Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

Great list. A couple of small points:

If you're using a Jag handguard, you won't need the Solo barrel nut unless you're planning on also running it without a handguard at times (?).

I think the Faxon pencil barrel is about 19.5 oz, off the top of my head.

Look forward to seeing the build!
Yeah I wasn't sure and went ahead and placed that order to start checking things off the list. Got to choosing a handguard and realized I didn't need it.

Max range?
Eh, 300ish. Being a predator focused build it'll more likely be used closer range but I'll push the limits for fun at the range.

Initial thoughts would be

SWFA 2.5-10x32 at 9.5oz
Leupold 4x28 at 7.5oz

Spent a chunk of change on two RS1.2's this year and now this build so I'm looking for a budget friendly option for sure.

Last edited:
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Yeah I wasn't sure and went ahead and placed that order to start checking things off the list. Got to choosing a handguard and realized I didn't need it.

Eh, 300ish. Being a predator focused build it'll more likely be used closer range but I'll push the limits for fun at the range.

SWFA 2.5-10x32 at 9.5oz
Leupold 4x28 at 7.5oz

Spent a chunk of change on two RS1.2's this year and now this build so I'm looking for a budget friendly option for sure.
If you don't think you'll need the ranging reticle, I'd lean towards the 4x for simplicity (and maybe reliability) at under 300 yards.

Taudisio

WKR

SWFA 2.5-10x32 at 9.5oz
Leupold 4x28 at 7.5oz

For me with a similar build, I'm thinking I'd like to be effective at 400yds. It is terminal out to almost 500, so that gives me some wiggle room.
Yea, for both of you, a fixed 3x-5x. The leupold is a great choice, I have been having a blast with the primary arms micro prism 5x. I would think the 3x would be great for the same roll you guys are looking at.
Everyone that has shot my rifle has made (nearly) every hit out to 400 yards. The 500+ line gets really iffy depending on the shooter. I use the reticle spacing provided, when sighted in 1.5” high at 100, it’s been pretty spot on out to a little over 600 yards, but your load/bullet/velocity would vary on that.

IMG_4044.jpeg
This is my 1 spotter and 3 shot group at 300 from the videos posted earlier. All 4 under 2.25” with the 5x.

gtriple

WKR
Yea, for both of you, a fixed 3x-5x. The leupold is a great choice, I have been having a blast with the primary arms micro prism 5x. I would think the 3x would be great for the same roll you guys are looking at.
Everyone that has shot my rifle has made (nearly) every hit out to 400 yards. The 500+ line gets really iffy depending on the shooter. I use the reticle spacing provided, when sighted in 1.5” high at 100, it’s been pretty spot on out to a little over 600 yards, but your load/bullet/velocity would vary on that.

View attachment 769279
This is my 1 spotter and 3 shot group at 300 from the videos posted earlier. All 4 under 2.25” with the 5x.
How well have you been able to interpolate between hashes at intermediate ranges?

A fixed 6 in single digit ounces would be awesome. That's where my Mavens sit pretty much full time.

Primary Arms has one at 11.7 oz. But at that weight class might as well go Leupold 2-7x33 at 11.1 oz.

Seems like the Aero cantilevered mount is still the only lightweight, cantilevered option out there. Just really hate the way the rings clamp.

Taudisio

WKR
How well have you been able to interpolate between hashes at intermediate ranges?
The hardest POA is the 200 yard line for me. Aiming with the bottom of the chevron is not my favorite. Luckily I’m not trying to shoot anything so small that there isn’t some wiggle room. There are “50 yard hash marks” for the in between ranges. I just think of “gapping” the same as it is with my pins on my bow. It hasn’t been an issue at ranges I would use the gun for hunting. If the opportunity arises next weekend, I’ll let you know how it does on deer sized targets. I haven’t had many issues hitting ground squirrels at/under 100 yards. I just finished reloading 40 rounds for it. Maybe I’ll put the plate at 230-270/330-370/430-470 to play with and verify she is ready for deer.

Taudisio

WKR
A fixed 6 in single digit ounces would be awesome. That's where my Mavens sit pretty much full time.

Primary Arms has one at 11.7 oz. But at that weight class might as well go Leupold 2-7x33 at 11.1 oz.

Seems like the Aero cantilevered mount is still the only lightweight, cantilevered option out there. Just really hate the way the rings clamp.
This is from the specs on the 5x. All the various scope height mounts included that you could ask for, that are included in the price (probably not the weight provided though). The 5x has a tight eye box, in the reviews I watched, the 3x has a much larger eye box.
IMG_4056.jpeg