Tipping a hunting guide

MtGomer

WKR
Noone, it's just the number of posts you read about guides 'losing money' while they guide and how tipping is a reflection on the client (mentioned above). The whole tipping mentality is ridiculous...........I paid the outfitter for a hunting trip or fishing trip, they should pay their employees..............
I’m assuming you’re up front with the outfitter and the guides about this right?

Guys I'm not gonna lie but I didn't even know tipping a guide was a thing. I've only went on 3 ”guided" hunts in my life. Only 1 where a guide was actually hunting with me and never thought to tip the guy. He probably thinks I'm a total jerk. To be fair he was a pretty terrible guide IMO. But still before reading this I could have gone on the best sheep hunt and had the most amazing guide and wouldn't have tipped him a penny. Always assumed they were making a very large portion of the cost of the hunt. None of the hunts I've ever been on have really publicized an expectation to tip a guide

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JoeDirt

WKR
Ive never been on a guided hunting trip. I have been on fishing charters, one charter we visit a few times a year. The ocean going boat ride is a $120 per person, (we take a party) I will tip $20. For $140 total we get our limit of fish, large Dungeness crab all cleaned, filleted and on ice. They bust their asses though. Market price for the crab is more than $140 !!!

Ohh and we also give the deck hand a break and pull some pots.

Noone, it's just the number of posts you read about guides 'losing money' while they guide and how tipping is a reflection on the client (mentioned above). The whole tipping mentality is ridiculous...........I paid the outfitter for a hunting trip or fishing trip, they should pay their employees..............
Outfitters do pay their employees, with the expectation that the client tips their guides according to the services provided. If a hunt is too expensive, and you feel that the tip would be exorbitant, don't go. The tip is part of the incentive for guides to do all they can to ensure that you have a good time and fantastic hunt. Now you know... no more excuses for you not tipping!

Just because you don't like the system, doesn't mean the system isn't in place. Welcome to America!

tntrker

WKR
On a hunt of mine, the other hunters tagged out on day 1 with smaller animals. I was prepared to leave (at least) a 10% tip. When an extra guide stepped in a few days, I was stuck on what to do, either give both some (which would be shorting one guide) or cash for main guide and gift for other. Cash went to main guide and I offered the other guide a Sitka garment. He wound up wanting a Kelvin Lite Hoody so I gave him my new one. I felt bad because cash is king but it was what I could do. Turns out, his next hunt took him after a goat in some pretty nasty weather. He said "worst hunt he had ever done and the Hoody saved my life". Felt better knowing that..

MtGomer

WKR
if the outfitter is upfront about expectations on tipping.....sure.

It is an industry standard, and you know it, and the outfitter knows that you know it.

I have only been on two guided excursions in my life, plus I’ve worked as help for one, once.

One was just a fishing trip off the coast of Costa Rica, and the other was a 12 day horse hunt, plus a day ride in/out, in Canada for sheep and Caribou. After both especially the latter, after seeing the staff work 14 to 24 hours a day( it doesn’t get dark), in the case of the Canada hunt, for 14 days in a row, I would have been a real POS to stiff a guide, wrangler, cook and Pilot because I think that the outfitter should charge more up front so he can pay the staff better. It’s not that you may not be right, maybe it should operate that way, but it doesn’t and the way to show your discontent with the standards of the system isn’t to piss on the 18 year old girl that’s cooking your breakfast before you get up, and washing your dishes after you’ve gone to bed. She probably isn’t taking paid vacation from her 6 figure job

I would actually prefer to see it your way, be told “I pay my guides $XX a day, and that is why you’ll see my prices are higher than my competition. You don’t need to tip here.” If those outfits exist, and they may, I am unaware of them.

Maybe restaurants should pay more, but I wouldn’t take my wife out to a $400 fine dining establishment for our anniversary and then leave a $0 tip to show my disagreement.

Last edited:
OP
RichP

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I am definitely going to tip. That is how I am. Would you tip with American or Canadian $$$
Going to Newfoundland
Leaving tomorrow

I’ve right at 20 years experience guiding, started while I was still working by burning vacation time, retired early guide full time now.
10% is a great tip.
Gifts can be a great tip, they can be very important. You hear “ I gotta get a good knife when I get out of here” even the FBI would call that a clue. He starts to shake when looking through your high end glass; yep, that’s a clue.
I firmly believe your tip should reflect the effort as much or more than the result. The guide can’t do anything about Mother Nature interfering with your trip. If he or she busts their butt trying to make it a success they deserve a good tip.
Trips are getting expensive, the margins are slimmer than you might think, regardless, the outfitters benefit from the margins just like any other business. The guides are probably making a little better than minimum wage.

tntrker

WKR
I am definitely going to tip. That is how I am. Would you tip with American or Canadian $$$
Going to Newfoundland
Leaving tomorrow
Good luck and follow up your hunt on here. I'm assuming American cash for tip as it's worth more and that's how they wanted pay for the hunt. But I've read take Canadian for processing though as the price is set in Canadian and it will be the same in Dollar, which means you paid more....

MtGomer

WKR
Going to Newfoundland
Leaving tomorrow

When I was in Canada, USD was fine for tips, preferred according to the one person I asked(exchange rate), but that is the other end of the country. May be different for you.

Wapiti1

WKR
Going to Newfoundland
Leaving tomorrow

Either currency will work. They can easily exchange US there, so no issues. Some may prefer US and wait for the exchange rates to go in their favor.

How much is completely and totally up to you. 10% isn't a rule, it's a guideline. I know quite a few guides and none expect a tip. All put forth the same effort regardless of what they think you will tip. They certainly appreciate a tip, but they also know many clients are stretched just to do the hunt. So any amount given to them is appreciated.

