Wyoming Thorofare Elk Questions

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
I know there are a number of threads on the Thorofare in Wyoming, but I had a few questions that weren't quite answered by those threads.

In short, I'd love to hunt the Thorofare. Being honest, I'd love to do an archery hunt, an early rifle hunt, and a migration hunt there. However, I currently don't have that OnlyFans money rolling in, so I'll probably have to pick one. My main priorities on a Thorofare hunt are 1. See and experience the country, and 2. Have a chance and getting a bull. I love archery hunting elk, and that has led me to two questions.

1. Would it be better to book with an outfitter for the archery season, or talk to the outfitter about going first week of rifle (starts September 20) and taking a rifle and bow, and bow hunting the first 4 days and rifle hunting the last 1 or 2? (If outfitters would even go for that)

2. Are there any outfitters that have a good reputation for archery hunting in the Thorofare? (I'm mostly looking at Constant Quest, Yellowstone Outfitters, Triangle X)

3. Most of the Thorofare outfitters are booked years in advance, but are there any, knowing I'm a Wyoming resident and can get the tag any year, that will be able to squeeze me into a trip without waiting multiple years?

Other notes of information, I'm currently a Wyoming resident, so obtaining a general is pretty easy (at the current moment, no telling what will happen in the future with my residency), and I've done some on foot day hunts from trailheads on both the Jackson and Cody side of the Thorofare, but not going very deep (especially when considering the size of the Thorofare). I've gotten into elk on both sides, just no kills yet. You might wonder why I don't just keep doing that, and the answer to that is, those experiences have been awesome, with lots of potential for future awesome, but still not the same experience as being mile deep on horseback in the wilderness. I'd love to just saddle up some horses and go DIY, but I'm also fully aware of my current lack of skills as a horseman to attempt that. (Also something I'm planning on amending).

Mojave

WKR
Wyoming native, grew up hunting elk in the Winds and in Montana horseback.

If you are of the financial situation that dropping $5000-8000 works and you can do it, you should. I don't have any experience with the Thorofare. It is supposed to be the mecca of great bulls, big bears and wolves.

You will never financially recover the cost of getting set up for horses. 3 horses or mules x$8000, plus a bigger truck and a trailer and tack and a feed bill. Unless the horse hobby is one you enjoy as much as the hunting hobby.

OP
JP7

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming native, grew up hunting elk in the Winds and in Montana horseback.

If you are of the financial situation that dropping $5000-8000 works and you can do it, you should. I don't have any experience with the Thorofare. It is supposed to be the mecca of great bulls, big bears and wolves.

You will never financially recover the cost of getting set up for horses. 3 horses or mules x$8000, plus a bigger truck and a trailer and tack and a feed bill. Unless the horse hobby is one you enjoy as much as the hunting hobby.
Thanks for the input! Also been part of the consideration. Horses year round gets expensive fast. I guess another part of going guided was hoping to learn more about how to do the whole hunting via horse back thing to see if it was something I was willing to do long term before making that sort of investment.

WyoKimber

FNG
I’ve worked for tx (not hunting though), know the owners of Yellowstone pretty well, and have briefly met the owner of constant quest. I’f I were booking a hunt, it would be with Yellowstone for the first rifle hunt. IMO they have the best camp, and the first rifle hunt is your best bet for a big bull. All of the camps are close enough to the park that when the lead starts flying all the smart elk tend to head towards the park. This last year two huge bulls were taken by Yellowstone during the first rifle hunt (very high 300’s). Migration hunt can be incredible but is snow dependent and if it doesn’t snow the big park bulls are not coming out. There is a reason that Yellowstone is booked out for so many years.

I was able to book Yellowstone for 2024 in the early summer of 2023. I happened to call to see how far out they were booked (through 2028 then) but they happened to have a cancellation shortly before I called for a single spot. I'll be hunting with strangers but couldn't pass up the opportunity and I'm sure will all be famous friends when its all over. Long story short, it wouldn't hurt to book for the future but see if you can get wait listed in the meantime. Particularly if your willing to go without acquaintance like I am, and given the all around price increases (outfitting and license) there may be some opportunities. As an FYI, I believe many of the Thorofare outfitters are requiring their hunters to apply in the special drawing. YO is.

Nontyp

FNG
I hunted with Constant Quest last yr and Hidden Creek this yr. Both were great hunts but I think you could get in with Hidden creek they have 3 camps and could have an opening.

Since you are a resident, I would get a list of your top 3 outfitters together and call them. Ask if you can be first in line after any last minute cancellations or if their clients don't draw. There's a good chance they could sneak you in if one of their clients falls through and you are in the area and ready to go. The thorofare is an epic place.

