30-06 barrel cutdown results

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
The Xero is legit AF!
I got data for four rifles this morning, didn’t have enough time to shoot my longer steel range - twas my dilemma last night: multiple guns at 100 yards or the ‘06 only and stretch its legs?

Anyway:

Gun is a 20 year old off the rack Ruger Hawkeye 30-06 stainless. It was my dad’s and lived at the coast, always put away wet it seems. I got it when he passed away in 2014. Couldn’t sell it for sentimental value, but it couldn’t shoot for crap. 10 years later after numerous stocks, constant cancer treatment and more it has a Timney trigger fitted, HS Precision stock, Shilen Select Match barrel (about light magnum contour - I don’t remember the actual number) that was originally 24” (18” now) and Leupold vx5hd duplex reticle. Atlas bipod too.

Factory 178 grain ELDX shot 2630 fps average over 20 rounds. 2608-2663 was the spread.

My calculator says about 710 yards is minimum expansion velocity @ 1600 fps.

That’s WELL out of my wheelhouse for live game so I am absolutely happy with the outcome…lots more trigger time and verification of drops is going to be a great time.

Recoil with the Gemtech is better than any of my other cans. Balance is great with the bipod and a full magazine.

Overall, highly recommend, would do again.

*stares at his winny featherweight 270*

Last edited: