Looking for guidance on WY elk hunt

tdhanses

WKR
Do you figure he would have the same experience with his dad in an OTC unit? Pretty sure that would be an apple's and oranges experience completely. Yes he would be with his dad but everything else would be entirely different. He wants to go without a guide and with his father… it's his choice to make! Why is it that some people seem so concerned about the fact that he is choosing that route with this tag?

Personally I think it's a great choice! That being said if I thought it was a terrible choice I would voice my opinion and let him know in an effort to help him, then I wouldn't give a damn after that, but I'd wish him the best.

FYI to all you internet defenders of tag value… there's a guy in the mulie forum who who brought his neighbor and no guide on a Henry's mountain mule deer hunt. Go get um fella's! This terrible wrong must be righted! 😁
I would say yes for a first hunt, odds probably are similar to getting into anything but if the hunt isn’t priority otc co can be a great family experience.

I don’t think anyone is saying it isn’t his choice but he came asking opinions and that he’s been given.

I do get what your saying and If I had the tag I may consider this as well but I also know exactly what I’d be getting into and have everything I’d need, if i’d never done a hunt like this in the west and was new I’d recommend anyone in that situation to go with someone that has some experience if they could.

Last edited:

Scoot

WKR
I would say yes for a first hunt, odds probably are similar to getting into anything but if the hunt isn’t priority otc co can be a great family experience.

I don’t think anyone is saying it isn’t his choice but he came asking opinions and that he’s been given.

I do get what your saying and If I had the tag I may consider this as well but I also know exactly what I’d be getting into and have everything I’d need, if i’d never done a hunt like this in the west and was new I’d recommend anyone in that situation to go with someone that has some experience if they could.
Understood. I hear what you're saying and it makes sense to me. But the implied message from some is that "you didn't choose what I recommended so you are an idiot" or "you are screwing up". Given the lack of experience I understand where you are coming from and I think your rational makes perfect sense. That being said I would do exactly what the OP is doing too.

Enough from me about this topic! I hope the OP goes and has a great hunt and takes the time to report back here with some pictures. I predict he will.

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
I just recently won the WWF raffle for a commissioner’s tag. Not for one second did I think I would win this raffle. I have only been applying for elk in WY over the last two years and used the WWF site as a guide while filling it out, so buying the raffle ticket the last two years was more for support than any chance at winning.

I’m 41 yrs old, and live in the panhandle of Florida. I am an avid fisherman and spearfisherman, but over the past 4 years, I have gotten into whitetail hunting and some land management. Many of my great/grandfathers were hunters and my dad grew up hunting in West Virginia, but I was consumed with sports as a kid and only hunted a handful of times – never really having a chance to catch the bug. I’ve since found a passion for hunting and spend as much time as I can during hunting season in South Alabama. My father and I get to hunt together quite a bit. He’s like a kid again when we get in the woods (he’s in his mid 70’s).

With that being said, I’ve never hunted out west, never even seen an elk in the wild. I know this is a once in a lifetime hunt and I don’t want to screw it up. After giving it a few weeks to research (Elk101, difference in costs, scouring all the forums and outfitters, researching units and listening to Jaden Bales podcast with one of the previous winners), it’s becoming a bit overwhelming and I could really use some suggestions. This is what I’ve come up with to this point.

1 – Go unguided Unit 100 and bring along my dad. Plan would be to drive up, rent a house for 2 weeks possibly around Rock Springs. I would need to purchase, rent, or borrow much of the gear. I know this would be more drive and hunt option bringing my dad, but from what I’ve read 100 should give us a good opportunity to find some bulls. My dad can handle 2-4 mile hikes at a time. I’ve considered flying up during bow season, renting a car, and scouting the area with maybe a shot at filling the tag with the bow. Having my own vehicle would also likely save quite a bit on transporting the meat and gear home.

