Tipi Hot Tent Spreadsheet

Looking at purchasing a hot tent/tipi this year. I'm planning on a four person tipi so I can sleep my family of four in there in nice weather and run a stove and two people in colder weather. Leaning towards a Seek Cimarron with a Seek stove. Judging from the number of thread's I've read on this topic I know I'm not the first. Did anyone create a spreadsheet with tent/stove weights and prices I can cheat off of?

I'd like to go as light as possible on both tent and stove since (especially with my family) I'll be responsible for packing most of the weight.

Thanks! And happy to hear any advice from anyone who has gone through this process before too.

You’re going to be very disappointed/frustrated with four in cimmaron. A good rule of thumb when using a stove is to size up +2 for what you’re trying to accomplish. For example: for four people, I would look at a 6-man, for six I would look at an 8 man, etc.

Poser

WKR
You’re going to be very disappointed/frustrated with four in cimmaron. A good rule of thumb when using a stove is to size up +2 for what you’re trying to accomplish. For example: for four people, I would look at a 6-man, for six I would look at an 8 man, etc.

He said family of 4 for nice weather, implying he won’t be using the stove. I think the Cimarron (without stove) is perfectly fine for a family of 4 who aren’t obese and are comfortable being close.

4 in a cimmaron is doable but not great. Bring contractor bags because you will have to store all gear/packs outside. If it's raining outside and you just want to chill out and play cards or eat breakfast, it will be tight for all 4 to just be sitting in there.

I have a cimmaron and no experience with a 6 person, but I'd take a look at what you gain for dimensions compared to weight and maybe go that route with 4 people. Even with 2 people and stove, we usually bring contractor bags or a tarp to store most of our gear outside.

He said family of 4 for nice weather, implying he won’t be using the stove. I think the Cimarron (without stove) is perfectly fine for a family of 4 who aren’t obese and are comfortable being close.
To each his own. I was considering the same exact shelter for the same exact purpose a few years ago, and after being able to set up and lay in a cimarron my wife and I both agreed four (of any size humans) in a cim would be unnecessarily tight, save for emergency situations.

Fine? Sure. Are there shelters better suited for the job? Yes.

svivian

WKR
Is the shelter for sleeping or hanging out? if you are planning to use it for sleeping then the cimmaron would be fine. If you are planning to hangout in it go for a redcliffe.

OP
M
Shelter would be for sleeping. I can see the value with kids to having the bigger shelter. Does it change anyone's input in the fact that I have young kids. Both girls, and oldest is 5. So I've got some years before I have 2 adults and two teenagers/ "full size humans."

Assuming I'd run the same stove in both tents, I'm looking at a 1lb 4oz penalty to go to the Redcliff.

I'll also have to compare the sizing footprints with Argali's new 4 person.

bmart2622

WKR
Minimum, you have to think about having room for gear, room to eat, room to sit out bad weather....space gets eaten up fast

*zap*

WKR
I am 6' and in my 4 man there is one place I can stand up.....right next to the pole, that is it. Wood stove, wood, one sleeping pad, a place to sit to cook/eat and put my cook stove, a 20# dog and there is really not lots of room left over in the 4 man. 2 adults is doable but to have any room to hang out you cannot leave the pads out unless your going to sit on them and I put my pad/bag where no embers can get on it...so I like a spot clear in front of the stove to sit. If I want to hike light and am not going to hang out inside very much at all then the lbo/vest is fine for me. When you start wanting to spend time inside other than sleeping is when you need room. For me and the dog the ti-goat 7.5 is really nice and roomy....which is basically a 6 man tipi. I could see three people and gear barely fitting in there with a wood stove/wood for hanging out, sleeping 3 would be no problem. This is jmo and ymmv....

Last edited:

Superdoo

WKR
My 16.5' bell tent is going to great for our family of four. The kids are 7 and 5.