There are no big elk in the frank, the wolves ate em all

I am not with an outfitter. I am friends with an outfitter in the frank. He doesn't need me to talk it up for him. He is booked three years. He actually might be pissed that I posted this. Those elk were shot four days apart around around 200 yards apart. If I actually posted some pictures of the creek drainage we were in, I bet some on here would recognize it. It is the same fore the pictures I posted with my moose hunt. Don't want back ground shots, less some will notice.

As for wyoming I have never hunted anything in that state. (I do have 8 point for speed goats.) And right now I am typing while sitting in a hotel room in Dease Lake BC, around 150 miles from the Alaaskan highway, But you know I might be trying to help an outfitter in bc/yukon after posting my moose hunt. But you all who think that way go right ahead. I don't cxare. Those of who appreciated the post, thank you. I justed wanted to share a hunting story

I am curious to hear your take on the disappearance of elk from the Frank Church since reintroduction of the wolves that everyone else is experiencing

OP
frank church guy

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious to hear your take on the disappearance of elk from the Frank Church since reintroduction of the wolves that everyone else is experiencing
I know they hurt the population. title to thread was in jest. But you can find nice bulls in the frank. During the winter there streches of trail along the river that are surround by rockslides and the wolves trap them on the trail (cuz the elk have no place to go). I think some of these scorched earth fires (the ones that burn so hot nothing can grow back for while) take away a lot food resource limiting the elk to different areas making it easy for the wovles, I was just sharing story about one those areas I found. And I am moving to Fairbanks but I bought my lifetime hunting licesnes (treated like a resident but pay nonresident tag fees) so one day I can hunt there again, wolves or not.

During the winter there streches of trail along the river that are surround by rockslides and the wolves trap them on the trail (cuz the elk have no place to go). I think some of these scorched earth fires (the ones that burn so hot nothing can grow back for while) take away a lot food resource limiting the elk to different areas making it easy for the wolves
It’s impressive to compare the maps with the all historical fire perimeters on them to actual pictures of the frank. I think “climate change” is impacting how the fires are burning and sure doesn’t help that some of these new fires are burning hot in areas that didn’t have great regeneration from fires in the 70’s-2000’s.

Jjustus16

FNG
I know they hurt the population. title to thread was in jest. But you can find nice bulls in the frank. During the winter there streches of trail along the river that are surround by rockslides and the wolves trap them on the trail (cuz the elk have no place to go). I think some of these scorched earth fires (the ones that burn so hot nothing can grow back for while) take away a lot food resource limiting the elk to different areas making it easy for the wovles, I was just sharing story about one those areas I found. And I am moving to Fairbanks but I bought my lifetime hunting licesnes (treated like a resident but pay nonresident tag fees) so one day I can hunt there again, wolves or not.
Thanks for sharing. Would love to pick your brain some time. Not new to hunting, just to elk.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome read! Thank you. I planned a fly in elk hunt there about 6 years ago and the guys bailed on me right when it came time to get tags. Didn't go. One of these years I'll make time to get in there and see it.

Awesome read! Thank you. I planned a fly in elk hunt there about 6 years ago and the guys bailed on me right when it came time to get tags. Didn't go. One of these years I'll make time to get in there and see it.
Don’t take a gun. Hiking is much easier without one and you won’t need it anyway. 😂

I'm not completely new to Rokslide as I usually just use it for gear reviews etc, but I came across your thread because I'm headed to the Middle Fork later this year. The thread is actually reassuring that some decent elk still exist in the Frank. I'm trying to put as much research in as possible so any data helps. Good or bad. I'd like to PM you but this is my first post ever in the forums.

I lived in Fairbanks for several years and have done several north slope hunts so if I can help you out, let me know. I miss that place and all the hunting and fishing it offers. Enjoy!