2 – Go guided and most likely by myself possibly Unit 59/61 with horseback experience and opportunity to see Wyoming countryside and potential for large bull. Not sure if my dad could handle the long horseback rides if I brought him along. This would most likely be a bit less stressful. I could fly up and go straight to camp based on available hunting dates. I know the guided hunts will have a higher cost but it may not be as big of a difference considering the logistics and gear needed for the unguided option. My other concern, I have looked at South Fork and Shoshone Outfitters sites but they are taking reservations years out. I’m not even sure if I could get a spot. I have not called on any as I wanted to be sure on what I want to do and not take up anyone’s time.

So what do you guys think, am I even on the right track? Guided or Unguided - is there a better choice when having the commissioners tag? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or details I should be considering and would be happy to help any of you that come down my way for some offshore fishing. - Thanks
Dude, you should have also bought a lottery ticket the same day you purchased the elk lottery ticket- you were extremely lucky that day. That tag is something special and I would definitely go guided. I would love a chance at unit 7 hunt and I would book with one of the outfitters in the area. You will learn more in a week with a guide then years of hunting on your own. Also all the logistics (food, transportation, land access, etc.) are taken care of. Man I envy you. The best of luck to you.

MRC

FNG
If you won a tag that was good for all of unit 7 with permission on all private land would you still book an outfitter or would you try it on your own?

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
If you won a tag that was good for all of unit 7 with permission on all private land would you still book an outfitter or would you try it on your own?
If you were an experienced elk hunter you could consider a do it yourself but that would be a special enough tag that I would consider an outfitted hunt to better my odds of taking a really special bull.

think its important to remember different people have different priorities and goals with hunting and the outdoors. I've always thought if I drew something premium OIL , no way was i going to chance screwing it up by myself. im going guided and giving myself the best chance and getting the best animal I can with that tag. sounds like OP has different priorities though. I do wonder though about regret. if you dont kill diy, are you at peace with that? if you fail going diy and not give yourself the best chance you can if you went guided? I dont know the lay of the land though and it sounds like though what OP is wanting to accomplish is certainly possible in some units. id try and line up something on the back end with an outfitter or local maybe "just in case" scenario. you gotta do the tag justice imo. my first thought was get an outfitter that can accomodate your dad but i guess.

Bighorner

WKR
I will say if you wanted to go DIY what better position to be successful than having access to lots of elk in a low pressure unit. I would rather cut my teeth there than slugging it out in a general area with high pressure and skiddish elk.

11bar

FNG
Guided hunts are expense but for a once in a lifetime opportunity spend the money. Do you research and find a reputable guide with the amenities that suite you.

Fellas The OP hasn’t replied to this thread since page 3 when he made it clear what he planned to do. I happen to think he has a great idea. Some may think he’s crazy for not hiring an outfitter. His tag, his choice, his time. I’m sure if he wants more advice he’ll reply to this thread and/or PM people.

Moving on for now…

I will say if you wanted to go DIY what better position to be successful than having access to lots of elk in a low pressure unit. I would rather cut my teeth there than slugging it out in a general area with high pressure and skiddish elk.
FYI… Wyoming is NOT Colorado. I love my unpressured general license areas with relaxed elk. I watch them for days sometimes before making my move. You can always count on other hunters to stop or turn around at some point. We kill bulls 1/2 mile from camp sometimes. Less a couple times. And it’s not like there isn’t pressure in these primo units. There are other bull tags and sometimes too many cow tags. And desert terrain means elk are more visible. The words “easy” and “elk” should never be used in the same sentence. Besides… if he doesn’t care about killing an elk and prioritizes memories then “slugging it out” next year in the mountains should suit him just fine don’t you think? My opinion is he simply doesn’t know anything at all about elk hunting so he just doesn’t realize what he has. I totally get the great memories are my goal thing. He has guaranteed unlimited opportunity to do that at another time and another place.

wytx

WKR
He has awesome an opportunity for DIY hunt and a bull of a lifetime with his Dad and son.

Best of luck and we're all looking forward to the hunt story.