UPS Strike

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
$60,000 where you live, $80,000 where I live, and per you as i didnt look it up $66,000 a year for the national average for 9 months of work a year. That $66,000 prorates out to $88,000/year if they worked 12 months a year like the rest of us.

Whats the solid data on the national average overall? Or better yet, the average per state as cost of living in various states vary wildly. Seems hard to pin down solid sources/data but per census.gov the real median household income was $70,784 in 2021. So if teachers on average make $66,000 nationwide as you say to work 9 months/year seems they certainly are not as underpaid as some would want you to think. Me, i think they are paid pretty well and most have pretty nice govt benefits to boot. No, they arent rich but they certainly are not poor either.

So, who are we hearing from that they are underpaid????? Like i said, we are hearing it from the Teachers Union and the politicians pandering for teachers votes.
This thread has strayed a long way from a ups.

Interesting that you feel you can arbitrarily prorate the salary threshold?

No doubt we are fundamentally different our viewpoints as to what has caused the decline in our education system. Possibly due to our locations and local observations. My counties teacher average salary is 39000 a year. I won't expect to recruit or retain the best educators at that pay scale.

I would assume if Americans would put education as a top requirement and then pay accordingly, it would be a more attractive career to the type of educator you wish your children had.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

$60,000 where you live, $80,000 where I live, and per you as i didnt look it up $66,000 a year for the national average for 9 months of work a year. That $66,000 prorates out to $88,000/year if they worked 12 months a year like the rest of us.

Whats the solid data on the national average overall? Or better yet, the average per state as cost of living in various states vary wildly. Seems hard to pin down solid sources/data but per census.gov the real median household income was $70,784 in 2021. So if teachers on average make $66,000 nationwide as you say to work 9 months/year seems they certainly are not as underpaid as some would want you to think. Me, i think they are paid pretty well and most have pretty nice govt benefits to boot. No, they arent rich but they certainly are not poor either.

So, who are we hearing from that they are underpaid????? Like i said, we are hearing it from the Teachers Union and the politicians pandering for teachers votes.
Median household income is factored with all working people in the household as well, so that actually reinforces your stance even more.

My mother was a teacher, she hated the teacher's union and hated the NEA and feds. She had a lot to say about what's wrong with education but that's for another topic. I don't think I ever heard her complain about the pay.

TJ

WKR
Most of my sons Elementary School teachers make around $80,000 a year and get a week off for Christmas, Spring Break, in addition to June, July, and August . Idk, I think $80K for 9 months of work a year is pretty dang good when compared to the rest of the US population.

The “Teachers are underpaid” thing is largely a myth pushed by Lefty’s and the Teachers Union imo. They’re Govt workers so their salaries are public record. Take the time to look a few you know up i think you’d be surprised at what they really make.

I didn’t and won’t read the whole thread.

Having said that, anyone who thinks a teachers job is 8 hours a day is seriously ill informed. No such thing.
Think a couple hours each night grading, planning etc. Add in likely most of a day on the weekend for more of the same. No such thing as three months off in the summer. How about after school programs, no problem, meet a parent late sure, Susie’s ride didn’t show up, no problem just stay late right!

bpa556

Lil-Rokslider
Oh ok, sorry I thought we already covered that part. No, once your workers organize you don’t get to fire ol Larry Bob because you don’t like his Slayer T-shirt.

This is not true in a right to work state. A non-unionized employee may be fired for any reason. A unionized employee may be fired for any reason not explicitly defined in the contract.

A unionized workforce on strike for working conditions may be replaced, but not terminated. They must be hired back when they stop malingering and ASK for their jobs back.

A unionized workforce striking for pay can be terminated en mass and permanently replaced with non-unionized workers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not true in a right to work state. A non-unionized employee may be fired for any reason. A unionized employee may be fired for any reason not explicitly defined in the contract.
this comes down to state laws and ethics. union or not an employee cannot be terminated for any reason in many states. I would think that's true everywhere but I don't know. this is how you get wrongful termination lawsuits.
I once had a company try to fire me for shooting a deer on my lunch break. (7 pointer) I can assure you deer hunting was not in our contract lol. I remained "fired" for 2 months, the union forced the company to pay my 2 months salary and I went back to work. had I not been allowed to work a lawsuit would have been filed.​
this was old laws, today all you have to do is cry and you cannot be fired. workers have feeling too ya know lol.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I was just reading Yellow freight has closed the doors and 30,000 people are out of work. The union had made big concession, but it was not enough to overcome poor operating practices. As always is the case, there is always plenty of blame to go around. 30,000 common folks out of work.

I do a lot of ebay selling and only use USPS. I know we give the government run post office a lot of crap, but they have really stepped up their game in my opinion. Prices are by far the cheapest...by far...but that's because they don't have to turn a profit...lol like any government business. I have easily sent 500+ packages in the last couple of years with no damaged or lost items.

UPS left a bad taste in my mouth when they wouldn't ship a bipod for me because I accidently said it was for a hunting rifle. If you disclose anything even remotely close to the word firearm or anything to do with a firearm, they won't ship it. I get packages all the time from firearm related companies so I don't know how they get a way with it, though.

