Tipi Hot Tent Spreadsheet

I have a 6 man BPWD luna 6. We slept 4 side by side, 2 of those young kids and that was about all I wanted. Sides are 10' (Square tipi). That said We put 3 and a stove in it by sleeping around the perimeter. No room for gear though. 2 with gear with no stove (although we could have set it up) was about perfect. There isn't that much weight penalty for a slightly bigger tent.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would agree with a Redcliff being the starting point, but dang, I think everyone missed the part that with a stove it would only be 2 people. Everyone is giving recommendations for a huge shelter for 4 people with a stove, and that was never a part of the equation from the OP.

Poser

WKR
I would agree with a Redcliff being the starting point, but dang, I think everyone missed the part that with a stove it would only be 2 people. Everyone is giving recommendations for a huge shelter for 4 people with a stove, and that was never a part of the equation from the OP.

It’s also just the general default on Rokslide these days: “buy the 12 man tent because I’m cramped for one in the 8 man.” “Buy the 10,000 CI pack because you never know when you’ll need the extra capacity.”

svivian

WKR
Ok, so now just stirring the pot
Hes not stirring the pot at all just stating his opinion which i completely agree with. You stated a 4 man is not enough for two people and a stove... I completely disagree and have had three grown men, stove and gear in a cimarron.

Everyone has their own preferences... just because they don't agree with you doesn't mean they are stirring the pot or trolling.

I've been looking hard at this setup myself, except I want to be able to run the stove with 2 adults and 2 kids with some hangout room, and probably a nest for the wife and youngest. Probably using ultralight backpacking cots too. 6 man Seek or a Redcliffe seems about perfect, but I keep eyeing the 8. Weight of the midsize tents is a bit more appealing than the bigger one. Interested to see the feedback on this.

*zap*

WKR
I believe there is a huge difference between what may work for just sleeping/hunting and what will work for camping out. But, everyone should do as they see fit...no need to fight over different opinions.

For what its worth I havent gotten our redcliff yet, but my buddy brought his over a couple weeks ago and set it up so i could get a look at it before spending the money. We only have 1 kid but decided on getting the redcliff over the cimarron. Its probably a little more tent then we actually need but its nice to have some space especially if your stuck in the tent with a kid, and if your stuck in side you probably dont want you gear outside. I havent seen anyone talk about how they got a redcliff and thought it was too big. The only reason i considered a cimarron in the first place was its a little smaller so could be easier to find a spot to set it up but in the end decided the redcliff would be the better bet even if it ment taking a little longer to find a spot to set it up, or removing some debris to set it up. When considering which tent to buy i also compared it to buying a boat. No matter what boat you buy after a couple years you want one thats 2' bigger, sure you dont need a bigger boat but its nice to have a little more space for things. I am hoping with a family of 3 i wont ever get a feeling i need a bigger tipi then the redcliff. When i take it out hunting there shouldnt be any issue getting 3 guys gear and a stove in that thing.

Read1t48

WKR
I’d recommend an 8 man tipi.
OP: I’ve done exactly what you describe. 8 man or bigger is the way to go for the type of camping you do. The extra weight will be worth it for the comfortability.