Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Y'all better get busy with those UL-ULs! Time to see your action shots!

This was another black bear from yesterday evening with the Little Big Gun. Not my best shooting, but still got it done pretty well.

Had to gut him and go back up the mountain today...glad I wasn't dragging an 8lb rifle to boot.

This is after half-freezing on the mountain overnight while propped up on some bushes.
20241001_115738.jpg

The Guide

WKR
Y'all better get busy with those UL-ULs! Time to see your action shots!

This was another black bear from yesterday evening with the Little Big Gun. Not my best shooting, but still got it done pretty well.

Had to gut him and go back up the mountain today...glad I wasn't dragging an 8lb rifle to boot.

This is after half-freezing on the mountain overnight while propped up on some bushes.
View attachment 771847
You get a bunch of chances on bears. Your family must enjoy bear meat! Do you eat the grizzly too? Just curious.

Jay

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
You get a bunch of chances on bears. Your family must enjoy bear meat! Do you eat the grizzly too? Just curious.

Jay
I have eaten grizzly, but not too often. It's okay here (no fish) but not as good as black bear. I eat black bear sausage 5 days a week.

I gave my grizzly last year to neighbors and they made it into sausage. It was okay, but even ground, the meat seemed stringy and "tendony".

We mostly hunt grizzlies to help keep the population down a little bit. This place is crawling with grizzlies...but I’d definitely rather have bears around than not. I don't really even like to shoot black bears in the spring anymore. The meat is fine, but not much fat. I'd rather leave them be until fall. Spot and stalk fall black bear is easily my favorite hunting.

The Guide

WKR
I have eaten grizzly, but not too often. It's okay here (no fish) but not as good as black bear. I eat black bear sausage 5 days a week.

I gave my grizzly last year to neighbors and they made it into sausage. It was okay, but even ground, the meat seemed stringy and "tendony".

We mostly hunt grizzlies to help keep the population down a little bit. This place is crawling with grizzlies...but I’d definitely rather have bears around than not. I don't really even like to shoot black bears in the spring anymore. The meat is fine, but not much fat. I'd rather leave them be until fall. Spot and stalk fall black bear is easily my favorite hunting.
We are only allowed spot and stalk in Montana, no baiting bears. There is some hound hunting allowed in the spring now but that is an entire lifestyle. We can use mouth calls but no electronic calls. Wish we could use e-calls. Haven't done much bear hunting since I moved to the flat part of the state. Still haven't taken a fall bear either. Going to try and get out before general season and look around for some before it gets cold and they go to bed. What is your favorite black bear sausage?

Jay

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I don't have any recipe per se. I just use salt, sugar, sage, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and maybe rosemary and/or anise seed as well. Kind of just eyeball it. Fry some up to see if it needs any more of anything, which it usually doesn't. Not an exact science to be sure!.🤣

The Guide

WKR
I don't have any recipe per se. I just use salt, sugar, sage, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and maybe rosemary and/or anise seed as well. Kind of just eyeball it. Fry some up to see if it needs any more of anything, which it usually doesn't. Not an exact science to be sure!.🤣
More of a breakfast style sausage that would still make a great spaghetti or lasagna meat?

Jay

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
More of a breakfast style sausage that would still make a great spaghetti or lasagna meat?

Jay
That's exactly how I was thinking of it the other day making it. Sort of a good-for-everything spicy Italian-Breakfast sausage hybrid.