Best Accuracy Upgrade for a Tikka

What is the best accuracy upgrade for a Tikka?

• New barrel

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • New action

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upgrade stock/chassis

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Start reloading

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Do another long range course

Votes: 28 45.2%

• Total voters

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I tried 7-8 different factory loads: partitions, accubonds, berger HH, Barnes TTSX and another Barnes, maybe a couple I can’t recall. The ELDX was the best. This was in both the 6.5 and the 7mm. I have found that either my chrono is off or the MV varies widely. I buy in bulk and only shoot the same lot #, btw.

Velocity ES and SD does not have nearly the effect on group size a lot of times, even at medium to long range, that people believe. I have multiple rifles where that consistently shoot 1.1-1.3 MOA for ten round groups at 500 and 800 yards (the same MOA they do at 100y btw) that have ES more than 60.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
Velocity ES and SD does not have nearly the effect on group size a lot of times, even at medium to long range, that people believe. I have multiple rifles where that consistently shoot 1.1-1.3 MOA for ten round groups at 500 and 800 yards (the same MOA they do at 100y btw) that have ES more than 60.
So only using a powder thrower for 24.5 grn of TAC isn’t going to ruin my chances if consistent hits due to a shifty ES? Groups about 1.2moa 10 shot at 100yds. I got into the 223 game for more shooting not more time at the bench so I’ve been trying to find an “efficient to make and shoot” load.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So only using a powder thrower for 24.5 grn of TAC isn’t going to ruin my chances if consistent hits due to a shifty ES? Groups about 1.2moa 10 shot at 100yds. I got into the 223 game for more shooting not more time at the bench so I’ve been trying to find an “efficient to make and shoot” load.

Generally no. However, shoot it to find out.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Are you positive it’s not barrel mirage? And what do you find consistent? That the groups get bigger as you fire more rounds?

This group was shot with the suppressor hot enough water was sizzling, the barrel would burn you-

View attachment 580914

This was shot ten rounds later, and the barrel now was to the point that water sizzled on it-
View attachment 580916

Barrel mirage from heat will effect groups, but it isn’t the barrel being hot causing issues. It’s the mirage effecting the apparent image. Using mirage shields with properly stress relieved and assembled rifles, I have shot dozens and dozens of thin barreled rifles including large magnums, to where they burned you when you touched them- and with a mirage shield the apparent cone was unchanged from “cold”. There is lots of issues that can make things appear as if they are causing things, it doesn’t mean they are.

I defer to your knowledge on this one. I’m of the caveman mind “barrel hot- group no good”. Care to share some info on mirage shields? Not something I’ve used or know much about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Harvey_NW

WKR
If you're feeling triggered Harvey, go ahead and use that ignore button. Kidding, this is just sharing data.
Not triggered at all, I just find it comical that a guy who's taken training courses and shoots other rifles fine, is trying to diagnose a potential issue with a rifle system, and your recommendation is to get a new stock and waste more money shooting more factory ammo.

@TheCougar although uncommon, there are such things as Tikkas that just don't shoot very well. If you feel you're a pretty fundamentally sound shooter and none of the multiple types of ammo you've shot will group acceptably, I'd be looking into a prefit. No amount of new stock, new scope, or better shooter will make a shitty shooting rifle shoot better.

The guys at Preferred Barrel Blanks treated me well, here's a 10 shot group from 2 different days from one of their barrels in a Tikka action and factory stock.

20230219_164616.jpg