Toyota Tundra question

Question for Toyota Tundra owners. I’m thinking of upsizing from my current Tacoma which I really like, but I’ve got two boys that are currently in giant ass car seats. Pretty much eliminates my truck as an option to travel anywhere. So my question is, how does the current generation of tundra stack up against other full sized trucks, and are the trim levels comparative to the Tacoma? I have an SR5 which has everything I need.
Huge difference in room and size… fuel mileage on the current pickups is the biggest complaint, I have had 2 tundras, both had the 5.7, which is a great engine, just a fuel hog.

That being said, a new tundra is the route we went this year, still seemed like the best choice for a 1/2 ton.

My daughter doesn’t like my pickup (Colorado zr2) because it’s too small, haha… she likes the tundra

I have a 13' tundra crew max and comparing to my buddies' newer fords & chevys my tundra has way more room in the backseat. Great for long road trips minus the shitty fuel mileage and small gas tank. I could give too shits less about shitty fuel milage, but the small gas tank drives me nuts.

2five7

WKR
I have a 13' tundra crew max and comparing to my buddies' newer fords & chevys my tundra has way more room in the backseat. Great for long road trips minus the shitty fuel mileage and small gas tank. I could give too shits less about shitty fuel milage, but the small gas tank drives me nuts.
According to the specs I could find, the F150 Supercrew has 1" more rear legroom than the Crewmax. Lets not be giving out anecdotal evidence as fact when the OP is trying to make an important decision.

According to the specs I could find, the F150 Supercrew has 1" more rear legroom than the Crewmax. Lets not be giving out anecdotal evidence as fact when the OP is trying to make an important decision.
believing in specs is about the same as believing everything CNN says

big44a4

WKR

36 gallon tank does fine. If you got the 26 agreed it would be a problem. That said I still fill up 3-4 times a week on 36 gallon tank. Bring on the mileage tax they are talking about!

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
We just got a crewmax SR5 two months ago and came from an F150. Tons of room in the back seats of the crew max for sure. Multiple buddies over 6' have no issues sitting in the back. I've got the seat flipped up and my large dog kennel in the cab for hunting. Fuel milage does suck...no denying that. Average 14-16 mpg combined....however....when towing it is garbage. Was getting 8.1 mpg pulling my dual axle utility trailer with our Polaris Ranger 570 this weekend. Overall I do love the truck. I did not need all of the bells and whistles and the resale on the toyotas is crazy. Carvana will give me $6k more than I paid for it 2 months ago.

I have 3 kids and on 2nd Tundra, both double cabs. If you are talking Tundras from 2017 to 2021 then buy based on your bed length needs. Dc has the 6.5 and Crew has the 5.5' bed. Either cab will be fine for young kids in car seats with the crew cab having more room. In the DC though my kids in car seats would often put feed on back of front seats, which you can't do with the Crew because of the extra leg room.

DC is OK for legroom. Not great but can get by. Hell we drove 30 some hours 4 times with 4 guys to hunt out west so its doable. Now that my kids are about out of car seats and getting taller I am about ready to pull the trigger on a Crew cab with the 6.5 bed. Looks like the SR5s have a MSRP with most added options like TRD package in the $53 to $55K range.

My situation: 3 kids, two dogs and a wife. F-150 crew cab, canopy, 36 gallon tank.

I'm not a ford guy at all, but it might be worth a look, if you're not stuck on a Toyota

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2016 tundra with double cab. Plenty of room for granddaughter's car seat. Actually think it has more leg room than wife's Camry ... unless you run the front seat all the way back. Love having the 6-1/2 foot bed. Plain jane package for extras, but I am a plain guy and don't want a bunch of stuff to care for or repair.

Mileage is not great by any means, but it is consistent. I have the smaller 4.7L and it has never swayed more than 14-16 mpg, no matter how I push it. It was just short of 15mpg when in CO mountains or at 80mph on KS interstate. Best I have ever seen is 16mpg if cruising at 55mph.

I thought I heard '22 Tundra is going to use the Lexus V6 twin turbo which should bump up HP & torque as well as improve gas mileage. That will be sweet.

I definitely love the dependability I have seen out of the Tundra. Other than a new set of front brakes @ 130K, I have only required regular preventive service.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
MSRP + “market adjustment” tundras all carrying 8k plus adjustment here in south texas. Checkout the ford bronco with a 30k “market adjustment” View attachment 358575
Holy crap. No thanks on that.

