Tikka T3 Super Lite 7mm Rem Mag Mountain Rifle

mt100gr.

WKR
Where are you in NW MT?

Though I haven't gotten too much into LR shooting my 7RM shooting 150grn Scirroco's has been great.

I figured someone would be using them, and suspected they'd shoot pretty well. Thanks for the info.

I am to the north....Flathead Valley

mt100gr.

WKR
Nice. I just called down there the other night checking on one of these rifles...none in now, but I am not in a hurry. I will likely be making the trip that way though when the time comes. I will be in touch. Thanks.

mt100gr.

WKR
I know. I was holding one yesterday. Then I jingled over to Cabelas to hold a Superlite (270 win , camo stock) I think I gotta have the fluted barrel of the Superlite with the Sportsman Warehouse black stock (store exclusive...) So I can paint it up or just leave it black/stainless...guess I am just being picky:)

Thanks for the heads up, though.

mt100gr.

WKR
So, for you Tikka guys, how many of you have replaced bolt shrouds and or recoil lugs? I think the butt pad replacement is a no-brainer, but I am curious about the other offerings from Mountain Tactical.

Has anyone had the factory Tikka recoil lug get noticeably sloppy with time or the bolt shroud leaving some play in the bolt alignment?

The way Brock's stock turned out inspired me to break my Tikka down and give the gun a new look!
3901b3a6e5759faec16f84f8cfda0c0e.jpg
2b5a0341dcb2fae4c79b2c8c9ede4d1b.jpg
I also pulled the factory recoil pad and put on a limbsaver, haven't shot it yet but hopefully tomorrow.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
So, for you Tikka guys, how many of you have replaced bolt shrouds and or recoil lugs? I think the butt pad replacement is a no-brainer, but I am curious about the other offerings from Mountain Tactical.

Has anyone had the factory Tikka recoil lug get noticeably sloppy with time or the bolt shroud leaving some play in the bolt alignment?

I have put a lot of rounds through Tikkas and although all of the recoil lugs have marks in them, I've never noticed them getting sloppy at all. I did use the titanium recoil lug on the last custom Tikka that I put together. The only reason I did though was because it came with the pillars I ordered for it.

I've never replaced the recoil pad on any of them and I don't personally see a reason to do so myself.

I've also never replaced the bolt shroud on any of them before. The only person I know who has had problems with the factory shroud was littlebuf, and he actually broke his factory shroud off somehow. Not sure how he did it.

mt100gr.

WKR
Sweet! Unless the cameraman has his back to the great wide open, you haven't had to tap the LR potential to much yet. It's more fun in close anyway. Good work.

I got the kit from Mountain Tactical and it all went together very well. 20MOA rail, bolt shroud, recoil pad, and recoil lug. The replacement recoil lug fits the space tighter than the factory recoil lug which gave me more confidence of less movement.

mt100gr.

WKR
I'm liking the kit from Mountain Tactical for sure...leaning toward some combination of their components.

...next question: given the out of the box accuracy of factory rifles and the availability of aftermarket improvements for stock guns like the Tikka and the quality optics available, do you guys think setting up a rifle like this is a good route to go or would there be REAL, noticeable benefits to saving for a true custom build? Remember I am new to the LR mindset but have been shooting rifles for 20+ years.

I truly believe that most rifles are plenty accurate out of the box. Some just lend themselves to being shot well more than others. I have a Weatherby Vanguard SUB-MOA model that shoots unbelievably well and I have modified nothing on it. Same holds true for my TC ProHunter and an old Savage that I own. If i do my part, they all shoot tiny little groups. Am I correct in thinking that complementing an accurate stock rifle with a quality scope and really focusing on my marksmanship will be a good path to stepping into the LR scene? That and practicing a lot...

mt100gr.

WKR
maybe "correct" should be replaced with "reasonable". Right now, I don't think putting 2 or 3 times the dollars into a rifle will necessarily equate to LR success. What say you?

...the reason I ask is I met a guy who is a self-proclaimed LR fanatic and he keeps rattling off all these things I NEED to do to get a rifle built for this sort of thing. I feel like I need to start at the beginning here, but also don't want to miss any head starts that I may be overlooking.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Starting with a Tikka or other accurate factory rifle is a great way to go. We shoot Tikkas out to some pretty good ranges all the time (5-800yds) with good results.