The realization of field shooting ineffectiveness

Weldor

WKR
That's my problem, FS shuts down shooting in the NF for fire reason's. BLM is in the desert 110 degree's. No ranges with a resonable distance(driving) with over 100 yrds. When they lift the restrictions it's hunting season. I personally don't like banging steel during someone else's hunt. Done with the whining. I do try to field shoot as much as possible. I can see all my bad habits when I start up then transition to normal. Muscle memory suffer's between sessions for sure. When we hit Texas for our annual deer hunt first thing out is 600 yd 12 inch steel plate..

Last edited:
That's my problem, FS shuts down shooting in the NF for fire reason's. BLM is in the desert 110 degree's. No ranges with a resonable distanc(driving) with over 100 yrds. When they lift the restrictions it's hunting season. I personally don't like banging steel during someone else's hunt. Done with the whining. I do try to field shoot as much as possible. I can see all my bad habits when I start up then transition to normal. Muscle memory suffer's between sessions for sure. When we hit Texas for our annual deer hunt first thing out is 600 yd 12 inch steel plate..
A suppressor opens up options.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
We have hunting matches down here in New Zealand that are field style. Rifle weight limit to10# max. 60 seconds for the stage. Only first round scores. You get two follow-up rounds to figure out what went wrong if you want, but they do not score.

Shooting positions are prone, shooting off packs, sitting, offhand, fence posts, etc. Shooting around or over brush, logs, etc. No tripods. No padding yourself with bags, etc. Some stages allow no supports of any kind. Must carry all gear between stages.

Targets are animal shaped up to Wapiti/Elk sized. They are made of rubber, but the kill zone is a steel plate of appropriate size (6" to 12") and painted same color as the animal. Only hitting the plate counts. Gut shots make you cry and score nothing. Ranges are 100 to 800+ yards.

On 20 targets, extremely good shooters will do 18+. Average is in the 7-10 range if wind isn't too bad. Last match the wind was ferocious so averages probably closer to 5-7 out of 20.

For testing yourself, I keep it dead simple. Start standing with gear. You have 60 seconds to get into designated position you are practicing (sitting, pack shoot, etc). and get off a shot on 6-8" plate. Keep going back further until you can't consistently hit that plate. That is your max distance in that position.

If you want to add more excitement, run 100 yards into the position then start the timer so you are winded when making the shot.

Weldor

WKR
We have hunting matches down here in New Zealand that are field style. Rifle weight limit to10# max. 60 seconds for the stage. Only first round scores. You get two follow-up rounds to figure out what went wrong if you want, but they do not score.

Shooting positions are prone, shooting off packs, sitting, offhand, fence posts, etc. Shooting around or over brush, logs, etc. No tripods. No padding yourself with bags, etc. Some stages allow no supports of any kind. Must carry all gear between stages.

Targets are animal shaped up to Wapiti/Elk sized. They are made of rubber, but the kill zone is a steel plate of appropriate size (6" to 12") and painted same color as the animal. Only hitting the plate counts. Gut shots make you cry and score nothing. Ranges are 100 to 800+ yards.

On 20 targets, extremely good shooters will do 18+. Average is in the 7-10 range if wind isn't too bad. Last match the wind was ferocious so averages probably closer to 5-7 out of 20.

For testing yourself, I keep it dead simple. Start standing with gear. You have 60 seconds to get into designated position you are practicing (sitting, pack shoot, etc). and get off a shot on 6-8" plate. Keep going back further until you can't consistently hit that plate. That is your max distance in that position.

If you want to add more excitement, run 100 yards into the position then start the timer so you are winded when making the shot.
Sounds like a good a regiment and fun way to stay on the game. South island or north? some rough country down there. Good cross canyon shooting.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
South Island. They may do one up north, but I don't recall.

Last shoot it was so windy up top you had a hard time standing. On 300y shots my 270 was blown completely off the target by the wind which has never happened before. It was gale force windy. I didn't have a Kestrel and was really regretting forgetting to bring it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You can learn a lot by implementing what @Formidilosus has been teaching here if you're willing to actually try it.

I was a very experienced shooter and killer, thought that my ways were the best ways because of how successful I was. Once you swallow some pride and actually try new things, it's amazing what you learn.

I've become a more effective shooter and killer in the last two seasons by going out and trying new things. I also can't believe what my rifles have been through, yet continue to shoot dead on at all ranges. No "re-zeroes", "loose screws", "vibrations causing poi shifts", etc. It's very refreshing to know when I miss that it's 100% me sucking and not an equipment issue. I was an absolute "re-zero" NAZI and even chastised folks who would dare say they wouldn't check zero after bumping a rifle. I've learned a lot.

Your last comments are absolutely spot on!

"My take away is this. If you want your on demand effective range to be over 300yds in the field. You must go shoot in the field. You can not just practice field position on a flat range. You must go shoot in the field under some sort of stress. It's almost like Form knows what he is talking about...

I would encourage every one to hump some steel into the woods and have a fun / eye opening day with some friends."

Rippey715

FNG
Dry fire practice can help a lot. I use a DFAT trainer and their target cards, and a little giant ladder or other props in the garage. Just keep building positions, checking body and wobble zone, work on perfect trigger presses, and practice a couple times a week. Really helps. IMG_3611.jpeg

Poser

WKR
Dry fire practice can help a lot. I use a DFAT trainer and their target cards, and a little giant ladder or other props in the garage. Just keep building positions, checking body and wobble zone, work on perfect trigger presses, and practice a couple times a week. Really helps. View attachment 731680

I just looked those cards up. That’s a pretty cool way to practice I hadn’t considered before. I usually dry fire difficult shots extensively before shooting in order to get more reps in, but hadn’t really considered doing that at home.