Tikka Accuracy Issues Off Shooting Rest

Pro953

WKR
Sounds like it’s you and not the rifle which is most often the case in my opinion. I know all of my rifles shoot better than I can...

I would usually agree with you, but I went through this process with my exact same rifle. The light T3 and the snappy .270 recoil can be tricky. That said my .270 was picky with box ammo, and gives me a lot of fits on my hand loads as well. As a counterpoint my T3 300 win mag is much more forgiving. While the recoil is more significant it’s more of a push than a snap/pop type recoil. And flexible with loads as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
General RE LEE
I would usually agree with you, but I went through this process with my exact same rifle. The light T3 and the snappy .270 recoil can be tricky. That said my .270 was picky with box ammo, and gives me a lot of fits on my hand loads as well. As a counterpoint my T3 300 win mag is much more forgiving. While the recoil is more significant it’s more of a push than a snap/pop type recoil. And flexible with loads as well.

Did you find a solution for the .270? I really like everything about the T3X Forest and thankfully I found a factory ammo it shoots well.

Motown

WKR
With Tikkas I have found that shooting them off of a rest at the bench instead of a bipod helped me tremendously. You also can’t let them free recoil and have to lean into them a bit as well. I have learned from my mistakes over the years with Tikkas and doing this has really helped to shrink my groups

JakeM51

FNG
Is your hand pulling the rifle back into your shoulder pocket correctly?

OP
General RE LEE
Is your hand pulling the rifle back into your shoulder pocket correctly?

I think so. I was able to remedy the accuracy issues that led me to my original post by not allowing the gun to free recoil.

JakeM51

FNG
This is how your suppose to grip the rifle. Free recoil shouldn't really be used ,unless the gun is in some sort of rest that makes it recoil strait back. These type of rests are what BR and F-class shooters are using with their specific setup with the fore end made to sit in the rest. Free recoil just isn't the best for more dynamic rifles.

OP
General RE LEE
This is how your suppose to grip the rifle. Free recoil shouldn't really be used ,unless the gun is in some sort of rest that makes it recoil strait back. These type of rests are what BR and F-class shooters are using with their specific setup with the fore end made to sit in the rest. Free recoil just isn't the best for more dynamic rifles.

Thank you

Lawnboi

WKR
Super easy to see what’s going on even on a 100 yard range. Slap up a dozen 1” dots. Shoot from different positions at each one, see what happens.

IME stock tikka stocks do not take well to different torque, especially on the foreend. #1 reason I restocked my tikka rifles.

On top of that the dot drill really teaches you what’s stable, and what isn’t. Once you leave the bench things you may not think are super important like being square on the rifle make big differences.

This is part of learning a rifle that many hunter sadly do not do. Just cause it shoots great on the lead sled dosnt mean squat.

Fire_9

WKR

You are basically agreeing with me. The 270 is tough to handle because people, myself included, have shittty fundamentals. If you shoot a rifle how it’s meant to be shot, it’s a non issue