Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Y'all better get busy with those UL-ULs! Time to see your action shots!

This was another black bear from yesterday evening with the Little Big Gun. Not my best shooting, but still got it done pretty well.

Had to gut him and go back up the mountain today...glad I wasn't dragging an 8lb rifle to boot.

This is after half-freezing on the mountain overnight while propped up on some bushes.
20241001_115738.jpg

The Guide

WKR
Y'all better get busy with those UL-ULs! Time to see your action shots!

This was another black bear from yesterday evening with the Little Big Gun. Not my best shooting, but still got it done pretty well.

Had to gut him and go back up the mountain today...glad I wasn't dragging an 8lb rifle to boot.

This is after half-freezing on the mountain overnight while propped up on some bushes.
View attachment 771847
You get a bunch of chances on bears. Your family must enjoy bear meat! Do you eat the grizzly too? Just curious.

Jay

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
You get a bunch of chances on bears. Your family must enjoy bear meat! Do you eat the grizzly too? Just curious.

Jay
I have eaten grizzly, but not too often. It's okay here (no fish) but not as good as black bear. I eat black bear sausage 5 days a week.

I gave my grizzly last year to neighbors and they made it into sausage. It was okay, but even ground, the meat seemed stringy and "tendony".

We mostly hunt grizzlies to help keep the population down a little bit. This place is crawling with grizzlies...but I’d definitely rather have bears around than not. I don't really even like to shoot black bears in the spring anymore. The meat is fine, but not much fat. I'd rather leave them be until fall. Spot and stalk fall black bear is easily my favorite hunting.

The Guide

WKR
I have eaten grizzly, but not too often. It's okay here (no fish) but not as good as black bear. I eat black bear sausage 5 days a week.

I gave my grizzly last year to neighbors and they made it into sausage. It was okay, but even ground, the meat seemed stringy and "tendony".

We mostly hunt grizzlies to help keep the population down a little bit. This place is crawling with grizzlies...but I’d definitely rather have bears around than not. I don't really even like to shoot black bears in the spring anymore. The meat is fine, but not much fat. I'd rather leave them be until fall. Spot and stalk fall black bear is easily my favorite hunting.
We are only allowed spot and stalk in Montana, no baiting bears. There is some hound hunting allowed in the spring now but that is an entire lifestyle. We can use mouth calls but no electronic calls. Wish we could use e-calls. Haven't done much bear hunting since I moved to the flat part of the state. Still haven't taken a fall bear either. Going to try and get out before general season and look around for some before it gets cold and they go to bed. What is your favorite black bear sausage?

Jay

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I don't have any recipe per se. I just use salt, sugar, sage, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and maybe rosemary and/or anise seed as well. Kind of just eyeball it. Fry some up to see if it needs any more of anything, which it usually doesn't. Not an exact science to be sure!.🤣

The Guide

WKR
I don't have any recipe per se. I just use salt, sugar, sage, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and maybe rosemary and/or anise seed as well. Kind of just eyeball it. Fry some up to see if it needs any more of anything, which it usually doesn't. Not an exact science to be sure!.🤣
More of a breakfast style sausage that would still make a great spaghetti or lasagna meat?

Jay

_S_R_

FNG
Unfortunately Solo raised prices to the point it’s almost not worthy.
Barrels 24 cal or bigger hard to find
Lightweight budget friendly brace doesn’t exist.

Taudisio

WKR
Unfortunately Solo raised prices to the point it’s almost not worthy.
Barrels 24 cal or bigger hard to find
Lightweight budget friendly brace doesn’t exist.
If I am remembering correctly, I think it went up $19 from when I got mine. You can fabricate your own slick side upper fairly easily. Or get a bear creek arsenal upper for a lot less, but more weight. I think the “kali-key” is another route you could go. I could assemble a kali key upper receiver/bcg for under $250, but I have no experience with how well they work.

ebrownw2

FNG
I finally made time to circle back to this project. I won’t say I’m happy with it until I shoot it (will report back how that goes) but it came together just under my target of being under 4lbs with a scope.

TN Arms polymer receiver
NFA polymer lower parts kit
Solo 300 upper
Custom barrel made from a Green Mountain
223 Wylde 1:7 blank
Jag 7.5” ultralight handguard
Hogue grip
Trigger tech black diamond 2.5lb
Used a set screw for the rear takedown pin spring
I think I got the skeletonized buffer tube from Palmetto.
Don’t recall where that little buttstock came from but this thread led me to it.
Aluminum 10rd mag

Sighting device options:
SWFA 2.5-10x32 in an Aeromount
Aimpoint micro H2 2moa ina Larue QD

Unloaded weights:
rifle alone 3lb 2.6oz
W/aimpoint 3lb 9oz
w/swiffer 3lb 15oz

I have the parts here to go a tad lighter but they required compromises I wasn’t willing to make. It will be an evolving project and I now have a couple boxes full of parts for future tweaking.

IMG_4126.jpegIMG_4125.jpegIMG_4124.jpeg

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I finally made time to circle back to this project. I won’t say I’m happy with it until I shoot it (will report back how that goes) but it came together just under my target of being under 4lbs with a scope.

TN Arms polymer receiver
Solo 300 upper
Hogue grip
Don’t recall where that little buttstock came from but this thread led me to it.
Aluminum 10rd mag

Sighting device options:

Unloaded weights:
rifle alone 3lb 2.6oz
W/aimpoint 3lb 9oz
w/swiffer 3lb 15oz

I have the parts here to go a tad lighter but they required compromises I wasn’t willing to make. It will be an evolving project and I now have a couple boxes full of parts for future tweaking.

View attachment 773217View attachment 773218View attachment 773219
That thing is sweet! Great job. What does the barrel weigh? Do you have any pics of the barrel and contour details? What was the cost of the barrel after finishing it?

180ls1

WKR

TN Arms polymer receiver
Solo 300 upper
Hogue grip
Aluminum 10rd mag

Sighting device options:

Unloaded weights:
rifle alone 3lb 2.6oz
W/aimpoint 3lb 9oz
w/swiffer 3lb 15oz

View attachment 773217View attachment 773218View attachment 773219

Would you shoot some real world groups at various ranges to see how the two optics compare? I would be very curious how that plays out.