Thoughts on the importance of stretching

perm_dogg

FNG
In recent years, the theory of the importance of stretching has changed a bit. Especially in the fitness world. What are some thoughts from personal experiences of doing some stretching before, after, or both, on a Mt./steep hills-type of hunt?

P Carter

WKR
As I understand it, the changed view is pretty narrow: static stretching before exercise will decrease (ever so slightly!) performance during that exercise. So today you see athletes doing kinetic warmups before their event rather than static stretches.

But that’s really the extent of the insight, as I understand it. (I could be wrong!) Stretching and mobility exercises are, otherwise, effective and advised.

I don’t have a stretching routine during a hunt or mountain event, but mobility, strength, and stretching as an overall part of a fitness routine is important.

OP
P

perm_dogg

FNG
As I understand it, the changed view is pretty narrow: static stretching before exercise will decrease (ever so slightly!) performance during that exercise. So today you see athletes doing kinetic warmups before their event rather than static stretches.

But that’s really the extent of the insight, as I understand it. (I could be wrong!) Stretching and mobility exercises are, otherwise, effective and advised.

I don’t have a stretching routine during a hunt or mountain event, but mobility, strength, and stretching as an overall part of a fitness routine is important.
For sure! I hit the gym without fail 5 days a week focusing on progressive overload and do "enough" cardio. But, this will be my first real challenge as far as hiking steep inclines with weight. Most I've done prior is the Missouri River Bluffs of South Dakota with a day pack so I want to be best prepared and not be toast after a day or two.

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
In recent years, the theory of the importance of stretching has changed a bit. Especially in the fitness world. What are some thoughts from personal experiences of doing some stretching before, after, or both, on a Mt./steep hills-type of hunt?
Can't hurt, IMO. I do intense cardio for 2 hours 45 minutes four days a week, resistance for an hour one day, volunteer running and lifting boxes and food for a local food pantry charity for five hours one day a week. I try to keep up a baseline of activity so that I don't need to stretch much before exertion. Climbed Mt Borah last year and no stretch prep done. But I'm retired and have lots of time for activities; ymmv.

P Carter

WKR
For sure! I hit the gym without fail 5 days a week focusing on progressive overload and do "enough" cardio. But, this will be my first real challenge as far as hiking steep inclines with weight. Most I've done prior is the Missouri River Bluffs of South Dakota with a day pack so I want to be best prepared and not be toast after a day or two.
If that’s your goal, maybe flip the cardio and weights - weights a few days a week and hiking/running for aerobic development for an hourish a day with one rest day (working up). But, I’m sure it’ll work either way - unless you’re doing an Alaska sheep hunt or something it’s just not that hard.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Always, if you can. Basic yoga stretches are very effective, especially for range of motion and lower back issues. I should be doing more than I do but when I take the time for 20 minutes of mild, slow and controlled yoga stretch/posing, it helps immensely.

Depending on your age, your needs and abilities will vary so finding some professional advice could help. Even spend some time with youtube videos for yoga stretching ("Yoga with Adriene" is my favorite) and do a short video a few times to figure out what helps you the most and you can then do that on your own. First and last thing each day is best for me.

Stretching is temporary and not much help, unless you strengthen the new range of motion immediately after. My low back and hamstrings finally started behaving properly when I started doing RDL's to increase the resting length of my hamstrings. My hips regained range of motion when I started squatting weight to full depth immediately after using bands and hip opener stretches to increase squat depth, etc.

Been exercising (lifting weights, cardio, playing sports) for 20 years now. When I was younger I BARELY stretched, and they were done half heartedly at best. As Ive gotten older I noticed that if I dont stretch before and after lifting weights and cardio Im a lot stiffer the next day. I dont have some 15 minute stretching routine but I do do 5-10min of kinetic stretching before lifting weights (if Im doing cardio its roughly 3 min kinetic stretching then I do a warm up like walking or slower paced biking of some for ~5min). Everyones body is different and some people may need it others may not, of those that do the duration might be different for each person. Listen to your body and see what works best to keep you healthy and injury free.

Poser

WKR
I've done it on and off quite extensively over the years. Back in the late 90s/early 2000s when I was focused heavily on rock climbing, I did quite a bit of stretching and was extremely flexible but also had some consistent pain and discomfort.

Common claims about stretching:

Reduces injury. Categorically false and there is a wealth of data to support this. The claim is that increasing the range of motion will reduce your injury proneness, but the vast majority of sports related injuries happen within a normal range of motion. In fact, I've observed crossfitters, who focus (for some reason that no one can explain) on ankle mobility tend to roll their ankles constantly when hiking. Its almost uncanny how often you hear this from Crossfitters. Your ankle for example, needs to be stable.

Increases recovery. Somewhat false. Soreness is damage at the cellular level. All the stretching in the world isn't going expedite repair at the cellular level. Now, stretching can help you "feel" better which can have a physiological effect, but its not going to change the recovery cycle itself.

I do some light stretching every morning and sometimes again at night. I feel "better" afterwards and prefer feel slightly stretched out in the morning vs. not. When I experience a tight lower back, its almost always originating in the hips and even the calves, so I tend to focus on that.

Mobility + Strength. Doesn’t matter how flexible a weak muscle is, or if the chassis holding those muscles can’t move in the proper planes of motion.

TSAMP

WKR
Some areas of strength/mobility are pretty difficult to measure for the average joe. Your body compensates more than you realize.

For example. I'm an active guy who runs and bikes. I ran a 10k weeks ago around a 7 min mile pace. That said i've been dealing with calf pressure that would sideline me.

After visiting a PT and actually getting muscle length measured. It turns out your boy isn't flexible at all and has far less mobility than is required of a typical "runner". They did a gait analysis and red flagged several problem areas.

A couple weeks of silly stretches and exercises to strengthen and I'm feeling pretty good.

From an athletic performance perspective flexibility is need based.
Tae Kwon Do competitors, Gymnasts and Ballerinas have a greater need for flexibility than endurance athletes.
Absolute strength is more important than flexibility.
Stretching doesn't reduce injury risk.
If you enjoy stretching do it
If you don't I wouldn't put the time into it.

A basic mobility routine has a lot to offer.
Good Journey!