If you never shot over 600 yards?

Sadler

WKR
The farthest I’ve ever shot an animal is 500 yards. And that was with a 223 with 77s. If I only had one gun to stretch it out to 600, I’d want to use my 223AI pushing the 88s. Fun gun to shoot and from what I’ve seen that little 88 is vicious. But since I suck at calling wind and 600 yards is in the mix, I’d probably go with my 6 creed and 109s.

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot 4 elk at 600-700, All with the 7 rem.
Missed a good speed goat last year at 870 with the 22 creed.
I had a 6um spun up this year to be the do all.
Of all the elk I’ve personally shot (20ish), average distance has been around 300 yards.

FLS

WKR
25-06. I’ve got a really good one a friend built for me and I’ve been killing stuff with a quarter bore for a couple of decades now. It’s not the new hotness, but it has worked really well for me. A close second would be a 308. Boringly effective.

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
25-06. I’ve got a really good one a friend built for me and I’ve been killing stuff with a quarter bore for a couple of decades now. It’s not the new hotness, but it has worked really well for me. A close second would be a 308. Boringly effective.
Love the 25-06 and 270 for speed. The only downfall I have seen with the 25-06 was in a shooting competition my friend was having a hard time with 15-20 mph winds. The light bullets just wanted to move around more than a heavier 7mm.

Love the 25-06 and 270 for speed. The only downfall I have seen with the 25-06 was in a shooting competition my friend was having a hard time with 15-20 mph winds. The light bullets just wanted to move around more than a heavier 7mm.
This is an issue with most factory .25-06 rifles and ammo. However, with a fast twist barrel and chamber throated appropriately, the 130 class .257 bullets have BCs in the 6s and buck wind well.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Maybe a good question for this group - same vain as the original question - lots of 6 CM recs for hunting w/108s or 109s. OP was looking at magnums, and I like the idea of a high speed 6 like the 6.5 PRC necked down. But also reading lots of guys trying 6 ARC in bolt guns rather than CMs. I think if picking a 6 for hunting, the extra speed is a nice to have, but there's the recoil pentalty.

This isn't as much as a "versus" question as much as it is a hunting application question....obvoiusly less recoil = easier to shoot, and we're talking the same projectiles, but I feel like when we're talking in that 400-600 range, the 6 CM is likely a better application. Seems like there's a lot of comfort with having more speed in this 6mm for hunting choice.......so is there consensus around where the floor is? Since we're talking mostly match bullets and < 600 yards here, what's the appropriate "floor" on MV? Or put another way, what's everyone targeting for Vel @ 600 with these eldms? 1800 fps?

Maybe a good question for this group - same vain as the original question - lots of 6 CM recs for hunting w/108s or 109s. OP was looking at magnums, and I like the idea of a high speed 6 like the 6.5 PRC necked down. But also reading lots of guys trying 6 ARC in bolt guns rather than CMs. I think if picking a 6 for hunting, the extra speed is a nice to have, but there's the recoil pentalty.

This isn't as much as a "versus" question as much as it is a hunting application question....obvoiusly less recoil = easier to shoot, and we're talking the same projectiles, but I feel like when we're talking in that 400-600 range, the 6 CM is likely a better application. Seems like there's a lot of comfort with having more speed in this 6mm for hunting choice.......so is there consensus around where the floor is? Since we're talking mostly match bullets and < 600 yards here, what's the appropriate "floor" on MV? Or put another way, what's everyone targeting for Vel @ 600 with these eldms? 1800 fps?
I also agree that a 6 CM firing 108’s out to 600 yards is more optimal than a 6 PRC. Even a short barrel is going to be sending them at like 2,200 fps at 600 yards. A 6 PRC is unnecessary at those ranges and you just lose shooting ability and spotting shots, compared to the light recoiling 6 CM.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I also agree that a 6 CM firing 108’s out to 600 yards is more optimal than a 6 PRC. Even a short barrel is going to be sending them at like 2,200 fps at 600 yards. A 6 PRC is unnecessary at those ranges and you just lose shooting ability and spotting shots, compared to the light recoiling 6 CM.
Totally valid points! And more barrel life and cheaper practice. Honestly much more realistic than 6 PRC for 600 yards and in. But nothing I have is realistic 😅😅

S-3 ranch

WKR
My buddy has a 6CM that seems pretty good, only problem is he like most other people can’t hit **** when not on a bench @ <350
Real world conditions don’t equal a creative imagination on hunting for big game

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
It would depend on the area, here where the wind isn’t too crazy the 223 serves that purpose just fine. If it were a more open terrain with higher wind I would go 22cm, if 22cal wasn’t allowed I would step it up to the 6cm. I just have no desire to shooter larger cartridges especially if the shooting will be sub 600yds.

WCB

WKR
If you like the 7mm-08 check out the 7SAW2. Basically a 7-08 improved. That way you can chop the barrel, run a suppressor, and still have adequate velocity at 600+. Those 160-170 7mm bullets are impressive ballistically and on game, and the whole package is pleasant to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably would but don't reload and have zero desire to do so...as of right now multiple kills with the 7mm-08 out to 500ish with 140gr Fed Trophy Bonded Tips and have no negatives on it or reason to change.