TMK vs. Eld-M vs. Berger Elite Hunter terminal ballistics

OP
B
I have had mixed feeling about the Berger elite hunters (108 from a 6creed in my case) I took a larger buck at 535 yards and the bullet performed very well. 2nd buck was at 505 and the bullet passed clean through like a pencil and the buck ran 100+ yards. A Montana doe I took with it was DRT at 195. The last deer I shot with that rifle was 140 yards and again the bullet penciled through and after the initial impact knocked the buck over he ran 2-300 yards. There were all behind the shoulder lung/heart shots where the old 6 Remington I grew up on running sierra 100 btsp never failed. Debating switching bullets due to the 50/50 performance of the Bergers in 6mm specifically.
We're these elite hunters? Or were they hybrid targets? I believe you just asking clarification.

TxLite

WKR
I have had mixed feeling about the Berger elite hunters (108 from a 6creed in my case) I took a larger buck at 535 yards and the bullet performed very well. 2nd buck was at 505 and the bullet passed clean through like a pencil and the buck ran 100+ yards. A Montana doe I took with it was DRT at 195. The last deer I shot with that rifle was 140 yards and again the bullet penciled through and after the initial impact knocked the buck over he ran 2-300 yards. There were all behind the shoulder lung/heart shots where the old 6 Remington I grew up on running sierra 100 btsp never failed. Debating switching bullets due to the 50/50 performance of the Bergers in 6mm specifically.
Did you check the tips to see if they were clogged?

eoperator

WKR
I have had mixed feeling about the Berger elite hunters (108 from a 6creed in my case)

I am questioning the 108 eh myself, I saw 3 deer taken 250-425yrd with 6cm 108eh this fall. All of them died so there is that, but all 3 were through the ribs 1drt and 2 traveled ~50yrds with no exit and zero blood trail from any of them. They shoot amazingly well but I believe my quest for "the bullet" continues. I want it all, wide wound channel and 2 drain holes.

Lemhi

FNG
Did you check the tips to see if they were clogged?
No I just loaded them and expected to work. I typically shoot Berger because they are by far the most accurate and I feel confident in bullet placement with them. Again I’ve had great success in larger calibers but in 6mm specifically I feel like the elite hunters are lacking. They will shoot .25-.3” in my rifle which I love but the performance on game has thus far been inconsistent as compared to traditional hunting bullets.

Lemhi

FNG
Exactly where I am with them. They shoot amazing and bullet placement is a non issue but performance has been less than expected. Everything died for sure but not as instantaneously as other bullets. That said I don’t think I’d have made several of the shots I took with traditional hunting bullets. I had maybe 15 seconds to range and dial that 505 buck it happened very quickly and my dad mentioned if I had told the story he wouldn’t have believed I made that shot. I was glad he was by my side to witness the “why” as it pertains to load development with consistent velocity and scopes that you can dial. He never would have taken or made that shot and he was shocked when we hiked across the canyon (smoke break along the way for him) and the buck was dead double lunggeg and through the heart. My issue was with the lack of expansion. I had a 6mm entrance and a ~1/2” exit hole and when gutted the deer the bullet clearly hit both lungs and the heart.. just my limited experience though. I could be wrong.

Lemhi

FNG
Load data all the same?
Yes. ADG brass, 40.3 grains of h4350 loaded 2.81” to accommodate my ADL build’s internal mag. These leave the muzzle of my 20” barrel at 2925fps. I pushed them to 3050 but they were not as consistent. Both bullets showed fantastic accuracy.

TxLite

WKR
No I just loaded them and expected to work. I typically shoot Berger because they are by far the most accurate and I feel confident in bullet placement with them. Again I’ve had great success in larger calibers but in 6mm specifically I feel like the elite hunters are lacking. They will shoot .25-.3” in my rifle which I love but the performance on game has thus far been inconsistent as compared to traditional hunting bullets.
I don’t claim to be a Berger expert, but based on recommendations from people that are, I usually check the tips with a small drill bit to make sure they aren’t clogged. Doing this, I’ve had no failures from the Bergers. I’ve also heard a paper clip works (assuming it fits into the tip on the 6mm’s). Any of the tips that are clogged are reserved for paper.

You might give it a shot and see if it helps

Edit- come to think of it I did have one fail on a water jug but it was before I started checking tips. 140gr .284 vldh out of a 7mm-08.

Last edited:

Lemhi

FNG
I don’t claim to be a Berger expert, but based on recommendations from people that are, I usually check the tips with a small drill bit to make sure they aren’t clogged. Doing this, I’ve had no failures from the Bergers. I’ve also heard a paper clip works (assuming it fits into the tip on the 6mm’s). Any of the tips that are clogged are reserved for paper.

You might give it a shot and see if it helps
I could yes but I probably won’t. I’m a 6mm nerd I shoot 6mm rem, 243, 6creed, 6-GT, 6PRC. In my limited experience the Bergers as shipped just don’t perform like I expected when’ other bullets have. Again this is strictly 6mm related as the Bergers in 7mm and 30 cal have been flawless for me.

eoperator

WKR
We’ve killed probably 25 mule deer/whitetail/blacktail deer with my 6 creed and 108 elite hunters. Every single one was dead within 60 yards max. They all expanded well and did the same thing every single time. I really cannot ask for anything better.

What percentage had an exit hole?

bradb

WKR
Shot a solid buck a week ago that we knew was at least 7.5. Big deer, no rack change b in the last 4 years. But a new 6 prc, 300 yards, quartering away, 108 eh made a mess of the lungs, no exit

I could yes but I probably won’t. I’m a 6mm nerd I shoot 6mm rem, 243, 6creed, 6-GT, 6PRC. In my limited experience the Bergers as shipped just don’t perform like I expected when’ other bullets have. Again this is strictly 6mm related as the Bergers in 7mm and 30 cal have been flawless for me.
Sounds like you’ve already given up on the Berger’s with a small sample size but once you have mentally wrote something off as a failure it’s very hard (almost impossible) to overcome.

I’d look at the ELD-M 108s or 103 ELD-X if I were in your shoes.