SKRE CBC package review

I fortunately was drawn for the SKRE package in the Cold Bow Challenge this year.

Hardscrabble Jacket, Hardscrabble Pant and Kaibab 150 merino 1/4 zip.

I’ve really enjoyed the jacket, fits great, functions very well for me, and had replaced a KUIU guide jacket as my wear around jacket when I need more than a fleece. It does well in a lite rain, little harder rain or long exposure and it will soak through, when it does soak through it takes a very long time to dry and holds ALOT of water. Still keeps you warmer than expected when soaked though.
I intentionally didn’t put on my rain jacket in a soaking rain fishing this spring to see what the jacket could take and do.
I think this jacket does better in the wind than the guide, breathes about as well and is warmer.

Hardscrabble pant. I would put this about on par with the KUIU Attack for use range. It shares the name with the jacket but appears to be a different material, thickness, etc.
waist runs small, SKRE recommends sizing up which I did and the waist fit like it should, but fit is a little odd for me. I have 30 or so miles in them and they just don’t quite fit how I would like.
Waist rides higher more inline with Stone Glacier pants, but the crotch is also higher so things tend to get jammed up down there. That is really my only complaint on fit.
I have big thighs and can’t even get some pants on because of that. The SKRE fit good, ventilate well with the hip zips, have a harder face material than the attack pant.
I would say they are really similar to the Sitka mountain pant with breathability and face material but with the hip vent easily outperform the mountain pant in usable/functional temperature range.
I like the sticky waistband material a lot and thought that was a nice feature. Unfortunately with the fit for me these will be moving on, they are not comfortable, and in the right sweating conditions cause chaffing for me with the high crotch.

Kaibab 150 1/4 zip long sleeve. I’ve essentially moved away from merino base layers because I feel like synthetics perform better across all conditions for me. I did give this top a run and it will be staying and continue to get use.
September I used this as my shirt to sleep in since I like a clean long sleeve inside my sleeping bag. Somewhere around 20 nights plus another 10 in October.
Shirt fit is nice on me with slimmer wrists which I like and a good base layer fit through the body. Neck is about right and I have a big neck. Doesn’t feel itchy at all, nice feel on skin, not too wool smelly when wet.
I’ve worn it hunting a few days and it perform as well as any other merino I’ve worn from KUIU, icebreaker, firstlite, etc. I usually still wear a synthetic shirt sleeve under because I’m a firm believer that synthetic against your skin is a superior moisture management system and that has been proven for me over years of use. Shirt dries as quick as wool can, moves moisture well and remains comfortable in use.
I’ll continue to use this shirt and it’s my preferred long sleeve sleeping shirt and one I grab when I feel like I need and extra lightweight long sleeve top between my synthetic short sleeve and either peloton 97 or 240.

Don’t hesitate to try out SKRE, performance is very near or on par with much higher priced options out there. Summit pattern works very well through the majority of Montana fall and spring hunting seasons.

Couple other items I’ve been a longtime SKRE user of and believe in.
Deadfall gloves, these are essentially Sitka mountain gloves that cost about half and come in a XXL which I need. These are my primary glove when a glove is needed from early bow season through November. If it’s on the colder side I add a hand warmer to the palm. Cut wind very well, conform to your hand great over time with good dexterity, hard face stands up to lite moisture or a wet snow well. Only time I don’t use them is approaching single digit temps and below and at that point go to mitts with hand warmers over a lighter less bulky glove.

Ptarmigan puffy jacket. Hard to find a better performing 5 ish oz down filled puffy. One unique feature is how the hood is sewn on below the top of collar and not integral so you can zip it all the way up but not choke yourself if you don’t want the hood on. I don’t like hoods most of the time and would rather hear or not have the hood obstructing my hearing, vision or twisting whatever hat I have on around. Fit is just right for size to go over some layers and a light jacket.

Last edited: