Tikka T3 Super Lite 7mm Rem Mag Mountain Rifle

Rob5589

WKR
I hand loaded a 140 barnes TSX with RL 22 and got almost 3600 fps with 1" groups at 200yd out of mine! gona be putting it in a bell&carlson stock after this hunting season.. Its a sweet lil lazerbeam to 500yd. farther than that I shoot the 168 bergers I hand rolled to 3015fps and they can reach out there!!!

Damn. At what powder charge? I am about to start loading my T3 7RM with the 150 and R22 and was looking for 3k-3100.

Thanks

GKPrice

Banned
Elkfitness - you may be better served to send your '06 to Jesse at JES reboring in Cottage Grove OR - one of his specialties is the 338-06 - you'd end up with a cut rifled bore and that little bit of metal removed (every ounce counts) I and 2 friends have had at least 8 rifles done and he's affordable, extremely proficient and fast - he has a website

whomever is posting 3600 FPS 140 TSX claims from a 270 WSM had better be sure to wear safety glasses and armor when you shoot those loads !! No offense but I've loaded for 7 Tikka and 4 Kimber 270 WSM's and never come close to those claims although I'll say that the 270 WSM is the best of the lot

PLEASE DO NOT COPY MY LOAD TILL YOU WORKED UP IN UR OWN RIFLE!

7mm Rem. Mag. 68.2gr of RL22 is my charge and its 3580 fps Avg. with 18 fps variances.. I get 3 loads out the brass before the primer pockets are done then I have to use the Wolf primers the are tiny bit bigger than the WLRM primers and then I get about another 3 loadings.. This data is at 3000ft elv. 85 deg. temp.

PLEASE DO NOT COPY MY LOAD TILL YOU WORKED UP IN UR OWN RIFLE!!!!!!! A SIMPLE 10 SHOT LADDER TEST WILL REVEAL UR MAX LOAD IN UR GUN!!!

If this second part is for me I no where in my post said .270WSM.... I have the superlite tikka in 7mm Rem. Mag. altho the primers are FLAT they are safe in my rifle as I have over 500 rounds + threw that gun..

Thanks!
BARichardson

if ur looking for a 150 class bullet check out the Barnes LRX 7mm 145gr its been giving me pretty good results in my 9 twist shillen barrel

GKPrice

Banned
Thanks, I will look him up! I was leaning towards mcgowen (sp) at the present time.

McGowen does great work but so does J.E.S. and he's ALOT more affordable but don't let the reasonable prices scare you away - Jesse has a long list of very happy customers

mt100gr.

WKR
So, I am now lusting for a T3 SuperLite and want to learn more. I cannot find them on the Tikka website. Is the Superlite an option for special order or an "exclusive" edition? Please tell me is has not been discontinued...

They carry them at sportsmans warehouse (black stock) and at cabelas (camo stock). Quite a bit less expensive at sportsmans.

GKPrice

Banned
BARichardson - THAT was my error, I DID think that was for a 270 WSM - I am still questioning though, I shoot a superlight 7mm RM and one of my best accuracy loads is 65.0 gr of RL-22 with a 168 Berger CLASSIC hunter, Norma brass and 215M primer - I haven't had the chance to chrono it but I'll drop a load if I'm over 3000 -

mt100gr.

WKR
I must admit, I am seriously considering setting up a rifle like this. I understand the LR benefits of a 20 moa rail but I am curious how capable the vortex/ Tikka combination could be without the rail? Also, with the rail, are you guys still able to hold dead on at 100 yards or does the short range suffer when you set it up this way.

If a guy put a Vortex HSLR with the moa reticle on medium rings on a zero rail or receiver mounted, what ranges could he realistically dial the scope to. (Assuming getting the scope zeroed to begin with didn't take a huge amount of elevation adjustments)???

Just curious, thanks....

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I must admit, I am seriously considering setting up a rifle like this. I understand the LR benefits of a 20 moa rail but I am curious how capable the vortex/ Tikka combination could be without the rail? Also, with the rail, are you guys still able to hold dead on at 100 yards or does the short range suffer when you set it up this way.

If a guy put a Vortex HSLR with the moa reticle on medium rings on a zero rail or receiver mounted, what ranges could he realistically dial the scope to. (Assuming getting the scope zeroed to begin with didn't take a huge amount of elevation adjustments)???

Just curious, thanks....

Looking back, I probably didn't need to do a 20 moa rail. This combo would be fine with a zero rail. Mine is sighted in at 100. I've shot a target out to 758 yards with it. I'm guessing I could still dial to that with a zero rail. I don't know shit about long range shooting compared to so some guys on here though so take it for what's its worth.

mt100gr.

WKR
Thanks Brock. ...You are the guy I want to talk to then....i am a total LR FNG. So you are head and shoulders above me... The rifle set up you have and mid-long range abilities are my goal. I want to start with a simple but effective rig that will handle the 600-800 yard dept.

I appreciate the input.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Brock. ...You are the guy I want to talk to then....i am a total LR FNG. So you are head and shoulders above me... The rifle set up you have and mid-long range abilities are my goal. I want to start with a simple but effective rig that will handle the 600-800 yard dept.

I appreciate the input.

Yeah this is probably a good set up for you then. I personally wouldn't shoot an animal past 500 with it but that's just based off my confidence in my shooting. The gun is capable. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Ill do my best to answer them!

mt100gr.

WKR
Yeah this is probably a good set up for you then. I personally wouldn't shoot an animal past 500 with it but that's just based off my confidence in my shooting. The gun is capable. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Ill do my best to answer them!

I appreciate that. Lately I am really intrigued by long range shooting...maybe hunting, eventually. I'd be lying if I said I fill all my tags with my bow, but that is always the goal for me as the seasons roll around. For some reason I really want to ring some steel at a half mile!!

Have you shot much factory ammo through your rifle? I know plenty of guys that reload, and it's on my list of "investments"....but right now I would be relying on others to feed my new pet.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Brock is shooting HSM factory ammo out of his gun right now. We may build a load for it this winter, but it is shooting really well for now.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I appreciate that. Lately I am really intrigued by long range shooting...maybe hunting, eventually. I'd be lying if I said I fill all my tags with my bow, but that is always the goal for me as the seasons roll around. For some reason I really want to ring some steel at a half mile!!

Have you shot much factory ammo through your rifle? I know plenty of guys that reload, and it's on my list of "investments"....but right now I would be relying on others to feed my new pet.
The only ammo I've shot out of this gun is HSM factory ammo. 168 gr bergers.

mt100gr.

WKR
...I knew that...I read this thread awhile back.

Good to know. Thanks. HSM is one I have looked for other applications in the past. Has anyone tried swift scirocco II's in the 7mm for long range? The BC is pretty darn good. I have had really good luck with them in the past through my 30-06's ....at least regarding on-game performance (close range) and on paper at the range. For 7mm I would be looking at the 150 grain...

...I knew that...I read this thread awhile back.

Good to know. Thanks. HSM is one I have looked for other applications in the past. Has anyone tried swift scirocco II's in the 7mm for long range? The BC is pretty darn good. I have had really good luck with them in the past through my 30-06's ....at least regarding on-game performance (close range) and on paper at the range. For 7mm I would be looking at the 150 grain...

Where are you in NW MT?

Though I haven't gotten too much into LR shooting my 7RM shooting 150grn Scirroco's has been great.