Looking for guidance on WY elk hunt

I just recently won the WWF raffle for a commissioner’s tag. Not for one second did I think I would win this raffle. I have only been applying for elk in WY over the last two years and used the WWF site as a guide while filling it out, so buying the raffle ticket the last two years was more for support than any chance at winning.

I’m 41 yrs old, and live in the panhandle of Florida. I am an avid fisherman and spearfisherman, but over the past 4 years, I have gotten into whitetail hunting and some land management. Many of my great/grandfathers were hunters and my dad grew up hunting in West Virginia, but I was consumed with sports as a kid and only hunted a handful of times – never really having a chance to catch the bug. I’ve since found a passion for hunting and spend as much time as I can during hunting season in South Alabama. My father and I get to hunt together quite a bit. He’s like a kid again when we get in the woods (he’s in his mid 70’s).

With that being said, I’ve never hunted out west, never even seen an elk in the wild. I know this is a once in a lifetime hunt and I don’t want to screw it up. After giving it a few weeks to research (Elk101, difference in costs, scouring all the forums and outfitters, researching units and listening to Jaden Bales podcast with one of the previous winners), it’s becoming a bit overwhelming and I could really use some suggestions. This is what I’ve come up with to this point.

1 – Go unguided Unit 100 and bring along my dad. Plan would be to drive up, rent a house for 2 weeks possibly around Rock Springs. I would need to purchase, rent, or borrow much of the gear. I know this would be more drive and hunt option bringing my dad, but from what I’ve read 100 should give us a good opportunity to find some bulls. My dad can handle 2-4 mile hikes at a time. I’ve considered flying up during bow season, renting a car, and scouting the area with maybe a shot at filling the tag with the bow. Having my own vehicle would also likely save quite a bit on transporting the meat and gear home.

2 – Go guided and most likely by myself possibly Unit 59/61 with horseback experience and opportunity to see Wyoming countryside and potential for large bull. Not sure if my dad could handle the long horseback rides if I brought him along. This would most likely be a bit less stressful. I could fly up and go straight to camp based on available hunting dates. I know the guided hunts will have a higher cost but it may not be as big of a difference considering the logistics and gear needed for the unguided option. My other concern, I have looked at South Fork and Shoshone Outfitters sites but they are taking reservations years out. I’m not even sure if I could get a spot. I have not called on any as I wanted to be sure on what I want to do and not take up anyone’s time.

So what do you guys think, am I even on the right track? Guided or Unguided - is there a better choice when having the commissioners tag? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or details I should be considering and would be happy to help any of you that come down my way for some offshore fishing. - Thanks

Last edited:
What's your goal for the bull? Is there a specific size or characteristic that you want it to have? Hard to answer guided/unguided without knowing what will make you happy.

You need to make the most of this tag. If you don’t when you look back you’ll see a lost opportunity. If you had some experience hunting elk I’d say go DIY. I always encourage people to hunt on their own. But with a complete lack of elk hunting experience, western hunting experience, or any hunting experience at all I’m going to highly suggest you go guided. Elk are one of the toughest animals to hunt. In a top unit you can probably kill one on your own. But probably isn’t good enough. And while you’re at it you might as well kill a monster. Your first elk is going to be your personal best! You are in for a treat! Best of luck

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ this. If you want to maximize the tag an outfitter is the way to go. If you want to kill a good elk it's definitely do able even as a first timer in one of the "good" units.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
S
If unguided, my goal is less about size and more about doing the hunt myself and hopefully filling the tag. All that's out the door if guided. I'd want a chance at a big boy 340+.

Indian Summer - My initial plan was to go unguided but I get what you're saying about experience and not going to kid myself.

Fill your desire to kill an elk on your own later man! I’m telling you… you don’t know enough about elk to realize what you have in your hand. There are even hardcore diy hunters with experience and plenty of elk under their belts that would consider a guided hunt.

Congratulations on winning the tag!!
Heck of a way to start a western hunting career.

I guess this means I didn’t win and will have to anticipate your story. Glad they sold out the tickets to benefit the WWF programs. Didn’t realize they were getting down to the wire.

You have the equivalent of Willy Wonkas golden ticket for elk hunters. I've killed elk DIY and I would go guided horse back without hesitation... Like my kids say...YOLO...Start hitting the gym tomorrow and then get to the range and start shooting... Enjoy the experience take plenty of photos and be sure to post up a after action report.

PS..Also go buy a PowerBall, megamillions, any lottery ticket you can before that golden horseshoe mojo disappears.

Last edited:
Sounds like we’re traveling similar paths but I have yet to worry about applying for a tag. Good luck, you’ll love the experience whoever route you go!

tdhanses

WKR
Truthfully at your experience level and the quality of the tag you would be crazy to not go guided, also don’t downplay a guided hunt it’ll be every bit as difficult as diy.

If you won $100 million in the lotto would you take a free financial advisor or figure it all out on your own?

tdhanses

WKR
Congratulations on winning the tag!!
Heck of a way to start a western hunting career.

I guess this means I didn’t win and will have to anticipate your story. Glad they sold out the tickets to benefit the WWF programs. Didn’t realize they were getting down to the wire.
I don’t think it’s for the recent one as tickets are still for sale.

Congrats on the tag. I get you wanting to hunt with your dad for elk, however, I would strongly encourage you to go guided. Without knowing elk habits, habitat, or knowing the area it will be a difficult hunt. Then add in the elevation change from flatland FL to WY and it will makes things even harder. You’ll appreciate not only having the knowledge from the guide but everything else that goes with it, like a camp setup, food, transportation, meat care and so on. These additional things take up time and energy, which if you had experience wouldn’t be as big of a problem.

Like has been suggested start hitting the gym, pool or whatever will get you into shape it will pay you dividends in the field making the experience that much better.

Congrats again on drawing a great tag, enjoy the hunt, and whatever way you go, don’t forgot to tell us how it went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go_deep

WKR
With everything you posted, I'd go 100, or 124 if your up for a little bit more of a challenge.
Like many others above have posted, this is a true one in a lifetime opportunity. First I'd figure out a way to hunt 3 or 4 weeks, and I'd totally go for DIY!
Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Werty

WKR
Go late season when the bulls have gathered back up and are closer to the wintering grounds. I would highly recommend a guide or with someone that knows what they are doing. Good luck!