Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Thank you for trying it out! I’m going to slowly start acquiring parts!
You're welcome, and I see today solo is offering 350 Lengend pistol uppers now, so it obviously worked for him as well. Might be the best 150 yard thumper option. When I was running mine I used it on a 6'+ boar black bear and it worked very well.

The Guide

WKR
Got my shipping notice for my Solo upper. Looking forward to building a new rifle. 223 Wylde, 6 mm MAX, and 300 Ham'R barrels are all being considered.

Jay

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Got my shipping notice for my Solo upper. Looking forward to building a new rifle. 223 Wylde, 6 mm MAX, and 300 Ham'R barrels are all being considered.

Jay
Look for forward to seeing what you come up with.

I have zero experience with it, and don't know of anyone that does, but if (and that's a big if) the 6mm MAX could push a 95TMK about as fast as a 223/5.56 can push a 77 TMK, it might be about the best all around option for just about everything from one of these rifles (minus the brass availability of the 5.56).

Do you know anyone that makes a lightweight 16" barrel for the 6 max? I don't think I've seen any barrels at all, but haven't looked much for them specifically.

The Guide

WKR

I have zero experience with it, and don't know of anyone that does, but if (and that's a big if) the 6mm MAX could push a 95TMK about as fast as a 223/5.56 can push a 77 TMK, it might be about the best all around option for just about everything from one of these rifles (minus the brass availability of the 5.56).

Do you know anyone that makes a lightweight 16" barrel for the 6 max? I don't think I've seen any barrels at all, but haven't looked much for them specifically.
Still researching. Haven't had time to fully obsess over it... yet.

Jay

From the little I’ve seen, I think they are still testing the cartridge. I wouldn’t expect any barrels outside of the partners they already plan to launch with.

The only one I know of is SOLGW, but I don’t know if they make their own barrels or get them OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarification on the scope and the thread.. Curious to see how your 2.5-8 does now that I've checked out that thread.

40tude, I'm looking forward to hearing about your solo build and how it works out.
I hadn't been paying attention until tonight when I realized the eval was already up--maybe you already saw it.

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
With factory Hornady 6mm ARC rounds, chambering is a moderate palm slap. Extraction of live rounds is easy. With fired cases, extraction gets harder. Again, a palm slap or strong jerk.

According to Shaw, they were going to build more than one straight-pull barrel and list them on their website. I don't know the production numbers or weight though.
Any update on the Shaw barrels?

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I hadn't been paying attention until tonight when I realized the eval was already up--maybe you already saw it.

👍 No, I didn't see it, I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

OneSkinnyHunter,

I emailed Shaw about the same on Monday, but haven't heard back. I figured if they heard from others it might help move things forward. Probably not a bad idea to let them know you're interested(?).

I specifically mentioned I was looking for 16" barrels in the ~19oz range, as that's what the lightest currently on the market weigh. Their current offerings are all a little porky, comparatively. I'd potentially be interested in other lengths as well, but the 16"@19oz gives them an idea on a target weight, for me anyway. (If they copied Wilson's 5.56 ultralight contour and dropped the gas journal they'd probably hit 18 oz)

I ordered a Solo 300 last week and just got a shipping update this evening, so they are cranking them out.

I have had No luck with TN Arms Company. I tried to buy online but sight wouldn’t let me. I tried calling multiple times and no one or machine picks up. I sent a few emails too, and no response. Maybe they are on vacation or hunting but zero response in 10 days.

Ended up ordering a NFA LW-4 complete lower from Joe Bobs Outfitter for $129.99 with free shipping to local FFL.

I also emailed Shaw tonight requesting build for a 16“ OAL 18-19 ounce AR barrel with no gas block / journal in .223 Wylde, 1:8 or 1:7 twist and threaded 1/2“x 28.

Last edited:
I ordered a Solo 300 last week and just got a shipping update this evening, so they are cranking them out.

I have had No luck with TN Arms Company. I tried to buy online but sight wouldn’t let me. I tried calling multiple times and no one or machine picks up. I sent a few emails too, and no response. Maybe they are on vacation or hunting but zero response in 10 days.

Ended up ordering a NFA LW-4 complete lower from Joe Bobs Outfitter for $129.99 with free shipping to local FFL.

I also emailed Shaw tonight requesting build for a 16“ OAL 18-19 ounce AR barrel with no gas block / journal in .223 Wylde, 1:8 or 1:7 twist and threaded 1/2“x 28.
This is exciting. Hopefully Shaw churns out what we're looking for, but I'm not holding my breath. Convincing a company to produce an ultralight barrel is surprisingly difficult. Besides Wilson Combat and Faxon, few have done it.

The best method is to buy a barrel without a gas port. For a bit more money, it's just a better solution. However, another way to block the gas is to thread the port and install a setscrew.

Wilfred

FNG
The best method is to buy a barrel without a gas port. For a bit more money, it's just a better solution. However, another way to block the gas is to thread the port and install a setscrew.
Are you aware of manufacturers that currently offer barrels without a gas port? I sent a query to Faxon, and they do not.

My two barrels thus far have come from Wilson Combat and BSF Barrels, but they weren't standard offerings. My next one is coming from Shaw barrels, and they said they'll produce a batch of maybe 50 to sell. Another option is X-Caliber.

The best bet is to call a company and ask. Worst they can say is, "No." Realistically, it's less work to produce a barrel with no gas block, so the custom or semi custom makers shouldn't have any issues.

Good luck!

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
My two barrels thus far have come from Wilson Combat and BSF Barrels, but they weren't standard offerings. My next one is coming from Shaw barrels, and they said they'll produce a batch of maybe 50 to sell. Another option is X-Caliber.

The best bet is to call a company and ask. Worst they can say is, "No." Realistically, it's less work to produce a barrel with no gas block, so the custom or semi custom makers shouldn't have any issues.

Good luck!
Did Wilson make that barrel no problem or was that a special one-off? They already make contours ideal for this, if they'd make me a 5.56 and 300 Ham'r without the gas journal I'd be all in.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Has anyone used alternative methods to block the gas port other than reversing a gas block?
I haven't done this, but have thought about threading an appropriate sized bushing to block the gas. Not sure how it would work, but it could be cleaner than a reversed gas block, if it does work.

Initially I wanted to stick with standard, readily available parts. If the idea didn't work out I could use the barrels elsewhere or sell them pretty easily. At this point I'd be willing to spend a little more for a couple dedicated barrels without a gas port/journal, as long as I can get a contour roughly approximating what I'm using now.