They will put forth the most effort for you if you are really in the game with them. Be positive, be willing to work hard, and above all have fun. Your guide will appreciate those things, and you'll have a great hunt. Tip based on their effort.

Jeremy

It seems to me, tipping your guide right involves some additional variables, not talked enough about.

For example, a 10% tip, on a grinded out five or ten day hunt vs an early success two day hunt.

I know, some will say success shouldn't affect the tip, but, if the guy earned your respect for 1-2 weeks, the 10% just seems low to me. And in the two day hunt, the 10% seems like a pretty damn good tip, for two days work.

Another example, if the guide is taking two hunters, they are tipping 10% each for a long week, do you pay more, or is that like a 20% tip?

Interested in hearing thoughts on this.

I don't mind paying higher prices for service I just wish it was included in the price. Just give me a simple break down with everything included and then I can make a decision if I can afford to hunt with you. Add in the 10% for the guide, the 3% for the cook, 3% for the packer. Just include it so I don't have to worry about how much and who it goes to. The tip thing is always a pain to figure out, Is it how hard they worked, the price of the hunt, the success of the hunt, the animal hunted.
Just add the dang thing into the final price sheet so we can make a decision to hunt or not.

WCB

WKR
It seems to me, tipping your guide right involves some additional variables, not talked enough about.

For example, a 10% tip, on a grinded out five or ten day hunt vs an early success two day hunt.

I know, some will say success shouldn't affect the tip, but, if the guy earned your respect for 1-2 weeks, the 10% just seems low to me. And in the two day hunt, the 10% seems like a pretty damn good tip, for two days work.

Another example, if the guide is taking two hunters, they are tipping 10% each for a long week, do you pay more, or is that like a 20% tip?

Interested in hearing thoughts on this.

Being a former guide myself...Tip what you feel is right. However If you don't tip I wouldn't plan on coming back for a 2nd hunt. I made $500 a week as base pay. This was 1 month of horse pack in elk hunting and 1.5 months of private land guiding deer, elk, antelope. work was typically 15-20hrs a day. I got tipped anywhere from $100 up to over $1500 for a standard 5 or 7 day hunt per hunter. I know for a fact most of my tips were well over 10% but I would like to think that was due to the job I did. Most hunts were 2 on 1 and I would say most guys tipped me separately and mostly equally. I only expected to make $500 a week and tips were up to my clients and I was treated well by my clients...I understood that going in, same as a restaurant server.

Most of the time talking tips with clients is a no no, but I had some pretty honest conversations with clients on their first hunt that didn't know the "rules" , for lack of a better term. I would tell them basic line of thinking is 10% of the hunt. But told them to tip based on their experience and how well you think I , the guide, worked for them to make the trip what they expected it to be. I would also remind them to make sure they take care of the camp cook or camp jack again based on quality of service. I took care of the client from the time they arrived to the time they left, often taking them sight seeing or fishing, borrowing them gear if needed.

The largest tip I received, the hunter filled his deer tag first morning and antelope tag the second morning,hunting a total of maybe 4 hrs. Both were really nice animals that I had scouted and patterned when both my prior clients also filled out and left early due to me also pre-scouting. Another client had a limited draw tag for Antelope, and the only tag any of our clients had for that unit. Due to my work of scouting before he arrived we killed the biggest buck I found in a week of dedicated scouting first light first morning of his hunt...My point of these two situations is to show that sometimes the work is done before clients arrive and so if you are basing your tips off duration of hunt for the sake of duration you may not be seeing the forest through the trees. I mean if a client wanted to I guess I could have took them on a scenic tour to the same destination but most of my clients were blue collar guys that saved for years for the hunt.

I have now gone on a 3 outfitted big game hunts as a client. Two of them I did not shoot an animal and tipped over 10% because of the work the guides put in and the fact that on one hunt we saw plenty of decent animals just not one I wanted.

WCB

WKR
I don't mind paying higher prices for service I just wish it was included in the price. Just give me a simple break down with everything included and then I can make a decision if I can afford to hunt with you. Add in the 10% for the guide, the 3% for the cook, 3% for the packer. Just include it so I don't have to worry about how much and who it goes to. The tip thing is always a pain to figure out, Is it how hard they worked, the price of the hunt, the success of the hunt, the animal hunted.
Just add the dang thing into the final price sheet so we can make a decision to hunt or not.

I just automatically figure it in for a base line at 10% if I'm looking at a hunt. Due to it not being a required amount that leaves the tipping up to you based on the criteria you establish based on your expectation. Makes it pretty easy to figure out yourself if you can afford it or not...add 16% if that is the number you want to use. In my opinion the cost of the hunt covers the guides base wage...tips are earned by the individual guide through effort. A bad lazy guide don't tip him... a hard working honest guide success or not...your choice at that point.

bozeman

WKR
Being a former guide myself...Tip what you feel is right. However If you don't tip I wouldn't plan on coming back for a 2nd hunt.

And there it is folks...…..don't tip, don't come back...….entitlement mentality......don't complain about society or any generation/demographic who expects 'more'...………cracks me up!

muddydogs

WKR
I agree with you but thats not the world we live in unfortunately. From food service workers to outdoor guides there daily wages are based on tips. I'm sure it's to hide the fact that the $10 burger you ate for lunch really cost you $15 or that $10,000 hunt is really going to cost you $12,000.
I just figure it in when looking at hunt prices, I know that the $10,000 hunt is really going to be about $12,000 with guide and service staff tips.
Another way to look at it is if the outfitter was really paying a living wage would we be able to afford a hunting trip. If the outfitter paid the guides $15 an hour plus overtime I would think a $10,000 hunt would probably be closer to $20,000 so in the end the client is probably getting the better end of the deal forking over another $1000 in tips.