Threadlocker hit insert

OP
M

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I am trying this with an aluminum insert, normally I use brass 75gn. Curious if it works out the same

OP
M

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I bit, blue threadlocker and let it sit for 2 hours. I was able to pull it out by hand. It was loctite 242, not the stuff you have but I assume it’s just a copy of it. But it offered almost no resistance. And I put a healthy amount on there. But if it works for you through testing it and you’re comfortable with it, go for it. I’ve used the epoxy for 10 years or more and never had it fail. Id wait on the epoxy, but to each their own.
I tried with an aluminum insert. It took much longer to get setup well. After 20 minutes I could pull it out.

After that I took another insert and hit it up with green scotchbrite all the way around. In 20 minutes I couldn't pull it out.
Edit: (After the 20 minutes I put in a field tip and could break the insert free with vice grips as leverage. I tried the same thing to a brass one from yesterday and it did not move)

When I pulled the first one out the adhesive looked like it was half dried half wet still.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
So far so good, I can’t pull mine with pliers or a vice. Tomorrow I will shoot it into a blob if it holds up to that…we will see

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Let me know how it goes. I do not have a blob.

I shot it with a field point into a Blob, something I don’t normally do because it’s such a bitch to pull out. At least ten shots, then I used it with the rest of arrows and shot it into rhino blocks and 18/1…. I would say about 2 dozen shots total. It didn’t move.

The arrow set up is .300 Spine BEA Spartans with the 26 grain stock SS insert, then two brass weights totaling 105 grains. TAW was 524ish and I was shooting it from a 75 pound Mach 1 …. So it’s as thumped pretty in the targets.

OP
M

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I am shooting a 470 gn arrow at 245 fps. Your test was a much better representation. Thank You!

I tried it on fletching for 20 minutes and it didn't do anything. I did not scrub the fletching and try to redo the test. It just didn't stick the first time. Or dry at all.

I like to have options. I feel like this is a decent option or backup when you can't find your desired adhesive.

Trial153

WKR
Agree, I don’t know that this should or will replace a 24 hour epoxy or even hold up as well. I have inserts with that combo that have seen thousands of shots in use. But like it was said it’s good to have options and keep an open mind. Blue loktite is pretty much a staple on my archery bench, very screw on my bows have it except the limb bolts.

GreggB

FNG
I use a field point threaded into the HIT insert with it backed out a couple of threads. Coat the exposed field point threads and shoulder with gun oil, silicone or wax to keep the hot glue from adhering to it. Warm the insert up (don't over heat!) over a torch and put some melted hot glue on the very end of the insert. Heat up the glue quickly and slide the field point and insert in quickly. Let cool, back out the field point and you're done. I've been doing this for many years and have never lost an insert. I shoot fixed broadheads into pretty stiff foam and old 3D targets. Make sure you clean the inside of the shaft and the insert with acetone first.
The beauty of this is I can remove the insert or rotate my broadheads simply by putting the end of the shaft into hot water. Heat the water to almost boiling. Won't hurt the carbon at all.