Turnkey cost poll for successful DIY elk hunters - All about the Benjamin's?

The reason it goes sideways is because there are people out there that tell him he'll "need" $10k in gear. I'm not sure I've spent $10k for gear in the last 40 years combined for hunting, and I've killed dozens of elk and deer and even a sheep and a moose.
40 years ago it was a lot cheaper. LOL

Let's talk about basic expenses in 2020s not 1980s

Gun/scope/rail/rings: $1500-2000k and this is not a top tier setup.
Boots: 200-500 for a mountain boot
Tent: 100-500
Sleeping Bag: 100-300
Sleeping Pad: 50-150
Pack: 100-700
Clothes: use what you have all the way up to 500
Nocs, RF, Tripod: 700 up to several K

Low end $2500 to get up and running.

I don't hunt from a truck or deer/elk camp. I sleep on the mountain. So, I do pay more for lighter gear.

Last edited:

squirrel

WKR
I went on my first elk hunt with a tag $30
bow$137
sleeping bag $80
tent $20
clothing and food... NOT hunting clothing, and NOT backpacker food, just clothing and food, the kind you wear and eat.
Backpack -free for selling more crap than any other scout in my troop but probably worth $20 if bought.

Mostly I REALLY wanted to hunt elk, and did so for 35 days until I got one.
Sorry my dogs insisted hat I go for a walk NOW...

I meant to jump forward 35-40 years (and about 50 elk) and had to laugh at myself as I realised that last November I went with

Tag- $50
rifle-scope $3-400?
binos- $150
tent - free off facebook
sleeping bag- $20 facebook
Heavy coat- pumpkin yellow free Steamboat dumpster Orange vest from work free.
Muck boots- $129
packframe after kill- $39 Walmart special PADDED shoulder straps!
2 shells reloads to "save money"

I must conclude I am just a high roller by nature.
But again I REALLY wanted to hunt elk and hunted till I got one.

Last edited:

Crusader

WKR
A fair amount of the gear you'd need for elk hunting (boots, some of the clothing, rifle, knife, pack, etc.) could easily be used for other big game hunting out west or for deer in your home state. Meat from successful hunts for this other game could therefore help increase your "ROI" and make it easier on your budget.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
40 years ago it was a lot cheaper. LOL
Well ya, and most guys have replaced most of their stuff from 40 years ago as well......including me. And it still doesn't cost $10k.......unless you want it to. I've done rifle, but mostly all archery now, and also backpacking in, and camping at my truck base camp too.

The cost of a hunting trip whether sucessfull or unsuccessful (other heading back west later in the season a second time because my first trip I did not harvest) is the same. I can’t really think of any extra cost that come because you have harvested. If you hire someone to pack out for you or pay someone to do your meat processing for you than yeah there is some extra $ involved.

My first year hunting was a solo trip drove 2800 miles round trip, 15mpg @ 3$ a gallon (can’t remember exactly what gas was then) was about 560$ for fuel. Plus the 900$ for the tag itself.

The cost of my second trip because I was unsuccessful
560$ in gas again,
Took a week from work unpaid cost 900$ after taxes and deductions that’s liquid cash I did not get.

Harvested a cow first day I was back first 15 min of sunlight. Cut in front of the herd and took a gimme shot on a cow instead of waiting for the bull to come and try for him. (I had to ditch my pack to make it there quick enough and my range finder was tied off on my pack not around my neck otherwise I would have waited for the bull that was coming. Lesson learned attach finder to the body not the pack. Still don’t regret this decision at all very happy with having a cow when I more than likley could have got a shot at the bull). The only gear that helped me on this hunt was my 80$ Molle II rucksack. Didn’t need rangefinder, binos, trekking poles a ultralight tent. Getting up early and hiking in the dark to the top where the elk are was the reason why I was sucesfull not because I had the latest and greatest gadgets. I wish I had better boots than the danners I was using tho lol that would have helped.

560$ gas 1st trip
560$ gas second trip
900$ tag
900$ lost work wages
=
2920$ for the year. I’ll round it to 3,000 for the cost of putting the meat on ice for the hot drive home.

I think I got 180lbs of finish processed meat off her

3000/180= about 16.50$ a pound of meat.

