Two puffys, or one?

TheViking

WKR
I have two different down puffys - both from Kuiu.

One is lightweight, one is heavyweight. The lightweight one is pretty delicate, would like it to be more durable. The heavy one is nice, but it is pretty heavy, nothing crazy.

After having these for two years, having a hard time justifying owning two separate ones. I think a good 'do-all' puffy would be best.

What do you guys recommend? Normally a Kuiu fan boy, but have been trying out different pieces from other brands lately. So brand doesn't matter.

I was looking at the FirstLite Brooks Down Sweater, thoughts?

svivian

WKR
I like a light weight but very warm puffy. If I'm worried about it getting snagged, I layer a Jetstream(or similar jacket) over the top.

OP
TheViking

TheViking

WKR
My puffy is a heavier western mountaineering puffy with hood.
I ALWAYS have it with me and also view it as a "survival" item. I feel it's better to have something that is warmer and you can always regulate your heat instead of something lighter weight and trying to get warm.

Randy

I like this perspective, and I agree.

Was definitely leaning towards just keeping the heavier one.

I run both.
Usually merino wool base with a lightweight puffy (FL Cirrus).
If cold, I add a heavier SITKA puffy (can't remember name). The LW or LW + HW is the ticket 90% of the time.
If it's windy or still cold I'll add SITKA Jetstream

mlgc20

WKR
I have the Ultra and the Pro. I like them both. But, I get far more use out of the Pro. I mostly use the Ultra during the early season if I’m out later than expected and the temp drops. My Pro gets plenty of use. The FL Brooks is not an upgrade IMO.

I have a layering system of three puffy pullover jackets, all in blaze orange. Two are from patagonia and one is from Enlightened Equipment. Generally I’ve never had to use all three, but I got the opportunity in South Dakota this past weekend hunting for birds.

kowboy

FNG
Agree with others on using the 'puffy' as a survival item (or when I need to not get to the point of being cold in the first place). Much easier to shed heat then to try and gather it. Sitka's puffy works well for me and is always in my pack.

Pdzoller

WKR
I also use two different puffys. One is synthetic and the other down. I definitely use them both. I would recommend having one of each.

topher89

WKR
3rd season in Colorado is usually a two puffy season. I have First Lite Brooks, a Stone Glacier Grumman vest and jacket and a Patagonia hi loft. Depending on the forecast, I will bring some combo of those pieces

SonnyDay

WKR
I also have both the ultra and the pro… and both always come along for late season. I often wear them both when it’s cold and I am stationary…

*zap*

WKR
A hood on a jacket is nice to have but not having one is not a deal breaker....just get a good down balaclava. Those are great for very cold sleeping also.

Sitka kelvin down ws = warmest outer jacket I own and I own wm down and marmot down. One does not cut it for me because the temps can vary so much....