Tough Pill to Swallow

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
All of your guns are beautiful lol
That’s courtesy of my gunsmith @barehandlineman

I’d take them looking like dogshit, but he won’t let them leave the shop without looking titties haha.

Do you have a 223 yet?

May as well get a 6.5 creed barrel coming too so you can shoot nrl hunter.
For some reason I just haven’t had the interest in the shooting competitions. I just attribute it to hunting too much as it is and I would just subconsciously feel bad doing more stuff when hunting season is over. My wife gets 8 months of honey dues and family anything. And I disappear for 4 months to try and kill something pretty much hahaha.

Lawnboi

WKR
That’s courtesy of my gunsmith @barehandlineman

I’d take them looking like dogshit, but he won’t let them leave the shop without looking titties haha.

For some reason I just haven’t had the interest in the shooting competitions. I just attribute it to hunting too much as it is and I would just subconsciously feel bad doing more stuff when hunting season is over. My wife gets 8 months of honey dues and family anything. And I disappear for 4 months to try and kill something pretty much hahaha.
I hear you. Look at it as a range day you’re probably already doing. I don’t travel all over or spend weekends away, a local one day match here and there will teach you a lot about shooting. Nothing like shooting under pressure, under someone else’s rules.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I hear you. Look at it as a range day you’re probably already doing. I don’t travel all over or spend weekends away, a local one day match here and there will teach you a lot about shooting. Nothing like shooting under pressure, under someone else’s rules.
Excellent way to view it! It’s not like I need to do every single one and chase em all over the country.

I’ll look for some local ones. Always nice to have a little goal or something to prepare for
also.

Excellent way to view it! It’s not like I need to do every single one and chase em all over the country.

I’ll look for some local ones. Always nice to have a little goal or something to prepare for
also.
I’d like to do a hunter match here and there. I don’t shoot very many archery shoots but they make a big difference in my confidence in the field.

Harvey_NW

WKR
You keep saying that. Do I have to do it for you? You know I’ll hit submit 🤣
Too many damn house projects now :rolleyes:. I'm gonna send the 284 and 6.5 off to be chopped down to the flutes and have the 6.5 throated out while it's there so I can fill a case with 565 and see if it makes magic. I might just have the 25 Creed punched out to a x284 since I have 100 new pcs of Peterson 284 brass sitting in a box at home.. :unsure:

Too many damn house projects now :rolleyes:. I'm gonna send the 284 and 6.5 off to be chopped down to the flutes and have the 6.5 throated out while it's there so I can fill a case with 565 and see if it makes magic. I might just have the 25 Creed punched out to a x284 since I have 100 new pcs of Peterson 284 brass sitting in a box at home.. :unsure:
Punching out your best shooting rifle seems like a sin lol

also.
I was signed up for a local PRS “Hunter” match last weekend here in Alaska. When I saw their FB page and pics of them setting up the match, which included dragging a f’n porta potty onto the firing line as one of the shooting props, I declined 🙄. The following day at the same 1,000 yard range I had it all to myself for 3 hours and had a far more productive day of positional shooting. Make sure you sign up for something worth doing.

I was signed up for a local PRS “Hunter” match last weekend here in Alaska. When I saw their FB page and pics of them setting up the match, which included dragging a f’n porta potty onto the firing line as one of the shooting props, I declined 🙄. The following day at the same 1,000 yard range I had it all to myself for 3 hours and had a far more productive day of positional shooting. Make sure you sign up for something worth doing.
Porta potty stage 😂

A better hunting scenario would be… pants down squatting, gotta grab your rifle leaning up against the tree and not fall over, then offhand/squatting shot. Or pants around the ankles off hand.

khuber84

WKR
Have you found lapua Wsm brass? They announced it, as well as 6gt, but it's unobtainable. They can't keep 6br on the shelves, now they've added production sku's. Gonna take a bit to get anything from Lapua it sounds.
PBB has a .25-300 WSM reamer and lapua makes .300 WSM brass…

I get the shrinkage thing. I burned out my 300 Norma Imp barrel 3.5 years ago, started killing with the 65saum, then 25 and 6creed, have a 25prc now too. My new 300nmi barrel is done and screwed onto the bat. I remember the recoil and am truly reluctant of throwing that 87gr H1000 and 215 load into it as I don't feel the punishment is necessary anymore! I will not argue that the big 30s and 338s are ballistic beasts, and cannot be defeated in wind drift scenarios. They can and eventually will find the chinks in your shooting technique, and exploit your weak points. I love shooting my 338 rum, and I know it's a 10-11mph gun number in the mountains, but I know that day in day out, I'll always shoot my creed cases better, even better yet the br and gt based cartridges we use in competition.

Last edited:

TX_Diver

WKR
Do the bigger guns still beat the hotrodded 6s like the 6PRC/6UM at distance?

I currently am not planning any really long range hunting but the faster .243s (and even 22s) interest me a bit in the interest of having a higher wind #...
Have you found lapua Wsm brass? They announced it, as well as 6gt, but it's unobtainable. They can't keep 6br on the shelves, now they've added production sku's. Gonna take a bit to get anything from Lapua it sounds.

I get the shrinkage thing. I burned out my 300 Norma Imp barrel 3.5 years ago, started killing with the 65saum, then 25 and 6creed, have a 25prc now too. My new 300nmi barrel is done and screwed onto the bat. I remember the recoil and am truly reluctant of throwing that 87gr H1000 and 215 load into it as I don't feel the punishment is necessary anymore! I will not argue that the big 30s and 338s are ballistic beasts, and cannot be defeated in wind drift scenarios. They can and eventually will find the chinks in your shooting technique, and exploit your weak points. I love shooting my 338 rum, and I know it's a 10-11mph gun number in the mountains, but I know that day in day out, I'll always shoot my creed cases better, even better yet the br and gt based cartridges we use in competition.

khuber84

WKR
Do the bigger guns still beat the hotrodded 6s like the 6PRC/6UM at distance?

I currently am not planning any really long range hunting but the faster .243s (and even 22s) interest me a bit in the interest of having a higher wind #...
Yeah, you push 215/230 gr 30 cals around 3100, and 300 Bergers 2900+ they still out wind a 115 dtac at 3300. You're talking a 315g7 VS 350-400g7 bullets.

The 6mm will still have less drop, but the big bullets will hold a SLIGHT wind advantage. Enough to warrant the extra recoil? Def not! I mean a 215 Berger at 3130(where I ran my last barrel) has 2x more energy at 1k yards than a 115 dtac at 3350fps. We all know energy don't mean shit, but I think that big bullet buys you a lil forgiveness on kill zone. Bullets can catch edge of vital and do a lil more damage. I've made a few poor shots in my day on long range elk due to not reading wind very well, or it was in switching winds. I was pretty ignorant to terrain affecting wind back then. But elk died from who knows what was damaged, a spleen, kidney idk, but these where hit pretty damn far back. I don't think a 6mm anything would have done that at 800y, but maybe it would!

I try not to make shit shots anymore, or at least eliminate as many variables I can, or reduce distance.