Tikka T3 Lite...let's make it lighter!

suchee

FNG
Just bought a superlite in 300wsm, very interesting project. ANy progress? new pics?
What was your optic choice?
I'm really tempted to get the vx-II FX 6X33, but never had a magnum rifle.

Last edited:
OP
Mtnboy

Mtnboy

WKR
I'm actually getting ready to ship it off to get the barrel fluted in the next couple weeks.

Just need to decide, straight or spiral?

suchee

FNG
I'm actually getting ready to ship it off to get the barrel fluted in the next couple weeks.

Spiral to match that bolt!
Or check these guys out... Any design you can think of
Twistedbarrel.com

dual spiral flutes ( diamond flute) is the lightest option... but im guessing it will only drop 1-2oz as I did a 8 flute on my bull barrel I think also .150 deep and lost 4oz.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
You may want to take a look at and talk to Wayne at http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/index.html. He does do stocks for Tikka rifles. I have two on Rem. Model 7's and they are nice. My 308 comes in at 5lbs 13oz with leupold fx 3x9, talley two piece, 21 inch barrel and one of Wayne's stocks. Shoots under an inch all day. He may also be able to build a blind magazine instead of a clip. I'm not sure on the Tikka. He did that on my model 7's, but they had bottom metal as opposed to a clip. You will save the largest amount of weight for the least amount of money going this route.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Talked to Wayne at Oregunsmithingllc today and he said you will save about a pound with one of his stocks on a Tikka. Also, based on the design of the Tikka action, he cannot make the magazine go away - ie - no blind magazine. Stuck with a clip. On my stock project with no re-barrel, he said he is about 3 months out. Just FYI for your weight-trimming project.

colonel00

WKR
Wow, save a pound? What do the OEM stocks weigh? Just seems like quite a bit to shave a pound but I'd be interested to hear more.

From a little searching, it looks like the OEM stock weighs around 28oz. So this custom stock weighs 12oz? That seems crazy light.

Last edited:

suchee

FNG
Mine, a superlite 300wsm, is 29oz including 2.3 oz of recoil pad. Limbsaver is 4 which I put on. Most ultralights I've been researching come in at 16, then the recoil pad, usually finishing off ~20oz.

My list of aftermarket t3 stocks weights with 4oz limbsaver
US-
Pendleton composite oregongunsmithing 20oz
McM Edge 24-26
MPI 20 and lower
Manner's 24-26
Brown precision 20
Lonewolf... Which i can't find on google anymore

Canadian - wildcat 20,Robertson comp ?
NZ- SG gunstocks 21
Aus- bolly touch tikka 21

Anyone else? What are the euro ones? My CDN dollar is crap to the US now

Choosing a 20oz stock cuts off roughly 11oz with limsaver, which is the weight of my leupold vx2 ultralight w rings

Also cutting barrel to 21in (3 oz off) should get me out the door at 5.6 pounds! Too bad they don't make true short action

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
Where did you find a 300WSM Superlite? We're still talking Tikka right? I didn't know they made that one. When I was shopping last year, the only Superlites were smaller calibers and the 300WM. Is this a new offering?

suchee

FNG
Also researching the fluted weight of the t3 superlight vs t3 lite.

Just using cabeles listed weights, the 300wsm says 6.4lb (they list all magnums as this, 24in barrel, non mag is 6.2) my fluted 300wsm superlight is 5.8, that's a saving of 9.6 oz with a factory flute

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
I don't think it's quite that much. But it also depends on caliber and length of barrel.

suchee

FNG
Where did you find a 300WSM Superlite? We're still talking Tikka right? I didn't know they made that one. When I was shopping last year, the only Superlites were smaller calibers and the 300WM. Is this a new offering?
Last one in Canada! Cabelas

colonel00

WKR
Hmm, maybe something new. I really debated the WSM but it wasn't available in the Superlite here, at least last year.

That said, I really have grown to love the Win Mag even in a light rifle.

I looked again and as far as I know, the Superlite is only available from Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse and I still don't see it offered in 300 WSM. I do see it on the Cabela's.ca site though. Very interesting that it's only available in Canada.

Last edited:
OP
Mtnboy

Mtnboy

WKR
What kinda price are we talking On the Oregon Gunsmithing stock?

Canadian - wildcat 20,Robertson comp ?
NZ- SG gunstocks 21
Aus- bolly touch tikka 21

Anyone else? What are the euro ones? My CDN dollar is crap to the US now

Choosing a 20oz stock cuts off roughly 11oz with limsaver, which is the weight of my leupold vx2 ultralight w rings

Also cutting barrel to 21in (3 oz off) should get me out the door at 5.6 pounds! Too bad they don't make true short action

I'm not sure anybody except possibly MPI makes a stock for a Tikka that finishes in the 20 oz range. I did a Wildcat Composites stock on a remington a few years ago, and liked it. It was 18 oz as a blank, and 21+ oz after paint and pad which I thought very light. I harassed him for a while about making a Tikka version, and he kept promising he was going to work on it, but as far as I know he never did.

I don't think Robertson Composites actually exists anymore.

LAW stocks (formerly High Tech Specialties) supposedly makes a Sako stock that perhaps could be fit up. Going to be heavier than 20 oz though.

I'd like to see and hear the results on this. I contemplated this with my T3 lite in 300 wsm. Mines already a handful with the barrel cut to 22'' so I backed off of the fluting.

I'll be watching.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Prices are listed on the website linked above. I would just call Wayne and talk to him about the cost. He makes quite a few different options and weight varies by style. The lightest he makes is a hand made stock which I have on one of my 308's. I'm not sure which styles he makes for the Tikka. The price is in the $600 to $700 range, with the handmade stock a little more. They are very nice stocks with a very durable finish. I have an ultralight arms rifle which is an awesome rifle, but Wayne's stocks are better in many ways than the ultralight arms.

Lone Wolf has been purchased and absorbed into Proof Research located near Columbia Falls,MT. The reason I started using Pendleton Stocks is the cost of Lone Wolf Style Stocks went up considerably after Proof purchased them. I have a 308 and the wife's 7-08 were done by Proof. The finished product was fine, but the time-line was not even close to what they said and the price was quite high. They said they were going to double the price for future stocks. Once I found Oregunsmithing, I wouldn't ever use anyone else as long as they are in business.

Wayne has always completed jobs in the time-frame he stated and for a fair price. The guns I have had worked on have all been excellent shooters. The 260 he worked on for me is amazing.