent some time in Korea when I was in the military and I love Korean food. So I had been trying to come up with a Korean inspired jerky. I had been getting it close, but this last week I got the nail on the head. The key was smoking it on the smoker for a couple hours before dehydrating.
I marinated elk overnight in Korean gochujang sauce, soy sauce, a touch of liquid smoke, honey, ginger and smoked paprika. Again, put it in the smoker for a few hours and then to the dehydrator. Absolutely the best jerky I’ve ever done and everyone’s whose tried it has been blown away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshC

FNG
I've been making the following recipe or iterations of it for years. Everyone who has tried it has loved it. It doesn't usually last long either.

Wolverine Lodge Jerky
5 lbs Venison
3/4 cup Soy Sauce
3/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 bottle of Chipotle Tobasco
2 tsp Black Pepper
8 cloves Garlic - Pressed
1/2 tsp Powdered Onion
1 Tbsp Nutmeg
1 Tbsp Ginger
1 - 2 tsp Chipotle Chili Powder
2 Tbs Raw Sugar

I like the meat sliced in 1/4" slices and I let it marinate for no more than 24 hours. If you let if go longer, it will start to Ceviche and that messes up the final texture of the jerky.

As far as storage is concerned, the whole point of drying meat it to cure it, so freezing is unnecessary. Unless you cook your jerky like your steak... medium rare, which I do not. I pinch the thickest part of the piece to see if it's done. If there is any spongy give, then it's not done. You can also cut it in half and if there is any pink or color change across the meat then it's not done.

The best way to store it is in a paper bag in a cool dark place like a pantry. However, I wrap mine in paper towel and put it in a gallon zip lock. I don't know how long it will last like this because it's usually gone within 2 - 3 weeks.

If you intend to keep it for a really long time, then vacuum sealing may be the way to go.

Good luck and let us know if you find any other recipes that turn out good.
Good looking recipe !

Y’all are welcome. Glad you like it. I keep wanting to try some other recipes, but I just can’t because this one is so good.
Bringing this back up. Was going to try making some venison jerky for the first time tomorrow. The wolverine recipe is what I was going to give a try. Question for the group: What’s your cooking/drying process. It seems most recipes don’t use cure. I was planning on using my Weber Smokey mountain if that’s doable.

Bringing this back up. Was going to try making some venison jerky for the first time tomorrow. The wolverine recipe is what I was going to give a try. Question for the group: What’s your cooking/drying process. It seems most recipes don’t use cure. I was planning on using my Weber Smokey mountain if that’s doable.
I dried mine in a countertop oven the first time, dehydrator the second time. Both worked great. No curing salt. Stored in Ziploks in freezer. Didn't last long.

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
I use my dehydrator. Takes roughly 4 to 6 hours depending on thickness. That Wolverine Recipe is excellent.

I also always keep stored in the refrigerator.

NDGuy

WKR
My favorite blends are from PS Seasonings.

Buttery Prime Rib
Hickory
Teriyaki

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425