Threadlocker hit insert

So how are you guys using hot melt? Heating the inserts then sliding them in the shaft?

Yes.

I heat insert, not too much, just enough to melt. Then spin it in the hot melt, spin it into the shaft, put shaft under running water for a few seconds to keep it cool.

To remove I just heat a field point til the insert will pull, keeping the carbon away from the flame, and using a small flame the whole time anyways.

Several years now I have mostly gone to hot melt in carbon. Bore brush the shaft, drop in acetone, then wipe inside with a q-tip. Have had very few points pull.

Obviously you’re not using the insert tool. Field point?

I don't use hits.

But I have an insert tool.

I think Iron Will makes an insert tool from SS for hit inserts that it would be feasible with.

I was just answering from the perspective of putting hot melt inserts in carbon, the go in the same way, just removal is different.

Pramo

WKR
I have used HIT's since Axis arrows came out in 5mm and 4mm arrows, if you want them to work correct you need to use a slow set epoxy.

The other option is have mushroomed arrows

I will bet you’re going to lose your tips and inserts in a target using that stuff.

Thats actually a great way to blow up an arrow. I had 2 arrows with HITs that didn't bond to the arrow and the end of the arrow exploded because the tip was essentially floating in the front and jammed backwards into the shaft on impact

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I mean do whatever you want, but if you're not patient enough to use epoxies how can you be patient enough to bow hunt :ROFLMAO:?

MattB

WKR
Obviously you’re not using the insert tool. Field point?
I use low temp hotmelt and the IW insert tool w/ HITs. Just don't use too much heat. I use a tea candle to warm the exterior of the shaft during the process. Been doing this for 15+ years when indexing heads with no issues.

OP
M

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
So you're saying the internet needs me to shoot an arrow into something to prove it... Well shit, list some options for me to shoot. Preferably ones that wont explode the arrow with your "acceptable" adhesives.

MattB

WKR
So you're saying the internet needs me to shoot an arrow into something to prove it... Well shit, list some options for me to shoot. Preferably ones that wont explode the arrow with your "acceptable" adhesives.
Plywood is a pretty safe option. Just make sure to video it and post it up.

It has honestly peaked my interest, I'd just do an ultimate yield test. You could take a short section of shaft, put inserts in both ends, then pull or hang and stack weight until it moves.

Maybe you are happy with the results you got just pulling on it, I'd test it more. As many Axis arrows get mushroomed from the insert moving, I think it takes some pretty strong stuff to hold that hit. Just test it a bit more, or not.

It's not something I'm interested in trying as I think there's better alternatives out there, however if you think it's working that well, test it and find out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always test my arrow setups by shooting through 3/4" plywood straight on and then at severe angles with BH's, then I shoot them through 2x6's as well. If it still hasn't moved and lasts you for years, then perhaps it will work just fine.

BTW, hotmelt and coolmelt........and even glue gun glue has never made it past my foam target testing.

Kimsha hot melt is amazing stuff... and yes, I use it on HIT's. Just wax the field tip with bowstring wax so you can unscrew the tip later, coat the HIT insert with some glue, touch it with a lighter till it's runny, and jam that sucker down the bore.

Trial153

WKR
I guess I am not in a rush, I use only 24 hour two part epoxy claims some impact resistance. I have yet to have an insert pull out.

OP
M

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Alright nay-sayers, troll kings, and flat bills. I did your test...with a well used axis and a qad exodus.

The exodus had the tip chipped from hitting a metal tie down handle strap a few days ago.

The arrow I already knew was off, but damn, it shot terrible with this head. I did not use a broadhead collar. Hit the wrong 2x4 but the results are still there.

The shaft end had some minor pressure marking on it but nothing that would keep it from working again. Shot it with a field tip and it worked still.

Make your own decisions.

Attachments

• Resized_20220915_094543.jpeg
    Resized_20220915_094543.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Resized_20220915_095143.jpeg
    Resized_20220915_095143.jpeg
    590.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Resized_20220915_094657.jpeg
    Resized_20220915_094657.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Resized_20220915_094532.jpeg
    Resized_20220915_094532.jpeg
    747.9 KB · Views: 29

Trial153

WKR
I will give it a shot also…. See what it does in couple hours

2da8ff162fdbcb47a22511e9b21b49d7.jpg

7e546e8923c25086dd89a4a18f949eda.jpg

82dd0aa56de8628f324f102adadfa2ee.jpg

I bit, blue threadlocker and let it sit for 2 hours. I was able to pull it out by hand. It was loctite 242, not the stuff you have but I assume it’s just a copy of it. But it offered almost no resistance. And I put a healthy amount on there. But if it works for you through testing it and you’re comfortable with it, go for it. I’ve used the epoxy for 10 years or more and never had it fail. Id wait on the epoxy, but to each their own.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
OP
M

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
This stuff seems thinner. In 45 seconds I can pull out the hit tool and it doesn't move the insert. I coat it pretty well around the outside.