Toyota Tundra question

zacattack

WKR
Question for Toyota Tundra owners. I’m thinking of upsizing from my current Tacoma which I really like, but I’ve got two boys that are currently in giant ass car seats. Pretty much eliminates my truck as an option to travel anywhere. So my question is, how does the current generation of tundra stack up against other full sized trucks, and are the trim levels comparative to the Tacoma? I have an SR5 which has everything I need.

KurtR

WKR
My kid is out of car seats but is 6’8” and has plenty of room. This is in a 14 don’t know about the next generation coming out this year

I had a double cab when the kids were younger and thought the back seat was plenty and the 6.5’ bed was nice especially since we had a cab over camper at the time. The crew cab definitely has more leg room which can be good, but not really an issue since they’re in car seats and for me wasn’t worth the shorter bed for my purposes. Now my kids all drive so I went to a Tacoma since it’s significantly easier to wheel on some of the tighter stuff I end up on, I do miss having all that bed space though.

RS3579

WKR
Sounds like I’m in the same kid situation as you. I have a crew cab 2017 tundra and the rear seat is a lot bigger than the Tacoma. I had my old Tacoma frame replaced and they gave me a Tacoma crew cab as a loaner. The 1st thing I said when I saw the rear seat is this won’t work for kids car seats. My wife can sit comfortably between the 2 car seats. Everyone that gets in rear seat ms comments about the space available. We’re very happy with the tundra. Pm me and I can give you a call if you need more questions answered. Good luck in your search.

JFK

WKR
I have a 2017 Tundra double cab. Have one kid in a car seat. It works fine and to me the larger bed was a must have. I’m 6’3” and sat in the back seat when I was looking to buy it. Definitely not spacious like the crew cab but gets the job done.

As far as trim goes…Toyota is not the nicest. I test drove Ford, Chevy and Dodge when I was looking in 2017 and all were nicer than the Toyota. If you are coming from a Tacoma sr5 you’ll be happy with the interior of the Tundra. Toyotas don’t break as much too, if you’re into that sorta thing.

ODB

WKR
I have a 2021 TRD off-Road Crew Cab. It’s a massive back seat compared to my 2002 Tundra and even my wife’s 2012 Highlander. I got it specifically for comfort on longer trips where I needed a truck. No, it’s not the lap of luxury, but I honestly don’t really care about too much fluff.

I’ll drive this one till it explodes or we are consumed by the sun. My only purchase after this will be a proper Series 70 LC.

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
I run a 2008 Tundra and don't know how much has changed since the early years of the full size design but we drive from Colorado to Texas and make several road trips a year from CO to KS with 4 occasionally 5 family/hunting buddies all between 5'7" and 5'2" and really don't find the back seat too cramped. I'm not sure I would want to drive across the country though. I love the truck and will keep up the maintenance to keep it going....as I think it will be "cheaper to keep her" right now as opposed to upgrading to new...at least until my kids are out of school.

GLB

WKR
I have a 2018 Tundra crew cab and it has lots of room. Large car seats would not be a problem.

big44a4

WKR
I went from tundra double cab to the crew max for car seats when I had kids. Not looking back. On my 2nd crew max so far. I’ll look at the new ones in a few years when they take off the 8k “market adjustment.” I got a 2020 right now so not in need until work forces my hand. If you go brand new you can order a 6.5’ bed with the crew max starting with the 2022 models. They switched dot V6 turbo so should get 20mpg combined where I get 14.5mpg now.

Firestone

WKR
2015 double cab. Crew definatly has more interior room but I sleep in the back a lot and needed the bed space. The crew cab only comes in a short box. Sr5 is plenty luxurious for me. My only complaint is how much it squats hooked up to a trailer, I think I am gonna get airbags or maybe add a leaf spring.

Firestone

WKR
I went from tundra double cab to the crew max for car seats when I had kids. Not looking back. On my 2nd crew max so far. I’ll look at the new ones in a few years when they take off the 8k “market adjustment.” I got a 2020 right now so not in need until work forces my hand. If you go brand new you can order a 6.5’ bed with the crew max starting with the 2022 models. They switched dot V6 turbo so should get 20mpg combined where I get 14.5mpg now.
A 6.5' crew max would be freaking awesome

Tmac

WKR
The Crew Max with the 5.7 V-8 has lots of room, plenty of power, lacks some of the tech/interior stuff vs domestics, a little less payload than most domestics, and is hard on gas. If you keep it stock and drive responsibly, mileage is OK, upsize the tires/lift it/hammer the skinny pedal, mileage drops a bunch.

So I’d look for a 2016-2021 SR5 or above to get the 38 gallon tank. If you tow a bunch, stick to 16-18 with the tow package because they have the tranny cooler, vs the warming/cooling puck on later models with the tow package.

They tend to be extremely reliable. The newest model, 2022 has the TTV6 and gets better mileage, has a little more payload and power, but a little less interior room. If you are used to a Tacoma SR5, you should love a late model Tundra. Mine has been bullet proof, 2019 SR5 TRD Off-road with 37k so far.

Jbehredt

WKR
Tundra double cab (extended cab) rear seat fits like a Tacoma double cab (crew cab). If you’re needing more room you’ll have to go crew max in the tundra. Unless your Tacoma is an access cab….

Titan

WKR
I don't think they did enough with this new model. While they did make some major changes, they basically just caught up to the other major manufacturer's current models. Those manufacturers already have better stuff in the works (like the new GM trucks). The exception being Nissan, they are still playing catch up as well.

You are pretty much looking at MSRP on a truck right now. I would take your budget and go compare what you get for your money with every full size truck.

12wander

FNG
I’m a former Tacoma owner two times over. Wife drives a 4Runner and will tell you that Tundra is way behind in gas mileage for trucks from the big three and with prices today and where they are speculated to go it’s worth considering when looking at trucks.
I’m getting better gas mileage with my king cab and 6’ box, level kit and 295 tires than I got with my Tacoma. It’s a shame that Toyota is dropping the ball.

big44a4

WKR
I don't think they did enough with this new model. While they did make some major changes, they basically just caught up to the other major manufacturer's current models. Those manufacturers already have better stuff in the works (like the new GM trucks). The exception being Nissan, they are still playing catch up as well.

You are pretty much looking at MSRP on a truck right now. I would take your budget and go compare what you get for your money with every full size truck.

MSRP + “market adjustment” tundras all carrying 8k plus adjustment here in south texas. Checkout the ford bronco with a 30k “market adjustment” 66169909770__B771F5CD-B633-4221-8D1E-7FF21021A4D6.jpg

Titan

WKR
My favorite part is that dealers will tell you they don't have a markup, then you look at the paperwork and see the extra added. They will say its not a "markup" its a "market adjustment".

There is always the one sucker who has to be the first one with the vehicle. They will pay ridiculous markups. Then they start lowering to $6-8k, then $3-4k, then back to MSRP. You can usually pit a couple dealers against each other and get the markup removed in most cases when the vehicles start rolling in.

You can order a C8 Corvette for MSRP from certain dealers, but here locally there is one charging $30k+ markup and people buy it. They can't wait for their special order to be built.