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Others have had some good suggestions. I would add that upon reading your post I got a strange dejavu that reminding me of my younger self. I had never heard of the place till the day before I was hauling a horse trailer thru yellowstone. Spent some time back there in the summer of 11. It stole my heart. I ended up going back again and again, and dreamt of elk hunting there. I have done just that and it was not the wilderness hunting experience I had dreamt of for years. Know several guides that have worked the area since my experiences. It can be an excellent hunt. As others have stated 1st rifle is the best bet for odds of filling a tag. Archery would be the best option by a long shot to still provide somewhat of a "wilderness experience". someone that will get you there at the right time and still provide a top notch guide is hard to come by. You are a resident, get stock and go. Go archery diy with stock and it would be epic. By mid August it can turn into a zoo. I am wrong a lot, but there are better ways to spend money as a resident of wy. No res... maybe, depends on the experience you seek

I was able to book Yellowstone for 2024 in the early summer of 2023. I happened to call to see how far out they were booked (through 2028 then) but they happened to have a cancellation shortly before I called for a single spot. I'll be hunting with strangers but couldn't pass up the opportunity and I'm sure will all be famous friends when its all over. Long story short, it wouldn't hurt to book for the future but see if you can get wait listed in the meantime. Particularly if your willing to go without acquaintance like I am, and given the all around price increases (outfitting and license) there may be some opportunities. As an FYI, I believe many of the Thorofare outfitters are requiring their hunters to apply in the special drawing. YO is.

Just curious what week are you hunting with YO? I book first rifle week 2024 as a single.

That was my favorite hunting trip I've ever done. Definitely should go whatever you need to do to make it happen at least once in your life.
Have you considered something like a hybrid Guided/ DIY where you hire someone to go with you & take care of just the livestock part?
I think your chances are much greater (especially as a resident) if you can commit to going as a single. As mentioned above especially if there are any last-minute cancellations.
If you choose to go DIY you need to make yourself comfortable with having multiple encounters with g bears & how you'll handle processing / hanging & retrieving your meat.

OP
JP7

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
Lot of good info in here! Thanks everyone!

-As far as getting stock and doing it DIY, I'd love to. Working on that, there's some less intensive trips I'd like to go on prior to to help build some skills with handling stock.
-Part of wanting to guided, is for the experience and also learning (via observation and asking questions) about hunting with stock.

Appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge!

I’m looking at booking Yellowstone. The September rifle hunt is about 35% more expensive than the Oct 9-15 rifle hunt. Anyone have any perspective on if this extra cost is really worth it? This is a lot of money for me so want to make sure I’m making an educated choice.

Jon Boy

WKR
I’d throw a recommendation for some of the outfitters in the south fork of the Shoshone. Bigger bulls, less pressure and more wild country in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I’d throw a recommendation for some of the outfitters in the south fork of the Shoshone. Bigger bulls, less pressure and more wild country in my opinion.

Who outfits out that way?

What outfitters would you recommend?

Jon Boy

WKR
Wyoming big game outfitters (formerly south fork outfitters) they’re expensive but have a true 10 day hunt. 12 days total.

Lee Livingston is up river another 8 or 10 miles and kills good bulls from what I’ve heard as well.

Nontyp

FNG
I hunted the first week with Hidden Creek and the 3rd with Constant Quest.

As expected we heard way more bugles in the first week. My 4 man group with CQ was all successful. We also seen more grizzly bears the 3rd week. My 3 man group was also 100% successful. We also seen more bulls the first week but there had been a lot of bulls killed by the time the 3rd week rolled around.

mntnguide

WKR
I’m looking at booking Yellowstone. The September rifle hunt is about 35% more expensive than the Oct 9-15 rifle hunt. Anyone have any perspective on if this extra cost is really worth it? This is a lot of money for me so want to make sure I’m making an educated choice.
September, 1st rifle, you are basically guaranteed to get into elk. They havent been pushed or shot at yet. All the guides have their opening day spots where they know elk are every year for openers; That does not guarantee you a big bull though. If you look at photos, you will see far more under 300" bulls than above being taken each year. People who have never been up there seem to think big bulls are in every herd, and its just not the case. I spent years guiding up there, and have covered basically all that country between summer pack trips and fall hunting.

The reason for the extra cost like you are asking...That late hunt in october, if there isnt any snow, you could spend the entire hunt riding 20 miles a day, and not see a single elk out of the park. Once the resident elk get shot at for a few weeks, they disappear, and without weather, it can be very tough hunting. YO is a great outfit, and they know their country very well and no doubt will hunt hard. But nobody can change mother nature. And there are plenty of years, the migration does not occur till after that season ends up there. IF you get snow, it can be a great hunt and possibility of seeing some good bulls. But, that is far from a guarantee that time of year.