Tikka 300 WSM magazine options for extra COAL

BjornF16

WKR
I was hoping for good feedback. For now, I’m thinking sticking with OEM and using 185 Juggernauts at 2.860”

Unknown Munitions indicated they were going to develop Tikka mags as well. Don’t know how long that will take

Unckebob

WKR
I have mag length issues with my current 300 wsm so I always had in my head I would get a tikka and swap out the magazine and bolt stop and have the ultimate handloading setup. After further research I'm not so sure. I plan to stick with the OEM stock. Options I see are -

Tikka long action mag - too narrow, needs modification
Swap out long action internals into wsm magazine - requires modification , cutting
Hells Canyon Armory - only allows 2 shells with factory stock without shimming
Mountain Tactical SA - 3" COAL - how much does this buy you?
Mountain Tactical LA - I've read mixed reviews on how wsm feeds in the long action - nose dives, too far of a gap
Swap with AICS dbm - not really interested in this style of magazine release for a packing around hunting rifle, and the cost.

Anyone have experience? Other options? I was hoping the PRC mag would work but sounds like it is too narrow as well.

Thread Jack: Do your mags sit close to flush (I heard they did)? My 6.5PRC sticks our more than I like.

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a couple prc mags and swapped the bottoms and spring with my wsm mags. Works great and doesn’t hang way out. Holds 3 rounds.
Tell me more…

so the Franken-mag is PRC body and follower with WSM spring and bottom piece?

I broke a Tikka mag trying to take the bottom off by pressing on the detent clips. Also curious how you took one apart…?

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
Tell me more…

so the Franken-mag is PRC body and follower with WSM spring and bottom piece?

I broke a Tikka mag trying to take the bottom off by pressing on the detent clips. Also curious how you took one apart…?
Yes I had to pry it apart. Didn’t break on me but I felt like it might.
Ya so wsm spring and bottom with prc body and follower. Works great for me.

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
Yes I had to pry it apart. Didn’t break on me but I felt like it might.
Ya so wsm spring and bottom with prc body and follower. Works great for me.
I’m trying to picture / understand why having the WSM bottom helps? Is it deeper than the PRC bottom and thus allows a 3rd shell?

gerry35

WKR
So does the 6.5 PRC magazine work with 300 WSM? Do you know the coal of 6.5 PRC mag?
My 6.8 Western build started as a recently made T3x in 300 WSM and there were no modifications needed to use a 6.5 PRC magazine. I measure it as 3.07" which beats the stock magazine at 2.9".

Interestingly I tried to do exactly what @eightyeight mag did and put together the PRC top and follower with the stock mag bottom and it didn't work. I'll have to try again to make sure.

OP
G
208 ELD-Ms stabilize in my 11” twist Tikka, so I sprung for a couple of HCA Gen 2 magazines and a long bolt stop.

Loading the 208’s at 3.01” COAL
Makes me think about just going with the short action mountain tactical mag. They claim 3" coal. I have the long action mt mag and bolt stop but haven't installed yet. I don't think I need that much room for my purposes