Attachments

• 10A2077A-F47B-474E-89F4-D7D849C1D22D.png
    10A2077A-F47B-474E-89F4-D7D849C1D22D.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
Well ya, and most guys have replaced most of their stuff from 40 years ago as well......including me. And it still doesn't cost $10k.......unless you want it to.
Truth. Most of my expenses are in my optics. I have lower end optics which my kids now use but I much prefer alpha glass.

OP
WoodnotRust
His point is simple.
Budget.
Simply wants to get an idea of how much money it will cost to accumulate needed gear/etc to hunt Western game.
Not sure why this goes sideways.
I'm in the 10k+ camp.
BUT I have really good optics.

On any given hunt I have ~ 8k in gear: tent and sleeping gear, clothes/boots, gun, optics/tripod, RF, pack, misc gear, etc. Does NOT include tag fees/travel/etc.

I've been very selective with my gear. Lots of research etc. I haven't upgraded anything and I don't have anything on my current NEED list. Point is purchase wisely and be weary of the GEAR FAIRY.

But I have gear that is NOT used. Most newbies overpack at first. I did. With time you understand what you need and what you don't.
I appreciate the direct response and you did exactly answer my question. That said, as long as things don't go too crazy sideways I see that many are also giving helpful and honest answers that allow me to fill in some of the blanks.

I haven't fine tuned my gear list, but I hope to come in just under $8K if I'm lucky in the public draw. That's everything starting from nothing. More if I need to buy a landowner tag here in NM. I know that sounds crazy since I'm absolutely in the same camp as those people that say you can hunt in Walmart camo and a cheap frame back. That's the way I did it in my youth, but the only difference now is that I'm older and in need of more comfort. I will need help to pack out an elk in backcountry...not that I'll be successful the first year, but still planning for success.

Big money items for me will likely be the cost of a horse pack-in/out ($1,200), pack ($600), bino's ($$$), Compound Bow and all the accessories ($1500), Rangefinder (already bought Leica 2400-R, $550), Tent ($600) and clothes and boots ($1000?). I know the clothes and boots category seem crazy, but I don't have any rain gear, no merino anything and I'm not sure my new Merrell boots will do the job. All the other little stuff adds up pretty quickly.

All this will get sorted this summer after the calves drop in June. I will have the time to scout my area solo on 3-5 day backcountry trips. That's why tent and pack costs are high...I'm concerned about oz's since I'm carrying everything at high elevation. I will rent high-end bino's for my scouting trips and compare these to the cheap Celestron and Nikon ones I have now. The best Swaro's can be rented for about $300/wk.

I'm surprised at the lack of hard-core hunters that don't admit they have $20K plus of stuff around them during their hunts. Multiple high-end bino's, spotting scopes, tripods, sxs's and all the gear you see advertised on these sites should easily add up to that those higher numbers, especially when $3000 landowner tags and outfitter costs are dropped into the mix.

@BarCO wrote that the more equip he bought the less successful he became...is that a general truth? Maybe to a point because the focus becomes less on hunting and more on equipment.

Gerbdog

WKR
I think experience in elk hunting will far outweigh any gear you throw at the elk hunting equation problem. IF you know what your doing and can suffer some discomfort you can , as you said, hunt in walmart gear and kill / pack out an elk NOOO problem. My first elk in NM when i was much younger is the way i did it also.... in cheap walmart gear.... but hey ... im older and have a career now and i can say for sure the gear sure makes the whole thing a lot more comfortable. So to answer your question... no.... throwing benjamins wont magically make you a better hunter... but it can make you a more comfortable hunter.... what that means for each individual will vary... for some they can go longer and hunt harder.... for others it wouldnt matter.

Im also not under the illusion that the meat is cheap. The experience though... thats what im here for.

ill also add to your binos cost thoughts... ($$$)... i'd look at what terrain you expect to be hunting. I have a pair of leupolds i picked up for 300$ on sale... they work great for the areas i hunt but.... im usually hunting in thick timber and not trying to glass elk miles away.... so if the binos will pick out antlers / fur through the under brush im content. I'm also not trying to spot the nub of a 7th tine on one side of the elk a mile away either... trophy hunters probably value higher end glass more then i do.... but if i can tell its a good bull across the canyon... thats enough for me.

williaada

WKR
Cost of gear changes as you hunt more and learn how you like to hunt and want to hunt. For instances wants and needs are different. I have glassed deer and elk with diamond back 8x42s non HDD glass and now run swaros and will be getting an alpha spotter to count points on deer and elk from longer distances. Total cost of gear through the years with upgrades in glass, weapon, and sleep gear puts me around 9k. Most of this wants not a need.

