Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Would you mind to share spec list please?
Pretty much like the build #2 I posted in this thread, except with an Aero Precision slick side (correction: not slick side. No froward assist - has shell deflector and dust cover) upper, DSA aluminum bolt carrier, buffer with no weights, Faxon 5.56 pencil barrel, Jag Composites ultralight hand guard and a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block (will probably change that out to an Aero Precision adjustable). Nothing fancy or expensive really other than the handguard.

A friend used it on a couple of deer on Kodiak last year. I think all I've shot with it is a coyote, a raccoon and a cottonmouth. Works very well, I just don't find myself using it much. Maybe I will more in the future.

Last edited:
Fellow lightweight rifle nuts,

I finally broke the 3-pound barrier by repurposing a bolt-action .300 BLK pistol I built a few years ago. Total weight with red dot and sling but no magazine is 2 pounds, 10.5 ounces, according to our scale, which may or may not be entirely accurate. I gave my local gunsmith instructions to turn down the Shaw barrel, "to the point you're afraid to fire it." Mission accomplished. I'm scared to fire it.

The quick build list is as follows:
  1. NFA polymer lower and lower parts kit
  2. Blackthorne polymer upper that I whittled on for side charge
  3. Shaw barrel turned into spaghetti strand (16.3 oz.)
  4. DSA aluminum carrier with Nottingham Tactical Ti charging knob
  5. DIY carbon fiber and aluminum handguard
  6. A1 buffer tube Swiss-cheesed and capped with polymer sling loop
  7. Hogue 15-degree polymer grip with V7 titanium grip screw
  8. Crimson Trace CT-1400 optic
  9. Paracord sling wrap
I don't expect to use it much in this configuration, but it's fun to push the limits.

Attachments

• SUL-1.jpeg
    SUL-1.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 106
  • SUL-2.jpeg
    SUL-2.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 106
  • SUL-3.jpeg
    SUL-3.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I gave my local gunsmith instructions to turn down the Shaw barrel, "to the point you're afraid to fire it." Mission accomplished. I'm scared to fire it.
😂

Actually, that barrel looks great. That looks like a really useful carry everywhere rifle, and still kill stuff, I like it.

Can you measure the barrel's diameter when you get a chance and tell us how it shoots?

😂

Actually, that barrel looks great. That looks like a really useful carry everywhere rifle, and still kill stuff, I like it.

Can you measure the barrel's diameter when you get a chance and tell us how it shoots?
Will do, sir. Gotta find my calipers first. They're still packed from my last move.

As for shaving more weight, I agree with Hackleback on the barrel collar. More steel could come out. I could also chop the carrier, ventilate the handguard, and remove the 50-feet of paracord for the sling, but the reality is this weight is already too light for my tastes.

To prove that, I moved the barrel to my side-folder AR build that wears the BSF 6 ARC barrel. To me, this is a far more useful configuration, and extraction should be a lot easier than with the ARC case. Total weight as shown below with scope, mag, and suppressor is 5 pounds, 4 ounces. Add ammo, and she's ready to hunt...assuming, of course, the barrel doesn't rupture during testing.

Ah, the risks we take for mountain rifle perfection.

Attachments

• Side1.jpeg
    Side1.jpeg
    622.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Side2.jpeg
    Side2.jpeg
    583.7 KB · Views: 63
On another note, waiting on Wiland to ship a second order of hand guards- they are a vendor that isnt speedy on shipping- order placed on the 12th, looks like it shipped today (18th). TN Arms is another vendor that I experienced slow shipping. Just letting people know so expectations can be appropriately set. Maybe we are now living in a world where we are used to AMAZON type shipping where most things are a day or two out- maybe not realistic for mom & pop small businesses.

Are there any "ultralight" AR mags you guys are using for these builds? Sorry if this has been answered before.

Great question on mags. I've only considered their capacity and not weight. I like to use the 2.71-ounce 10-rd. MagPul PMAGs for 5.56-based rounds, though lighter options likely exist.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Yes, good question. I've never weighed mags either. In my case, I generally use C-Products stainless Duramags as they allow me to load as long as 2.325", so they're worth the extra weight over aluminum or plastic. I do use PMags for my small game loads which are short anyway. I'm guessing a 10 round aluminum might be the lightest...??? IDK though. Since I'd be using the same mags in any AR based platform, I've never considered its weight as something to check.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Fellow lightweight rifle nuts,

I finally broke the 3-pound barrier by repurposing a bolt-action .300 BLK pistol I built a few years ago. Total weight with red dot and sling but no magazine is 2 pounds, 10.5 ounces, according to our scale, which may or may not be entirely accurate. I gave my local gunsmith instructions to turn down the Shaw barrel, "to the point you're afraid to fire it." Mission accomplished. I'm scared to fire it.

