The realization of field shooting ineffectiveness

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This is true. However, not everyone has an hour to tend/hang targets every time they go shoot. The difference very well could be having time to shoot or not on a given day based on whether you need to hang steel.
We are all busy... I have a full time job plus side work here and there, two kids, church most Sundays, blah blah blah.

I can wake up and 4 AM and either workout/hike or go shooting, and be back for my first meetings or at a job site, by 7 AM easily. Finish up work around 4 depending on the day, hang with the kids after school, have dinner, hang with the kids before bed, hang with my wife for a couple hours, in bed by 10.

Not doing something you love at least once per week is, in my opinion, just an unwillingness to do so. Where there's a will, there's usually a way.

We are all busy... I have a full time job plus side work here and there, two kids, church most Sundays, blah blah blah.

I can wake up and 4 AM and either workout/hike or go shooting, and be back for my first meetings or at a job site, by 7 AM easily. Finish up work around 4 depending on the day, hang with the kids after school, have dinner, hang with the kids before bed, hang with my wife for a couple hours, in bed by 10.

Not doing something you love at least once per week is, in my opinion, just an unwillingness to do so. Where there's a will, there's usually a way.

Good for you. I cant go shoot at 5 AM. And if I could, i wouldn't want to spend 90 minutes hanging and taking down targets and another half hr driving for 30 minutes of shooting.

Your "If there is a will, there's a way" point is generally valid. But "the juice aint worth the squeeze" is valid for lots of people too. If i'm going to burn 2.5 hours before work in the morning, 30 minutes of shooting is hard to justify vs other things a guy could accomplish.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Good for you. I cant go shoot at 5 AM. And if I could, i wouldn't want to spend 90 minutes hanging and taking down targets and another half hr driving for 30 minutes of shooting.

Your "If there is a will, there's a way" point is generally valid. But "the juice aint worth the squeeze" is valid for lots of people too. If i'm going to burn 2.5 hours before work in the morning, 30 minutes of shooting is hard to justify vs other things a guy could accomplish.
Good for you too! I do understand what your saying and totally recognize the "juice not being with the squeeze" for many/most folks. I will say this though...

I know several guys and gals who are shooting and hunting folks. I have asked them in person, if you have time to scroll your life away on tiks toks and instagrams, you could be doing something fun and/or productive. Go look at your phone and there's a way to see how much "screen time" is used for each App. If you're being honest, I'll bet the vast majority of folks who complain that they have "no time for anything" have a minimum of 3 hours per day on those Apps.

If they get some sort of enjoyment out of it, and would rather do that then a hobby or whatever, it's no worries. I just find the "no time" excuse in general, to be a lazy one.

OP
Strider

Strider

Lil-Rokslider
Hearing stories and seeing threads like this sure make me appreciate the countless tweetie birds and rabbits I killed growing up. Not even realizing that target acquisition and getting stable "enough" as fast as possible in the field is what leads to kills. It was just endless hours of unintentional practice, that now leads to pretty easily obtained kills in the field, without a big cluster F every time.

Starting shooting as an adult is actually quite the task to get proficient at. I used to judge quite heavily when people I was with couldn't find and kill something. Like dude "it's right there, point the gun at it, and then look through the scope" lol. But now I realize that it actually takes a ton of practice to even just point the gun DIRECTLY at the animal so that it's immediately in the scope.

I have good respect for anyone taking on the challenge as an adult and putting the work in to become proficient and effective. Good on you!!!

I still intentionally practice and kill squirrels/coyotes regularly from random positions and it certainly helps during the off season. I also plan to include even more intentional positional practice as well.
I wish target acquisition was my problem. It's more the jerking really dirty while under pressure Hahaha. I've hunted since I could walk. Just never shot under a timer while being watched by 8 of my peers who I'm competing against.
I have lots of dry fire and timed drill practice to do!

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Call me inspired. @justinspicher and I will be hosting a rifle challenge in a couple weeks.

turbo406

FNG
If anyone in the billings or central mt area wants to try to get something going I'd be interested in helping out