Long Draw Arrow Build...Off the charts! Literally

kweb404

FNG
Ok,
New to archery. Just got my bow (Mathews Atlas). I have had my pro shop help me with this whole process.
I have a 33.5" Draw Length, 6'7" with a 84.25" wingspan!
I need to figure out my arrow spec's as I want to start shooting field & foam for the summer.
Hopefully if I feel I am good enough (lethal), I will try for a whitetail this fall.
I'd like to have my 3d & hunting arrow roughly the same build spec. I don't want to freak out when/if I put a fixed blade on and it is sitting inside the riser!
I just built up (6) Easton Axis 5mm uncut (34" c2c) with 50g half outs, 100g tips, 3 vane with wrap.
These arrows roughly come out at 600 grain!
Here is a picture of this arow at full draw.
Am I in the ball park or do I have something terribly wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_4371.jpg
    IMG_4371.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 95

Bump79

WKR
Dude.. what a missile. I'm jealous.

Also interested in draw weight and what spine those Axis are.

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
Putting your DW at 70 and IBO at 335 qspine shows you are weak.

If you use the 16gr insert and cut down to 32in you are getting better.

Attachments

• IMG_5274.png
    IMG_5274.png
    327.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5275.png
    IMG_5275.png
    329.8 KB · Views: 22

MuleyBuck

FNG
I’m 31” draw length and shoot a 30” arrow. Your broadhead just has to be past your rest. Shorter the better on arrow length, I’d cut those things down.

Also work on that grip.. 😉

Reactions: Zac
I understand the fear of having a broadhead inside the riser, but understand, if you want it clear of your fingers, you probably need 37+".

Your fingers can extend well past your riser, so if you are worried they might get in the way, you gotta get out in front of them.

I'd cut them down, shaft cut at berger hole seems to be most forgiving for me. Can't tell for certain, but looks like you might want to loosen your grip a bit too.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Putting your DW at 70 and IBO at 335 qspine shows you are weak.
The Atlas shows an IBO rating of "up to 350fps @ 34" draw". This seems to be a popular marketing strategy these days for long draw bows. 350fps sure looks way more impressive than 310fps. But in the end, it's still a 310 IBO bow from past industry standards with a huge brace height at 7 3/4".......very forgiving, but not an aggressive bow at all.

My PSE Freak was marketed as an "IBO of 354fps @ 33" draw". That just means that it's a 324 IBO bow.

Marble

WKR
Your arrow is way too long.......cut those things down. Nothing wrong with your BH over the shelf. Just keep your fingers on the grip and out of the way of the arrow. I have a 32.5"+ draw length and my arrows are all cut to 30". They work fine. You should easily be able to cut to 31" and be fine.
This right here.

Additionally, use the regular HIT, no brass and choose a head of whatever weoght you want. I would be trying to get closer to 500 grains TAW. With your arrow length and weight, you don't need to add weight to it. Curious on what spine it will say, probably 250 but IDK.

If you want your 3d and your hunting arrows to shoot/tune the same, then shoot the exact same arrow for both. Don't try to make something work only to have to continue screwing with it and resighting in your bow. I've gone down this road and it's a gigantic PITA. So I have two bows now.

Concentrating on fire tuning one set up over several months will yield much better results than doing it with two.

Cut that arrow about 2" shorter than your draw length.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

haus

FNG
Ok,
New to archery. Just got my bow (Mathews Atlas). I have had my pro shop help me with this whole process.
I have a 33.5" Draw Length, 6'7" with a 84.25" wingspan!
I need to figure out my arrow spec's as I want to start shooting field & foam for the summer.
Hopefully if I feel I am good enough (lethal), I will try for a whitetail this fall.
I'd like to have my 3d & hunting arrow roughly the same build spec. I don't want to freak out when/if I put a fixed blade on and it is sitting inside the riser!
I just built up (6) Easton Axis 5mm uncut (34" c2c) with 50g half outs, 100g tips, 3 vane with wrap.
These arrows roughly come out at 600 grain!
Here is a picture of this arow at full draw.
Am I in the ball park or do I have something terribly wrong?
Eh kinda? Im similar dimensions to you and shoot 32”, have shot up to 34” and everything in between. Its not hard to manipulate DL through form and release preference when your working with those dimensions. I preferred shooting 34” DL, super comfy, but I’m most accurate at 32” so it’s where I stay.

Regarding arrows the charts and software can get you in the ballpark, but we’re in no man’s land with a lot of this stuff. Axis can work if your careful, I think your setups very much on the weak side and unnecessarily heavy though. First off ctc 1.5” under DL is just fine, I shoot that comfortably with HIT inserts, no half out collar bling. What do your wraps weigh and which fletching are you using, are you using the nocks the arrows came with?

OP
K

kweb404

FNG
Sorry for the radio silence. I got locked out!
Thanks for all the input on this. I have done a fair bit of practice over the last week and I definitely think I would like a lighter arrow. The Axis 260's I built up are 601g. I think I'm gonna cut a few of them down 1.5" and install the HIT inserts with a 100g tip. That will put them around 520g. It shows only a 9% FOC which seems low, but what do I know!

Robobiss

FNG
Assuming everything checks out in regards to spine, you’re Gucci. Nothing wrong with what you posted. It seems a little light on the spine to me, but what do I know. As others have said, you can chop those arrows a couple inches and that will stiffen you up and get you closer to ideal in regards to spine.

I shoot 30.5” draw @ 80 lbs with a 250 spine and 190 out front between insert and broadhead. TAW around 550, 280 FPS or so coming off the bow. Shoots good!

Robobiss

FNG
Currently at 60lbs
I redact my statement in regards to spine seeming a little light. At 60 pounds you’re very likely fine. Run it, or chop them and run it. Either way you will likely be in the chips.

Have fun!

Marshfly

WKR
Yeah. 60 pounds at that draw length will still be super fast with a reasonable weight arrow. I have a buddy with a 3" longer draw length than me and I always get jealous when we shoot through the chrono and he is faster with 10# less draw weight.

OP
K

kweb404

FNG
Draw weight is another variable that I’m unsure of. Like I said, currently at 60 pounds but could easily go up to 70 or 75 pounds.
Does it even make sense to increase? Or do you always want to pull whatever max draw weight your comfortable with?

Robobiss

FNG
Draw weight is another variable that I’m unsure of. Like I said, currently at 60 pounds but could easily go up to 70 or 75 pounds.
Does it even make sense to increase? Or do you always want to pull whatever max draw weight your comfortable with?
Bow will always shoot the best turned all the way up.

That much better that you even notice with your level of experience? Probably not. 60 pounds will kill anything in North America, but 70 or 75 will shoot much flatter, and will obviously penetrate more given a similar arrow weight.

Going up in weight wouldn’t be a huge concern of mine if I were you. I’d worry about getting together a consistent shot process and shooting the bow well before trying to launch arrows at warp speed, personally.

No it doesn't make sense to go heavier pull weight UNLESS you're hunting Africa

I'm a 31" draw and constantly feel like I should get 60# limbs for my bow

More draw weight means more speed (which is a good thing), but accuracy is the most important factor. If 70# is a struggle and negatively affects your accuracy, stick with 60#. If not, go for it. Mathews' Switchweight mods allow you to try out a wide range of draw weights fairly cheaply.

If you lighten your arrows to around 520 gr, you should get around 265 fps at 33.5"/60#, which is plenty for whatever you want to hunt.