Looking for guidance on WY elk hunt

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
You are making my point. I said "..different people put different levels of importance in different things..." You wouldn't want to share it, and that's great- if you're ever in the OPs shoes, sounds like you'd choose to not have anyone else tag along. The OP obviously wants something different than that, which is also great.

"...different people put different levels of importance in different things..."
It is my soap and I will shower and scrub myself as fast or as long as I want! LOL!

bsnedeker

WKR
You are making my point. I said "..different people put different levels of importance in different things..." You wouldn't want to share it, and that's great- if you're ever in the OPs shoes, sounds like you'd choose to not have anyone else tag along. The OP obviously wants something different than that, which is also great.

So let's break this down

1. There is no reason his dad can't come on a guided hunt with him. Therefore...
2. The only benefit to DIY is the "experience" and the "memories" and the "satisfaction" you would get out of a DIY hunt. The problem with that, as I see it is
3. This guy has zero experience hunting... how does he know what he values in a hunt? He's never done it!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I think the only wrong answer is one that the OP didn’t choose. Has he chimed in recently?

LA Hunter

FNG
Can you take a rain check on these raffle tags? Like hunt next year?

If it were me, I would want to have at least two hunts under my belt and then pull the trigger on a DIY hunt.

The only 2 units specifically mentioned are 100 and 124. For experience I’d hunt the NW corner of the state. He’s never seen the MOUNTAINS! OMG!!! That alone would be a worthy experience that he wouldn’t get in high desert areas. He might kill a 360 bull. He might kill a 320. The potential for a stud bull is there but the potential for an incredible experience is guaranteed. If his dad and son take days off in the areas of 100/124 what will they do? A day off in a high mountain camp is freaking awesome! Camp life and day hikes would make great memories. Days in a rental house or hotel not so much. If a guy has never been out west for any purpose he should forget about the idea of big bulls altogether and go hunt God’s Country!

Unit 100 would be very accommodating to dad. A typical day would/could include driving to glassing spots, dropping the hunter off at a spot and picking him up in another spot. Planning a stalk when a bull is found. Probably driving up very close to the kill. All well below 8,000’. I’m nowhere near an elk “expert” but I do know the area pretty well. I’ve spent a fair amount of time riding my motorcycle, hunting predators, working and just exploring out there. It would be a great place to DIY and the family would have a great time too. Hiring a guide would definitely up the odds of a really great bull. Any help I could offer would be free.

BuzzH

WKR
Some of the elk units that border flaming gorge would be worth a thunk as well...dad and son could bring some fishing stuff and not have to worry much about not having anything to do.

Area 31 wouldn’t be a bad choice. I don’t know the area as well but I’ve screwed around there a bit. More juniper trees and small mountain type terrain. I’d say it would be somewhere between a mountain hunt and a desert hunt physically.

MRC

FNG
His father is in “his mid 70’s”. I live in the Midwest and have hunted in the mountains. It may not bother local people but elevation can be tough for a 30 year old from the east. 75 year old from Florida on a horseback in the mountains. Hiking around in the mountains after a long horseback ride at 10,000 to 12,000 feet actually might not be that much fun for him.

tdhanses

WKR

True or he doesn’t fully understand what he has been given, hard to say.

His father is in “his mid 70’s”. I live in the Midwest and have hunted in the mountains. It may not bother local people but elevation can be tough for a 30 year old from the east. 75 year old from Florida on a horseback in the mountains. Hiking around in the mountains after a long horseback ride at 10,000 to 12,000 feet actually might not be that much fun for him.
Part of why I’d propose the Red Desert. I think the highest points are below 9,000’. Still pretty high up if you live at sea level, but not keel over and quit high up. Most of the hunting would be closer to 7,000’. Also, he mentioned renting a place in Rock Springs. Hot shower and warm bed every night would help a lot.

Last edited:

Scoot

WKR
So let's break this down
No, I'll pass on breaking it down any farther. The dude said what he's going to do and some people whose vote didn't get selected are apparently butt hurt. Why folks are so invested in whether or not he hires a guide is interesting. I offered my opinion via post (I think I did by post- can't remember right now) and PM. If he hadn't done what I had suggested, my response would have been "OK, I hope it goes well for him" and not "WTH, you don't get it! You don't understand what you have! You should do what I said and have your dad come too!"

If he thinks it'll be a better experience doing the hunt with just his dad and not a guide, then I'm going to do something absolutely crazy and wish him luck and move on with my life. Good luck to the OP!

bsnedeker

WKR
Man, don’t be weird obsessive. It’s creepy
Didn't you just say you were moving on from this thread like....1 post ago?

Thanks for letting everyone know, by the way, I would have been super worried about you if you hadn't told us that!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Scoot

WKR
True or he doesn’t fully understand what he has been given, hard to say.
Yes, that could be. But if the OP places more value on going with Dad than squeezing every last bit of worth out of the tag (as perceived by others), I see nothing wrong with that. He's heard a bunch of times "you don't understand what you have here!" and "you have to do this tag justice". Maybe he still doesn't understand, but based on what he's PM'd me, I'm pretty sure he gets it. He apparently just doesn't value some of the things others do as much as they do (a huge bull) and appears to value the experience of doing it on his own (i.e., no guide) and with his dad at his side (and son too).

Jethro

WKR
Was a lot of good info given on this thread. I tended to agree with the guided hunt, and I never feel that way whenever somebody asks the guided vs. DIY. That was based on OP's limited overall hunting experience. But it's his tag, his decision. Nobody else's. 1 certainty: whether he shoots a 350 or a 280 or eats the tag, 3 generations of guys will remember it forever.

I don't care what he kills. I don't even care if he decides to get an antelope tag. I just hope he comes back here afterwards, says he had the time of his life, and tells us all about it.

tdhanses

WKR
Yes, that could be. But if the OP places more value on going with Dad than squeezing every last bit of worth out of the tag (as perceived by others), I see nothing wrong with that. He's heard a bunch of times "you don't understand what you have here!" and "you have to do this tag justice". Maybe he still doesn't understand, but based on what he's PM'd me, I'm pretty sure he gets it. He apparently just doesn't value some of the things others do as much as they do (a huge bull) and appears to value the experience of doing it on his own (i.e., no guide) and with his dad at his side (and son too).
And this same thing could easily be accomplished on a one week otc hunt in CO if having the overall experience is what matters, take the tag out of the equation completely if that’s the case.

Scoot

WKR
And this same thing could easily be accomplished on a one week otc hunt in CO if having the overall experience is what matters, take the tag out of the equation completely if that’s the case.
Do you figure he would have the same experience with his dad in an OTC unit? Pretty sure that would be an apple's and oranges experience completely. Yes he would be with his dad but everything else would be entirely different. He wants to go without a guide and with his father… it's his choice to make! Why is it that some people seem so concerned about the fact that he is choosing that route with this tag?

Personally I think it's a great choice! That being said if I thought it was a terrible choice I would voice my opinion and let him know in an effort to help him, then I wouldn't give a damn after that, but I'd wish him the best.

FYI to all you internet defenders of tag value… there's a guy in the mulie forum who who brought his neighbor and no guide on a Henry's mountain mule deer hunt. Go get um fella's! This terrible wrong must be righted! 😁