I think I took a dozen trips out west (from eastern KS), hunting and scouting, prior to killing my first bull. How do you price that? There are flights and rentals and a whole bunch wrapped up in that.

I don't care if you have all the money in the world. If you don't want to kill a DIY elk really really badly, you won't. And if you want it really really badly, then the cost is acceptable, whatever it is.

Last edited:
I appreciate the direct response and you did exactly answer my question. That said, as long as things don't go too crazy sideways I see that many are also giving helpful and honest answers that allow me to fill in some of the blanks.

I haven't fine tuned my gear list, but I hope to come in just under $8K if I'm lucky in the public draw. That's everything starting from nothing. More if I need to buy a landowner tag here in NM. I know that sounds crazy since I'm absolutely in the same camp as those people that say you can hunt in Walmart camo and a cheap frame back. That's the way I did it in my youth, but the only difference now is that I'm older and in need of more comfort. I will need help to pack out an elk in backcountry...not that I'll be successful the first year, but still planning for success.

Big money items for me will likely be the cost of a horse pack-in/out ($1,200), pack ($600), bino's ($$$), Compound Bow and all the accessories ($1500), Rangefinder (already bought Leica 2400-R, $550), Tent ($600) and clothes and boots ($1000?). I know the clothes and boots category seem crazy, but I don't have any rain gear, no merino anything and I'm not sure my new Merrell boots will do the job. All the other little stuff adds up pretty quickly.

All this will get sorted this summer after the calves drop in June. I will have the time to scout my area solo on 3-5 day backcountry trips. That's why tent and pack costs are high...I'm concerned about oz's since I'm carrying everything at high elevation. I will rent high-end bino's for my scouting trips and compare these to the cheap Celestron and Nikon ones I have now. The best Swaro's can be rented for about $300/wk.

I'm surprised at the lack of hard-core hunters that don't admit they have $20K plus of stuff around them during their hunts. Multiple high-end bino's, spotting scopes, tripods, sxs's and all the gear you see advertised on these sites should easily add up to that those higher numbers, especially when $3000 landowner tags and outfitter costs are dropped into the mix.

@BarCO wrote that the more equip he bought the less successful he became...is that a general truth? Maybe to a point because the focus becomes less on hunting and more on equipment.
For me, no. More money did equal better opportunity b/c it kept me in the backcountry longer. Better gear and lighter gear. I don't have pack animals so everything I do is on foot. It's not a direct correlation b/c with time and gear I also gained experience.

I buy quality gear that never, well rarely, needs to be replaced. Clothes, I fix tears and holes only needing to replace clothing if it's unusable which is rare. Unfortunately, low end gear is not typically light gear. Yes, there are exceptions. I also buy gear that I believe will not fail in the backcountry and compromise my hunt. Yes, things happen even with high quality gear just less so in my experience. Some gear, I will pay more because it will keep me more comfortable in the backcountry and weighs less. All of which keeps me hunting longer which equals more opportunity.

I never complain about having comfortable feet, enjoying my glassing experience with Swaro, packing out meat in a very comfortable pack, staying warm, etc. I have complained about shoulder pain with a pos pack that I had on my first pack out or gear that wasn't meeting my needs or gear that was too heavy to justify using it on the next trip.

For elk hunting where just an elk is a goal, I think optics are over rated. Most elk will be in heavy timber where you won't be glassing for them from a distance. I have spotted elk at great distance in late and early light, but it's not something where you glass for hours on end. You need optics to determine what you are looking at, not the quality of what you are looking at. I don't use a spotting scope elk hunting, I will carry it in the truck usually, however I don't find it essential. $300 Binoculars are what I have killed the majority of my elk with, tho after needing to replace several, I did conclude that money up front is well spent.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For elk hunting where just an elk is a goal, I think optics are over rated.
Bingo.......especially for bowhunting rutting bulls.

I usually have my Kahles 8x32's with me, but quite frankly I rarely use them. I normally don't see the bulls until they're already within bow range. And by that time I already have a pretty good idea on their maturity/size from their interactions.

I just bought a pair of lightly used $360 Hoffman boots for $185. I already have boots, but these will compliment nicely. I've been wanting to try the Hoffman's. The deals are out there if you know what you like.

Last edited:
Bingo.......especially for bowhunting rutting bulls.

