UPS Strike

KsRancher

WKR
They can replace a vacancy with whoever they want. I meant specifically in the instance of a strike they can replace all those people with temps or contractors.

In the case of the utility I worked for our local wasn’t strong enough to strike so the guys that left, got fired, retired etc got replaced with (cover your eyes) rat contractors. They thought they had it all figured out until those contractors started having accidents, burning wire down and killing themselves. Then the company raised its wage to attract permanent employees and brought on more union contractors. Which decreased the death and destruction rate.

Off subject. But if any of you non union guys have friends or family interested in becoming a lineman, you should incourage them to do it through the IBEW. They’ll have a much better chance at survival at the very least.
My last post here. Your beating around the bush it seems. I am talking about workers being able to unionize a company in the first place. Before a "strike" ever happens. They are legally able to strong arm a company amd I dont believe that is right. Company should be able to hire/fire whoever they want

How can you get the best candidates for teaching when you don't want to invest more money into the program?

Do you want to be a teacher? Of course not it's a hard thankless job that doesn't pay.

Easy to point the finger of blame while your bitching about having to pay more taxes.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Most of my sons Elementary School teachers make around $80,000 a year and get a week off for Christmas, Spring Break, in addition to June, July, and August . Idk, I think $80K for 9 months of work a year is pretty dang good when compared to the rest of the US population.

The “Teachers are underpaid” thing is largely a myth pushed by Lefty’s and the Teachers Union imo. They’re Govt workers so their salaries are public record. Take the time to look a few you know up i think you’d be surprised at what they really make.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most of my sons Elementary School teachers make around $80,000 a year and get a week off for Christmas, Spring Break, in addition to June, July, and August . Idk, I think $80K for 9 months of work a year is pretty dang good when compared to the rest of the US population.

The “Teachers are underpaid” thing is largely a myth pushed by Lefty’s and the Teachers Union imo. They’re Govt workers so their salaries are public record. Take the time to look a few you know up i think you’d be surprised at what they really make.
Bullshit that the average wage for your states teachers is 80000.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

My last post here. Your beating around the bush it seems. I am talking about workers being able to unionize a company in the first place. Before a "strike" ever happens. They are legally able to strong arm a company amd I dont believe that is right. Company should be able to hire/fire whoever they want
I didn't read everything so bear with me. are some of you under the impression that employees just create a union and companies have no say? cause that's not even close to how it happens. a company has every right to refuse any form of unionization. they can hire/fire whoever so long as it is not a violation of state law. unions are basically just moderators for workers. a contract is drawn up and the company decides if it is reasonable, if its not then negotiations start. if a company refuses to agree with any contract then the workers may choose to either continue working, quit or strike. a company can hold out negotiations for quite some time and force workers to accept what they offer or quit.

2531usmc

WKR
Just as a data point here in Maryland a year of public school (per student) is more expensive than a year of college at the University of Maryland.

one of the local tv channels was doing a series on the Baltimore city schools. 96% of students were not reading or math proficient .

100 years ago America took great pride in having the best public schools in the world. But now, it’s all evolved to grift.

Just as a data point here in Maryland a year of public school (per student) is more expensive than a year of college at the University of Maryland.

one of the local tv channels was doing a series on the Baltimore city schools. 96% of students were not reading or math proficient .

100 years ago America took great pride in having the best public schools in the world. But now, it’s all evolved to grift.
I don't think it's all the school's fault though, our culture simply doesn't give a shit anymore because everything is handed to them.

2531usmc

WKR
Don’t disagree. But if the overall system if failing the children, the logical conclusion is to change the system. In this case, allow parents to take their tax money and put it towards private or catholic schools that have a proven track record of education.

The reason that will never be done is that the teachers Union (and their powerful lobby) will never allow it to happen. Better for their union members to collect their $80,000 salaries in failing schools than allow kids to escape to a better future

Don’t disagree. But if the overall system if failing the children, the logical conclusion is to change the system. In this case, allow parents to take their tax money and put it towards private or catholic schools that have a proven track record of education.

The reason that will never be done is that the teachers Union (and their powerful lobby) will never allow it to happen. Better for their union members to collect their $80,000 salaries in failing schools than allow kids to escape to a better future
Move to AZ.... We have ESA vouchers here that do exactly as say will never happen.

I was always taught if you don't like your job, find another one.
This, and those that think some other profession is overpaid for the job they and it's a cake walk then you can always train up and apply for that Job. I always looked at how the other folks that were going to be my piers or who where in the same job. Thats a picture into how it was going to be for me. You know what they say about the other side of the fence “Grass is always greener , but sometimes the cows is meaner”.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
Built houses from 18-30. I was maxed out on pay which wasn't bad but I was tired of packing lumber and couldn't see myself doing that job at 60 so I went to trade school and have been doing refrigeration ever since. I still lift heavy shit but not like framing. It's a pain changing jobs but worth it if you're not going horizontal. While I was going to school I worked in a shop that was part union and part non-union. I was hired by the company so I stayed non-union. I could sometimes feel the tension between the two. Maybe 6 months after I started the unions contract was up and a deal wasn't re-negotiated and all but 1 walked. I'm not familiar at all with unions but those guys were all offered to stay with the same pay and benefits but they decided to sit on the bench. 🤷‍♂️ I worked for them until I finished school. They treated me good, paid great and had a great benefit package. That was my only experience with a union.

I over reacted sorry @Swamp Donkey.
I just looked it up, was more than I thought but less than 80 grand

Less than 60000 where I live which is closer to the 66 grand a year national average.
$60,000 where you live, $80,000 where I live, and per you as i didnt look it up $66,000 a year for the national average for 9 months of work a year. That $66,000 prorates out to $88,000/year if they worked 12 months a year like the rest of us.

Whats the solid data on the national average overall? Or better yet, the average per state as cost of living in various states vary wildly. Seems hard to pin down solid sources/data but per census.gov the real median household income was $70,784 in 2021. So if teachers on average make $66,000 nationwide as you say to work 9 months/year seems they certainly are not as underpaid as some would want you to think. Me, i think they are paid pretty well and most have pretty nice govt benefits to boot. No, they arent rich but they certainly are not poor either.

So, who are we hearing from that they are underpaid????? Like i said, we are hearing it from the Teachers Union and the politicians pandering for teachers votes.

the biggest problem is the mentality of I want what he has. unions have no real control, but they offer a false sense of power. a union will always fight for higher pay because they want money, but all you have to do to stop any union is say NO. teachers are overpaid given the reality of what they do these days. but no one steps up and says no. personally I would let them strike and not care one bit. I can hire a babysitter for a lot less and they won't care what my kid wears or if he's happy being a boy.
as far as other professions, as a union member (retired) I have had plenty of other trades tell me they should make the same money as me. I always laughed at them, because not one of them could actually handle the job I did. it's the entitled way of thinking and it needs to stop.​

2 things . We have great ups drivers . Feeds my lab treats .2nd- Topic of teachers unions (not teamsters) . Randi Weingarten-BARF