If you now have to ship USPS, don't worry, they do a good job. Just sold and shipped a MagnetoSpeed Chronograph accross the US for $21 and it got there in 3 days.

I was just reading Yellow freight has closed the doors and 30,000 people are out of work. The union had made big concession, but it was not enough to overcome poor operating practices. As always is the case, there is always plenty of blame to go around. 30,000 common folks out of work.
there's a YRC by me, they have been hiring for the past few months. feel bad for the guys who just got hired. tells you a lot about a company when they are hiring right before going out of business.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
there's a YRC by me, they have been hiring for the past few months. feel bad for the guys who just got hired. tells you a lot about a company when they are hiring right before going out of business.
If I understand it correctly, business was starting to really pick, so they hired more drivers, but they did not factor in bad buisness decisions taking them further in the red.

Billinsd

WKR
No doubt we are fundamentally different our viewpoints as to what has caused the decline in our education system. Possibly due to our locations and local observations. My counties teacher average salary is 39000 a year. I won't expect to recruit or retain the best educators at that pay scale.

I would assume if Americans would put education as a top requirement and then pay accordingly, it would be a more attractive career to the type of educator you wish your children had.
Looks like extremes in regions, demographics, politics, and tax bases. San Diego Unified School District pays teachers a lot, with lots of benefits. The problem is the Teachers Union. Teachers are not encouraged to be good teachers, the system is against educating kids. The poorest areas are the worst. They have brand new buildings, free breakfast and lunch for the poor the entire year. Parents don't care, teachers don't care, administrators CERTAINLY DON'T CARE ABOUT KIDS. Lack of money is NOT the problem. Red states and cities governments tend to be strict, and thrifty with spending for teachers and schools. They budget what they can afford, based on the low tax base. Teachers don't get adequate pay and kids don't get adequate education mostly because of lack of funds and for totally different reasons than some super wealthy red/purple cities like San Diego.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like extremes in regions, demographics, politics, and tax bases. San Diego Unified School District pays teachers a lot, with lots of benefits. The problem is the Teachers Union. Teachers are not encouraged to be good teachers, the system is against educating kids. The poorest areas are the worst. They have brand new buildings, free breakfast and lunch for the poor the entire year. Parents don't care, teachers don't care, administrators CERTAINLY DON'T CARE ABOUT KIDS. Lack of money is NOT the problem. In Red states and cities governments are strict with spending for teachers and schools. They pay what they can afford based on the low tax base. Kids don't get adequate pay and kids don't get adequate education either for totally different reasons than wealthy red/purple cities like San Diego.
Let me get this straight- in your opinion the biggest fail isn't the teacher's themselves but the pesky teacher's union who is made up of those very teacher's? Union officials are elected by majority to represent thier teacher's interests.

If the pay and benefits are so amazing, why can't you recruit the type of teacher's that share your vision of how education should be?
Why aren't they coming in droves to apply for a position in San Diego?

Billinsd

WKR
Let me get this straight- in your opinion the biggest fail isn't the teacher's themselves but the pesky teacher's union who is made up of those very teacher's? Union officials are elected by majority to represent thier teacher's interests.

If the pay and benefits are so amazing, why can't you recruit the type of teacher's that share your vision of how education should be?

In California, in San Diego yes the Teachers Unions are largely to blame. And you said it yourself,
Union officials are elected by majority to represent thier teacher's interests.

Billinsd

WKR

The education fail in San Diego and similar cities in California is the Marxist American Hating Teachers Unions and school boards. Both are elected by the same folks who have ruined California. Stupid is as stupid does. Young, hard working, passionate teacher's are harassed and harried by the system created by Unions and School Boards. The pay and benefits are OUTSTANDING!! and outstanding teacher's are racially profile and whites are severely discriminated against while other races and genders are untouchable. Teacher's are not coming in droves to San Diego, because it's become a hellhole for good teachers and the working conditions are awful. Delinquent, and unruly kids and parents that nothing can be done against. The system encourages corruption, racial prejudice, laziness, and incompetence. But the pay and benefits are high.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
In California, in San Diego yes the Teachers Unions are largely to blame. And you said it yourself,
I'll counter that you can't attract the type of person you wish was teacher in San Diego. Why?
When you get those people interested in being a teacher, that's when the dynamics change.

Billinsd

WKR
I'll counter that you can't attract the type of person you wish was teacher in San Diego. Why?
When you get those people interested in being a teacher, that's when the dynamics change.

See my above reply, post 354. A minority of teacher's are good or great! The majority are not. It varies to a degree. I found good charter, non union schools in San Diego that were mostly good to outstanding. The better teachers and principals are private or public charter.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
See my above reply, post 354. A minority of teacher's are good or great! The majority are not. It varies to a degree. I found good charter, non union schools in San Diego that were mostly good to outstanding. The better teachers and principals are private or public charter.
Alot of post 354 problem come from government directives which is an entire conversion in of itself. Those problems are solved by voting for candidates with opposing viewpoints.