Threadlocker hit insert

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
So I was making axis arrows with hit insert and didn't want to wait on the epoxy.

First thing I tried was super glue.... that sets faster than I can jam that in. Wasted arrow.

Then I looked up and saw blue thread locker. I knew it wouldn't set right away, but wouldn't take forever either... maybe 5 minutes.

Does thread locker screw with the carbon, or am I genius?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Related but not using loctite,

I bought some Easton quick bond (link below) with hopes of putting some hits in. Never used before. Don’t think I put too much on. Added a tiny bit to back of insert and then used insert tool. Got it halfway in and then zero additional movement. Thought it was the ID of the shaft being off or something. It wasn’t. I think it set up that fast (20 sec) and that arrow and insert were toast.

Was quicker on the next 5 and managed normal seatment on 4 but actually toasted another one as well. Beyond frustrating.

So I was making axis arrows with hit insert and didn't want to wait on the epoxy.

First thing I tried was super glue.... that sets faster than I can jam that in. Wasted arrow.

Then I looked up and saw blue thread locker. I knew it wouldn't set right away, but wouldn't take forever either... maybe 5 minutes.

Does thread locker screw with the carbon, or am I genius?
Kimsha hot melt works well

How much epoxy had you gone thru when you came up with this?

I find when it's late at night, and I have one of those brilliant ideas, it's best to just write it down so I don't forget, and reevaluate in the morning.

Honestly, if I was going to use loctite, it would have been the retaining compound for cylinders, green stuff. Like 638 or something.

OP
M

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I have blue threadlocker. Put a light coat on a hit insert, Install, wait 10-20 minutes, shoot it. Let me know if I'm crazy.. I mean its working so far through dirt and hard bag targets.

If I remember tomorrow ill try to pull an insert out myself.

MattB

WKR
Threadlocker, like the name suggests, is designed to stop vibration from causing threaded interfaces from loosening. It is not an adhesive. People use string wax for the same purpose. Similarly, I expect you will experience similar holding strength with the loctite as if you smeared string wax on your inserts and pushed them into your arrows.

OP
M

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Used my bow draw board to get a pull weight. Pulled with one hand and took a picture of the scale with the other.

With 2 hands and not having to hold a camera I was over 70 lbs... this is gonna be my new insert adhesive.

Attachments

• 20220912_075914.jpg
    20220912_075914.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 26
Just use low heat hot melt glue. It’s softer and won’t be brittle and break the glue once it cools. Super easy to remove an insert by just heating up a screwed in fieldpoint in hot water.

Erict

WKR
Don't know if threadlocker messes with the carbon but I've never had a problem with hot melt glue. It's additional advantage was when I went to a new rest I was able to remove the inserts, cut 1/2" off arrows, and replace inserts without damage.

OP
M

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I've had bohning hot melt glue pull out more than a few times when pull out an arrow from a stuck target (field tip was a little loose and caught something on the inside) or where I hit something hard.

I won't use the stuff. It just doesn't hold up to my abuse (poor aim) 🤣

Look anyone can shill something or claim whatever is great.

Im just giving you guys another tool in your toolbox.

If I get around to trying this stuff on fletching I'll make another post on that. Good luck, let me know if you have similar results... enjoy.

MattB

WKR
Used my bow draw board to get a pull weight. Pulled with one hand and took a picture of the scale with the other.

With 2 hands and not having to hold a camera I was over 70 lbs... this is gonna be my new insert adhesive.
Try it with 400# to see if it compares to common adhesives.

Elkhntr08

WKR
So how are you guys using hot melt? Heating the inserts then sliding them in the shaft?