Utah- what the hell?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got two different emails today.

One is our friend Senator Mike Lee's HOUSE Act- lets states and local govts buy up federal lands to put houses up- low income, condos, whatever...... great idea Mike!

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commentary/2023/12/03/opinion-dont-be-fooled-by-mike/

Then evidently the state of Utah not to be outdone; the state legislature is pushing a suit to control 18.5 million acres of public federal lands.

https://www.boisestatepublicradio.o...control-over-millions-of-acres-of-public-land

Nice work!

Exactly what you would expect from him.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Got two different emails today.

One is our friend Senator Mike Lee's HOUSE Act- lets states and local govts buy up federal lands to put houses up- low income, condos, whatever...... great idea Mike!
I won't speak to this particular bill or Lee's agenda, but allowing federal land to be sold and developed is not a bad idea as long as it is done with careful selection and honest consideration of critical wildlife habitat.

ben h

WKR
I won't speak to this particular bill or Lee's agenda, but allowing federal land to be sold and developed is not a bad idea as long as it is done with careful selection and honest consideration of critical wildlife habitat.
As someone who is from the west who has lived on the east side of the country for the last 3 years, I completely disagree with selling of federal lands (or selling anything that belongs to future generations). There may be cases it could be warranted, but I would not open pandora's box.

As someone who is from the west who has lived on the east side of the country for the last 3 years, I completely disagree with selling of federal lands (or selling anything that belongs to future generations). There may be cases it could be warranted, but I would not open pandora's box.
Not only that the government is worse than a crackhead with a stolen credit card. The money would be wasted before it ever was ever used on the intended purpose. The land in theory will always be there the cash will disappear faster than flash paper.

IdahoBeav

WKR
How do you want to solve the housing crisis? Every government solution is a disaster. Why not let the free market do it? I'm fortunate enough that I can afford to live in a highly desirable location in the Mountain West. It doesn't seem right that a yuppie like me can move into a booming area while working class (and I don't mean burger flippers. I'm talking tradesmen) native Idahoans are priced out and have to move to GA, Upstate NY, SC, etc. where they can afford to live. Meanwhile, the feds have millions of acres of snake & rabbit land locked up, land that could be developed to increase the housing supply, in turn lowering the demand and cost.

How do you want to solve the housing crisis? Every government solution is a disaster. Why not let the free market do it? I'm fortunate enough that I can afford to live in a highly desirable location in the Mountain West. It doesn't seem right that a yuppie like me can move into a booming area while working class (and I don't mean burger flippers. I'm talking tradesmen) native Idahoans are priced out and have to move to GA, Upstate NY, SC, etc. where they can afford to live. Meanwhile, the feds have millions of acres of snake & rabbit land locked up, land that could be developed to increase the housing supply, in turn lowering the demand and cost.
Close the borders, institute a single child policy.
Sterilization for anyone with more then one felony conviction.

CorbLand

WKR
Careful and honest? You going to leave it up to politicians and government agencies to make a consideration that is careful and honest?

cck311

FNG
I saw no less than three "stand for our land" billboards on my drive home today between point of the mountain and Spanish Fork. They are airing "stand for our land" TV commercials as well. On their "stand for our land" website they make out the BLM and the federal government as the bad guys trying to restrict all our recreation and access and try to claim they will be public land friendly in preserving it for us.

CorbLand

WKR
As opposed to the politicians and government agencies in Washington? lmao
You truly think your state government cares about you anymore than the federal does? They all are ******* you sideways every day. The sooner people realize that the better. Doesn’t matter state, federal, local, red, blue, green or yellow. They are all doing it to make themselves and there friends rich.

It’s all a big club and you ain’t in it.

IdahoBeav

WKR
. . . institute a single child policy.
Sterilization for anyone with more then one felony conviction.
That certainly sounds like the Land of the Free.

I notice that everyone complaining about overpopulation is never willing to off themselves. It reminds me of celebrities that fly around the country in private jets and preach about threat of climate change and dire need for strong armed government action.

TaperPin

WKR
I hear talk about BLM land grabs for some new highways in Nevada, but some how the land isn’t just for the road, but also includes commercial and residential development. The developers must be spending millions to smooze politicians in this election year.