Thorofare Outfitters Wyoming

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody have any references for Thorofare Outfitters in Unit 60 Wyoming? Looking at booking a trip with them but can't find much in the way of reviews.

jpe5714

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted there twice with them. (with PA Hunter)
awesome country for sure and as real as it gets. We didn't draw this year with only 1 point, but I'm going next year for the 1st archery hunt

wyosteve

WKR
Just curious for those that hunted with them. Do they leave from the Deer Creek trailhead or Pacific Creek or Turpin Meadows?

elkguide

WKR
From pictures on their website it appears to be Deer Creek Pass that their hunters are returning over.

OP
pchrisla

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the replies, looks like I'm going to go ahead and book a trip with them. I'm glad to hear its not a canned trip as that was my worry.

PA Hunter

WKR
Just curious for those that hunted with them. Do they leave from the Deer Creek trailhead or Pacific Creek or Turpin Meadows?
Deer creek pass about 7 hr ride with break at halftime. You will walk some going in and be at camp before dark. They don’t mess around getting you in. This is a pretty organized operation and you will have a 2-3 person all tent with a wood stove. They are all hard workers and it’s country everyone should see.

wyosteve

WKR
I've been across Deer Creek pass a number of times in recent years. Get ready for a bit of 'pucker' factor for the last 1/2 mile before you cross the pass! And get your butt ready for the saddle!

OP
pchrisla

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Lol yea, I hear it's pretty nerve wrecking. I ride a decent bit, but not much will prepare for a 7 hour ride..

elkguide

WKR
The ride in is worth the price of admission. Those views are spectacular. Before the wolves were introduced, we used to see elk, deer and occasionally a black bear on most every ride in. Rode that trail for years while working for another outfitter.

One of my favorite memories of that ride was when I rode out with a group of hunters on the 26th of September and I was hot with only a T-shirt on. I came back in with the next hunters on the 28th and had to walk most of the way in to break trail for the horses because that much snow had fallen. We had to shovel the pass to get through!

wyosteve

WKR
elkguide, were you in there the year ( I think about 25 yrs ago) when they got so much snow in an Oct. storm that all the outfitters had to go out through Turpin or Pacific Creek? No one could get out over Deer Creek!

OP
pchrisla

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
One is all it took this year for me luckily. And my hunt for 3rd rifle this year is booked. Can't wait to visit the Thorofare.