I usually have my Kahles 8x32's with me, but quite frankly I rarely use them. I normally don't see the bulls until they're already within bow range. And by that time I already have a pretty good idea on their maturity/size from their interactions.

I just bought a pair of lightly used $360 Hoffman boots for $185. I already have boots, but these will compliment nicely. I've been wanting to try the Hoffman's. The deals are out there if you know what you like.

When stalking I use binos a lot. Gotta figure out if that's a dead fall or an elk.

Told that to a buddy and he said he'll that takes all the fun outta it!

If 100% calling, don't really need them at all.

My bona fides (lol): ten elk hunts and five punched tags on public land.

OP: You are in a unique position starting from scratch with little or no gear. For myself (and several friends I’ve introduced to hunting) it’s been ok to use whatever hiking/camp gear I already had. Over the years as things fail (and I become more solvent and convinced that I’ll be a lifelong elk hunter) I’ll replace certain items with purpose-specific hunting gear. So coming at it from that angle, I don’t feel like it has to be a big-money proposition.

Several things that keep costs down for me: I don’t backpack hunt; I don’t try to shoot elk more than 300 yds away; I only hunt in the state where I’m a resident; I usually drive less than 4 hours to hunt (sometimes 15 minutes); I cut all my own meat.

Knowing what I know now, if I was starting from scratch with gear and trying to do it on the cheap:

Gun: go to the nearest gun shop (or pawn shop) and buy the $400est used bolt action rifle/scope combo chambered between 6.5 creed and 338 win mag.
Ammo: $150 worth of whatever GOOD hunting ammo I’m gonna hunt with so I can figure out where my gun hits and practice a bit.
Binos: basic 10x42s for $300
Pack: cheap frame pack $50
Knife: you already have a knife that will work, plus $35 worksharp handheld sharpener
Game bags: Alaska game bag set $20
Clothes: go to Goodwill in any town in the West, buy used fleece, puffy, and gortex clothing - $200
Boots: get a $150 set of boots from danner or rocky. Make sure to break them in.
Tent: buy whatever ok 4-man tent you can find ($200), if it’s real wet rig a tarp over the tent.
Sleep system: buy an ok foam pad ($50) and a used bag ($100). Bring a quilt from home to put on top if it’s gonna be cold.
Cook system: find metal grate to put over the campfire
Tag: $45

That’s like $1700, round up to $2k. Even if you gotta pay a grand for a nonres tag and another grand for gas, you are still under $5k.

You won’t be glamping, but if you are spending a lot of time in camp, you are doing it wrong anyway.

OP
WoodnotRust
@DawnPatrol
My Lord! What perspective. I just bought a Kuiu pro pack system and rain gear on their winter sale and I'm literally blushing with embarrassment. Last week I bought a rangefinder and I think I'm already at your budget.

Yours is a realistic "no-frills" budget though for a resident in elk country who can reliably day hunt from a truck. That could be me with a lot more experience and more local knowledge than I have now. Like you, others have pointed out that much of the gear is related to hunting style and desired comfort level for that hunt.

I can't help but ask though...looking at the purpose-specific gear you've been successful with and the extra that make you happy...where do you tip the scales?

I plan to bowhunt in the backcountry, but that bit of bravado might be short lived. Kinda reminds me of a movie I saw as a kid...

Last edited:

Gerbdog

WKR
"bowhunt in the backcountry"

This is where all that expensive gear makes hunts comfortable and technology has come a long way.... If you want to backcountry hunt for elk with a bow you can absolutely grit down and suffer through... but sticking it out and then pulling a dead elk out... this is where you can spend 500 on boots, 800 on a pack, 400 on a lightweight tent.... etc. etc. etc.

Your looking to do a highly committed hunt when you go backcountry, and it can absolutely be done on the cheap, but i can tell you from experience that those upgrades in gear make a big difference, even just in weight to get camp back into the backcountry... not even thinking about pulling an elk back out.

If i were you, and im not, so this is all a grain of salt, i'd start out with truck hunting for elk, come back to your truck at night, crash out, get up and hike a few miles in again in the morning looking for elk, etc. This will tell you if elk hunting with a bow is something your interested in, and want to pursue further, before you take the dive into backcountry, spend a bunch on gear, and find out it really isnt your thing. There are just as many elk within a few miles of the road as there are 7 miles deep.

Or maybe your just built tough as nails and can hunt the backcountry without the comforts and gear. There are entire generations that got it done this way.