The quick build list is as follows:
  1. NFA polymer lower and lower parts kit
  2. Blackthorne polymer upper that I whittled on for side charge
  3. Crimson Trace
  4. Shaw barrel turned into spaghetti strand (16.3 oz.)
  5. DSA aluminum carrier with Nottingham Tactical Ti charging knob
  6. DIY carbon fiber and aluminum handguard
  7. A1 buffer tube Swiss-cheesed and capped with polymer sling loop
  8. Hogue 15-degree polymer grip with V7 titanium grip screw
  9. Crimson Trace CT-1400 optic
  10. Paracord sling wrap
I don't expect to use it much in this configuration, but it's fun to push the limits.
Since it's ask StupidLightweight hour, what's the story on the DIY handguard on this rifle? I've been thinking about building a couple of my own, but haven't done it yet.

The folder stock is from AGP Arms, and it's not feathery. At 11.5 ounces, it only makes sense if you want a folder, which I do. Keep in mind you can't use a full length bolt carrier. That's gotta be chopped.

On the DIY carbon handguard, that was something I did in my free time before wife and kids. It's nothing special, consisting of a cheap aluminum barrel nut and a scrap tube from eBay held on by epoxy. It must have cost $25 total. However, the Wiland USA PCC tube (among others) is vastly better for a minimal weight/cost penalty.

For my next "handguard," I plan on using a cheap aluminum barrel nut and adding a 4-inch section of ARCA rail. No tube at all. I'm not the best rifle shot, and that's magnified with ultralight rifles, so I use a lightweight tripod for stabilization.

Thegman, have you considered skeletonizing a metal magazine? That should drop a lot of weight without any negatives.

The barrel nut for the Wiland carbon handguard is fairly large, though made of aluminum. One could mill some weight off of it fairly easily. How much weight one would save, I don't know, prob not much more than an oz (being optimistic beyond that).

For a rifle, going sub-4 lbs is fairly straight forward (like the red Ryder on the first page), beyond that it appears your in the diminishing return realm ($$$).

I'm still having fun working on mine as I continue to find different light weight parts. Like mentioned earlier, I'm starting to get a mini warehouse full of misc small parts as I place orders.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I've never thought about doing that with a magazine, other than windowing one for even longer loads. I should probably weigh a mag body and see what that might do. Most of the mag is covered by the mag well, so it wouldn't let junk get in the mag so shouldn't create any issues.

Hackleback, that's a good point with the barrel nut. One of the reasons the Jag Composites is so light, is his barrel nut, which is skeletonized and only weighs an ounce. The handguard itself isn't that much lighter than others on the market, but the unit as a whole ends up being lighter than pretty much everything else due to his barrel nut design.

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
The folder stock is from AGP Arms, and it's not feathery. At 11.5 ounces, it only makes sense if you want a folder, which I do. Keep in mind you can't use a full length bolt carrier. That's gotta be chopped.

On the DIY carbon handguard, that was something I did in my free time before wife and kids. It's nothing special, consisting of a cheap aluminum barrel nut and a scrap tube from eBay held on by epoxy. It must have cost $25 total. However, the Wiland USA PCC tube (among others) is vastly better for a minimal weight/cost penalty.

For my next "handguard," I plan on using a cheap aluminum barrel nut and adding a 4-inch section of ARCA rail. No tube at all. I'm not the best rifle shot, and that's magnified with ultralight rifles, so I use a lightweight tripod for stabilization.

Thegman, have you considered skeletonizing a metal magazine? That should drop a lot of weight without any negatives.
So I purchased the AGP stock and the solo upper but I’m not sure why you say the bolt carrier needs to be chopped? It seems like everything fits together fine. Could you explain this a bit more?

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
So I purchased the AGP stock and the solo upper but I’m not sure why you say the bolt carrier needs to be chopped? It seems like everything fits together fine. Could you explain this a bit more?
the Solo carrier is already "chopped". He's referring to using a standard bolt carrier.