Thinking of cutting down my heat sensitive 308...

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
So I go back and forth on cutting down one of my rifles. I have a 308 bergara hunter. It has a 22 inch barrel and shoots ok groups for up to 5 shots then it comes apart until i let it cool down. For that reason, it's in the back of the safe and I always find myself trying to to trade it off, which is annoying because the action, trigger, and stock all are quite decent.

I'm wondering if I could see a win win to cut it to 16 inches, get a handier rifle, and possibly see hot barrel accuracy improvements? I'm not sure if that's a long shot but I'm wondering of people have seen that type of improvement. I assume it depends on where the stresses are in the barrel, but still would be interested to hear other people's thoughts.

Bugger

Lil-Rokslider
Are you gonna be ok with the expected velocity at 16”? If so, chop away and if it works get it threaded for a can. If it shoots like shit then you’ve still got a good rem 700 clone stock and action

sdupontjr

WKR
Sell it and start over. I have several sporter barrels as well as some heavier contours. I have shot my plain Jane rwm 700 ADL 308 to where the barrel heat has a mirage and still shoots fine. My tikka t3 lite will do the same. Both will shoot sub moa after lots of shots. You have something else going on. Either the barrel heating up is touching off on stock or the ammo loads you have are in consistant. Normally if you can find the node where it shoots best, it should still shoot good if barrel is hot.