Thanks for all the replies so far, lots of good info.
Guess it’s time to really start looking. The only ones I’m really haven’t liked so far are the new GMC, the front seats were terrible in the one I drove.

Apart from gas mileage any other complaints on the tundras? It’s not really something I care about. I’d probably stick with the V8, not real keen on buying a new motor the first year it’s out.

Get the crew cab. SR5. That’s what I have. Love it. It’s a great truck the room in the back is massive. Only thing close is the dodge mega cab. Seats fold up and you can stack more than enough gear or suitcases for a month of travels. Throw a gator fx hard folding bed cover on and you’re set for sure! Just don’t go down dusty roads with stuff in the bed that you don’t want dust on. It collects inside the bed. Otherwise, very minimal water gets in and your stuff is covered and locked for road trips. I get 15 mpg on the highway at 74 mph cruise and that’s with a 3” suspension lift in the front and 1” shackle in rear running 18” kmc wheels and 33” bfg ko2’s. They are not 12” wide though. Those will hit the mpg harder. Was getting 19-20 without the lift and tires at 67 mph on cruise. 16.5 -17 of I lay off the gas pedal more with current setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topher89

WKR
I went from an 02 tundra with an access cab to a 21 tundra crew max. Huge step up in terms of space and size. Gas mileage the same.

Huge upgrade and I highly recommend it.

I just traded a 2020 chevy silverado ltz in on a '16 Tundra SR5. The chevy was my 2nd one since June of '20; neither of them made it 1,000 miles with out a major problem TCM, ECM, ABS, you name it. The Tundra actually has a little more room in the Crewman, and more importantly....it runs. 170 days total in the shop at my Chevy dealer made choosing a Tundra easy.
Edit: I almost forgot, the 2nd Chevy (a 6.2) drank a quart of oil every 1,000 miles.

2 Carseats fit fine in my 2007 Tundra (6.5' bed with the Crew Cab) Love this truck so much...300k miles on it, no body rust (which is rare in Wisconsin) and the Decked storage system for construction/hunting/camping/fishing is a cherry on top.

I have a 2014 double cab with a 5.7 liter, SR5 with TRD & tow package, so far it has been a great truck. I have had 3 above average sized guys in the back with no problem, I wanted the 6.5' bed so I opted for the DC. As others have mentioned it uses a decent amount of gas, mine has the 26 gallon gas tank which blows - even more so Toyota calibrated the gas gauge to show empty after only 20 gallons have been used. Something about the fuel pump needs to stay wet or it will burn up.

There are some things people don't like with this vintage like the headlights aren't very bright. I upgraded to the 2018/2019 lights which are much better. I also installed heated, leather seats in mine instead of buying a new truck. I live in a cold climate and those upgrades have been great. I have seen numerous people (on a forum) get 1 million miles or more out of their Tundra's. They are reliable and hold their resale value. My generation may be a bit outdated, but I feel the flaws it has are minimal compared to the strengths it has!

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I upgraded from Tacoma to Tundra and I love this truck. Does she drink a little more than the rams or the fords or the whatever? Sure, but while you might pay more upfront for gas, you're driving a truck that is WAY more reliable in my opinion. So, in the end, you are saving money not having to be in the mechanic's shop.

Much more roomy than a Tacoma. I think the double cab is fine for car seats, it has a ton of space back there and the 6.5-foot bed is awesome. But go to some dealerships and look for yourself.

Don't be scared of the markups. There are plenty of places selling close to MSRP, might have to travel a bit more. But hey, it's a road trip. Now you might have to pay a little more because of the "dealer add-ons" but it is what it is.

Interior outdated? GOOD! I don't want more electronic crap to fail inside my truck. That's just my opinion though, some people want the inside of their truck looking like a gamer lair with 20 screens and more buttons than the cockpit of a Boeing 757. I can put an Ipad in a mount when I need my ONX.

The downside from Tacoma to Tundra in my opinion is, the wheel base felt better for mud and snow. Tundra still does great, just have to put her in 4 wheel more often. Also she is bigger so for those smaller trails it can get claustrophobic and be ready for lots of pinstriping.

In the end there will be fan boys for every brand. You need to do your research and find out what it is that you want so that you can make an educated decision.

PS. TOYOTA > OTHER "TRUCKS".....